Poll: Belgian Grand Prix 2018, Spa - Race 13/21

Rate the 2018 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
First lap was of interest. Then it just drowned out as background noise, I usually LOVE spa, but, my god this was boring as hell.

agree - total snoozefest after 1st lap. As soon as Hamilton lost the tow, it was set in stone for the top 3 cars. Nothing changes in F1 - another boring race, total procession.

Again another race where the fastest lap of the race was 5 seconds slower than fastest qualifying lap. The whole sport has become about Saturday qualifying and not about the Sunday race.

5 seconds of a difference is mental - all this protecting the tyres, protecting the engine, brakes etc - F1 is meant to be the pinnacle of Motorsport, pushing man and machine to the limits....instead it's about overtaking no one, turning the engines down in power/modes in the race. Pathetic.

Man of Honour
Have to go with this as a longtime fan. Definitely seems to be Formula 1A and 1B at times, watching Bottas just sail by any of the midfield without trouble, really puts in to perspective the huge gaps between the top 3 and everyone else.

More so than ever. It will take a rule change to give the mid fielders and back markers a chance.

Obligatory 10/10 votes confirmed :rolleyes:

How anyone can vote that 10 is beyond me. 1 might be a bit harsh, but it is more justified. I can’t imagine them picking up any young or new fans. An absolute bore fest. Spa is usually one of my favourites.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

not calling out the other spectrum? ... oh wait
What are you suggesting... That 99% of the people posting in this thread are all trolls and that it was truly a 10/10 epic race? An instant classic?

Nope, it was one of the most boring races for a long time where literally nothing happened apart from the crash at turn 1. If that’s your idea of 10/10 then you need checking tbh.

Caporegime
Don't think I will watch monza. With a 10 place penalty (deserved) and a high speed circuit Renault are guaranteed zero points.

I still think its worst for red bull. Absolutely guaranteed to be between the A and B spev. At least the B spec can be interesting.

Is amazing the gulf between the A and B spec. That is so large red bull fit in the gap easily. They may as well stop developing the car mid season as they won't fall behind or catch up. Must be tough to know where you will finish from the get up.

Really need sprinklers at random. 50/50 chance per race, and random point in the GP. Cheapest, most effective entertainment increase there is!

Watched 45 mins of the race. 40 minutes too much.

Soldato
What are you suggesting... That 99% of the people posting in this thread are all trolls and that it was truly a 10/10 epic race? An instant classic?

Nope, it was one of the most boring races for a long time where literally nothing happened apart from the crash at turn 1. If that’s your idea of 10/10 then you need checking tbh.

I didn't give it a ten, that's not the point

if they thought it was an instant classic that's their opinion hardly trolling

Soldato
Don't really understand this boycotting F1 posts to be honest. For the first time in a while there is a major threat against Mercedes steam rolling the competition after a good 4 years of their dominance, it might not be the driver/team you like but that in itself makes for some interesting showings. Maybe I'm one of the few who having watched the sport for 25+ years can still find some entertainment to keep watching, even more so the fact this looks poised to be the closest championship fight in recent years.

Soldato
Don't really understand this boycotting F1 posts to be honest. For the first time in a while there is a major threat against Mercedes steam rolling the competition after a good 4 years of their dominance, it might not be the driver/team you like but that in itself makes for some interesting showings. Maybe I'm one of the few who having watched the sport for 25+ years can still find some entertainment to keep watching, even more so the fact this looks poised to be the closest championship fight in recent years.

Yet somehow, we're seeing very little actual racing. The design of the cars and tracks, the lack of a tyre war, cars that have to be carefully shepherded around so they don't trash their engines, limited development over a season, strict rules on passing, etc. Just many reasons why races are regularly boring and processional. Yes, they go around fast, but they don't actually seem to be fighting with each other any more.

Caporegime
Yet somehow, we're seeing very little actual racing. The design of the cars and tracks, the lack of a tyre war, cars that have to be carefully shepherded around so they don't trash their engines, limited development over a season, strict rules on passing, etc. Just many reasons why races are regularly boring and processional. Yes, they go around fast, but they don't actually seem to be fighting with each other any more.

Not really bothered about the championship myself. I watch for good races as I know the team I support cannot win. May never win.
So if the races are snooze fests feels like waste of 2 hours. At least highlights help.

Nico vs Hamilton was better year for entertainment

Caporegime
https://www.fia.com/events/fia-formula-one-world-championship/season-2018/eventtiming-information-28

Race max speeds, Speed trap in Spa is top of the hill, s1 line is just before the braking zone end of straight and full 23kph faster than the fastest 'speed trap' number in the race. Hamilton was top of the speed trap yet 7th by the end of the straight. Ricciardo managed 4kph higher than Sainz at the end of the straight and he retired fairly early and likely had a fair amount of damage (though if it reduced downforce it may have actually reduced drag). Max was 9kph slower than Ricciardo at the end of the straight but only 3kph lower in the speed trap. Drag increases exponentially, not linearly, so lower drag makes little difference at lower speeds and an ever larger difference at higher speeds.

Bottas was highest speed with the end of the straight but he also had a lower downforce/drag setup than Hamilton and he was the fastest car with the latest drs overtake also against another fast car as in you get drs/slipstream combo for longer against Perez than you would Hartley/Vandoorne.

THe list out of context as you've tried to use it, it utterly meaningless, with context the results are easily explainable. Vettel had more engine power and ran a decently high downforce design and had the slowest speed of anyone at S1 and was only 10th in the speed trap. Ericsson was 4th in the speed trap despite being a generally slow driver.

You simply can't in any way go hey, look at the speed trap, this shows that Renault have more power than people say and Ferrari isn't the fastest engine, because is just doesn't in any way work like that.

Let's also not forget how easily Vettel breezed past Hamilton on the first lap.. yet is lowest in the listed speeds at the end of that straight. So Vettel was doing at most 320kph(the fastest he went there all race) in the first lap yet drivers were hitting up to 345kph later in the race. This is the major issue, cars are MUCH faster at the end of the race but most of the top drivers have settled for position and cruise the final 15 laps not pushing the engines at all hard and also not fighting anyone so no DRS + high engine power combinations.

Also. Part of having a good engine isn't just top speed. If you can get to that speed quicker (ie torque and the ability to control it) you have a better engine. Speed trap data in f1 is so misleading, would rather they didn't use it

Man of Honour

And yet it is the least exciting on track that it has ever been, at least for as long as I have watched it. At least when Mercedes were dominant Hamilton and Rosberg stuck it to each other and we had some fantastic racing and a good bit of drama too (good thing Bottas wasn't in the team at the time). I have never watched so few races in a season, only to then watch the 'highlights' and find nothing happening in those 5 minutes either. It says it all when in yesterdays race they replayed the start incident throughout the entire race. Watch the highlights, they often skip a good 30 laps or so.

Last edited:
Soldato

JRS

JRS

Soldato
If that counts as a strop what has he got to say to not sound stroppy?

Right, that was my point. That it wasn't really much of a strop. Please don't tell me that we're going back to the days on here of people only reading every fifth word in my posts and then projecting so hard that they can be seen from the surface of the Moon...:p

re: Merc rear wing - that doesn't look like a flexi-wing, just one that isn't mounted exceptionally rigidly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting you should say that, but that’s wobble not flex.

What happened to the Ferrari flex front wing? Lots of people online discussing that ;)

Look at the upper vanes. It’s pretty extreme https://www.instagram.com/p/BTmti0GlDjh/

got any comparison videos at least the one I posted showed different teams to illustrate the point made by Maurizio Arrivabene

Back
Top Bottom