Bengals...

JRS

JRS

Soldato
squiffy said:
Lock yourself in your house for a month and see how you like it. It's a life prison sentence for cats, basically. Just because they never have been out doesn't mean they shouldn't ever experience it. If you love your pet why lock him up? I know our cat would rather be rolling around on the patio/driveway than be locked up in a room during this time of year. Our tomcat stayed out around 21 hours a day, and went missing for weeks at a time.

Our cat was locked up (effectively) for more than a month, are we cruel for not encouraging her to go back out more since she healed? Are we cruel for not letting her out at all at night?

Permabanned
OP
squiffy said:
I know our cat would rather be rolling around on the patio/driveway than be locked up in a room during this time of year. Our tomcat stayed out around 21 hours a day, and went missing for weeks at a time.

But that is just one cat; you cannot make such a broad and sweeping statement as that.

To call cat owners with indoor cats cruel is offensive. The word implies intent of malice.

An indoor cat can enjoy a life that is as enriched as an outdoor cat and one that is usually longer.

*n

Soldato
squiffy said:
Lock yourself in your house for a month and see how you like it. It's a life prison sentence for cats, basically. Just because they never have been out doesn't mean they shouldn't ever experience it. If you love your pet why lock him up? I know our cat would rather be rolling around on the patio/driveway than be locked up in a room during this time of year.
Like humans, not all cats are the same and some cat positively do not like going outside. Also, your criticism is particularly unwarranted because the majority of people who prefer to keep their cats indoors tend to love their pets which is in stark contrast to many owners who think nothing of kicking a cat out at night in all weathers and even on Bonfire night. Further, many of the cats mentioned simply can't be allowed out on their own because of kids, cars and thieves. Cats disappear, and pedigree cats seem to disappear very easily.

squiffy said:
Our tomcat stayed out around 21 hours a day, and went missing for weeks at a time.
Perhaps he was looking for a better owner ;)

Seriously, you can't judge all cats and all owners with the sort of generalisations you've been using. Of my four cats, only one actually wants to get out, but he, like the rest of them, have to make do with the full run of the house and the fenced off area we have to the back of the house which we did especially for them. It's full of pot plants, chairs and a table plus a water feature. There's no way I'd let any of them out, I've seen too many cats squished on the road or heard of too many that simply "disappeared". In an ideal world, everyone would let their cats out, but guess what? It isn't an ideal world...

Permabanned
OP
Importantly, 'outside' where I live consists of 15' drops onto concrete, cars, a river, a building site about 200m away where they're starting on the next phase od the development and, because of the last two, a bit of rat poison.

*n

Associate
fatiain said:
Instead of spending silly money on pedigree cats, why don't you get a rescue cat and donate some cash to some random cat charity?

A fair point, but he shouldn't be obliged to get a rescue cat. Being charitable is great, but that doesn't mean it should be forced.

He's already said why he wants a bengal in particular, as it's so playful apparently (Rotty's also said this).

Good on you for rescuing a cat, anyway :)

I'll put a pic of my cat up later, Chairman Meow/Taz. :D

Soldato
penski said:
Importantly, 'outside' where I live consists of 15' drops onto concrete

*n
Cats can survive much bigger drops than 15' but then again if you live in a built up area it is probably best to keep them inside, on another note me calling indoor cat owners cruel was over the top, although I still stand on my point that cats should be allowed outside all our cats were allowed to go outside and spent much of there time outside, even if the cat has been inside inside all its life it will still want to go outside as its their instincts.

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Rich1988 said:
Cats can survive much bigger drops than 15'

Yes, we all know that but it's not something I would want to happen on anything approaching a regular basis.

A friend of mine has the trunk of a pine tree leaning against his terrace for his cats to go up and down...it's about 45 feet. :/

*n

Soldato
penski said:
Yes, we all know that but it's not something I would want to happen on anything approaching a regular basis.

A friend of mine has the trunk of a pine tree leaning against his terrace for his cats to go up and down...it's about 45 feet. :/

*n

Yea I can understand that :), I am sure youll be a very good... catty dad :p .

Soldato
Barbie said:
in the nice weather though, we take them to the park on their leads and harness, and let them have a good run around chasing squirrels and the like.

Lol, to me that is really sad. And tbh i don't agree with keeping cats indoors. I find that once you've seen them hunting and climbing/running around in an open space it just seems cruel to trap them in a house/flat all day every day of every year, untill they die. Playing only with a ball of string or the odd toy.

Here's leo, playing outside:

leo4zk.jpg

Don
penski said:
I certainly wouldn't call it cruel; that's quite offensive.

Rotty - the male has won a first and a second...He has beautiful markings - marbled. The female is spotted...quite dusky.

Certainly lovely cats for £250 each.

*n

how old are they ? that could affect the price , obviusly if they have been shown then they are older than the age when kittens are usually homed

marbles are beautiful but do fetch lower prices

Associate
benneh said:
Lol, to me that is really sad. And tbh i don't agree with keeping cats indoors. I find that once you've seen them hunting and climbing/running around in an open space it just seems cruel to trap them in a house/flat all day every day of every year, untill they die. Playing only with a ball of string or the odd toy.

Here's leo, playing outside:

leo4zk.jpg

We live opposite a main road, there's no way we'd let them out not on a lead, it would just be asking for trouble.

Permabanned
OP
Rotty said:
how old are they ? that could affect the price , obviusly if they have been shown then they are older than the age when kittens are usually homed

marbles are beautiful but do fetch lower prices

They're just over two years old now I think.

They got the kittens when they were 14 weeks (if I recall correctly)

*n

Soldato
heres our cat, sadly not himself these days and has lost a lot of weight and gone deaf from old age, although he was always pretty skinny.

parents got him from a rescue home before i was born so hes atleast 19 :O has been an outside cat all the time too

dsc000048yb.jpg

the kitten loves too "play" with him, by play i mean pounce on him from top of chairs/tables/walls :rolleyes:

bengals are very nice, good choice of cat penski

Back
Top Bottom