BennyC's Intermittent Fasting & HST Journal

Soldato
OP
I'll give that a read on Friday afternoon at work :cool:

Bit of a turn around from my last update where I was feeling in a bit of a slump.

Kicked myself up the arse today at some point and had a cracking session. Considering I had a serious case of the Monday FML blues this morning!

Headphones in, head down, weights up.

Grip was giving out for BB shrugs so did some DB shrugs with the 50KG's for a couple of sets too. Also did a few reps of DB deadlifts which are brutal! Think these will be a large part of my future splits from now on.

Soldato
OP
Today was the last workout of 5's for my second cycle.

Squats at 145KG were tough. I wasn't really comfortable with them and to be honest feel like I've not been getting great activation. However I got them out as I was determined not to miss a rep! :)

Bench at 115KG, the first set felt heavy but got them all out and looked quite comfortable so my spot told me. Second set was 4 reps and third set was 3 with a gentle spot for the 4th. Cannot complain at all with the progression I've seen on my bench in 12 weeks. Which I think a lot of it is down to dips...

Dips at 45KG felt good. Perfect level of toughness and all good here.

SLDL - not a problem, 125KG had to strap up as my grip is being retarded as of late as the grip I use for chins (wide with wrists twisted outwards slightly is taking its toll.) My trunk needs a good hammering so looking forward to some proper deadlifts!

Seated row @115KG, not much to say here, pretty boring to be honnest!
Chin ups +20KG, again all fine here, nice bit of pump and quite challenging.
Shrugs, the bar was in use so I just stuck to 50's for 4/5 sets to make up some volume and also did a few DB deadlifts with them too.

I switched cable curls for DB hammer curls for 5's as I felt they were doing nothing for me at a heavy weight and cable curling a 5rm is a bit impractical if I'm honest.

Calves I go for a quick run and then some toe presses on the leg press.

Very happy with how far I've come in 14 weeks actually, including my week deload and week calculating my RM's for the second cycle.

I'm thinking of continuing either a fullbody x 3/4 days a week or a push/pull split. I might just wing it and do a mix of either for the duration of my cut as when I finish cutting I'll be back on HST again so I want to have as much freedom as possible.

Might put some pics up this evening if I have time. Weight was just shy of 89KG last time I checked. I've been eating too many bourbons! and also eating my Phd flapjacks for the sake of it. Generally been eating plenty during the 5's as I know I'll be cutting soon!

Plan is to just reduce portion sizes slightly and also lower carbs and then perform 30-40 minutes steady state CV, with the odd bit of HIIT thrown in, on my off days and maybe a little before and after training.

I'm not being too anal about it all as I'm much more relaxed in my approach to training due to how successful IF & HST has been for me.

Soldato
That's really good news BennyC, glad it's gone well for you. Do you have to hand what your 5rm's were for your last cycle? Am interested to see how strength has improved :)

I'm going to have to cut my HST cycle short by 3 or 4 sessions as I'm going to Ireland for a week on the 15th :( not sure whether to start more isolation work, or continue HST for another cycle!

Soldato
OP
That's really good news BennyC, glad it's gone well for you. Do you have to hand what your 5rm's were for your last cycle? Am interested to see how strength has improved :)

I'm going to have to cut my HST cycle short by 3 or 4 sessions as I'm going to Ireland for a week on the 15th :( not sure whether to start more isolation work, or continue HST for another cycle!

Do a second cycle of HST. Without a doubt, the second has been far more effective in terms of strength & size than my first. You're just about conditioned for HST now so you can really push on with the second cycle.

5rms for 1st/2nd cycle

Squat: 140KG/145KG
Press: 60KG/65KG
SLDL: 125KG/125KG (changed my stance for second cycle so it was tougher)
Bench: 110KG/115KG
Pull Up: +20KG/ Chin up: +20KG
Lateral Raise: Band work / 75KG on machine :)rolleyes:)
Seated Row: 110KG/115KG (I think)
Dips: +40KG/ +45KG

I can't remember what I finished with shrugs on. This cycle was 140KG though I much prefer DB shrugs.

Good improvements across the board. Bare in mind my 5RM was initially for 1 set, so to be able to do it for 3 sets and add 5KG is good going with only 2 weeks dedicated 'strength' work.

Soldato
OP
You could always pick up where you left off if you're only away for a week?! Probably find you're quite a bit stronger too.

Weight this morning was 88.9KG. With a 5KM fasted row yesterday morning and then running about on the common in the afternoon hoofing a football about.

Soldato
I wasco siderimg it but didn't know if it'd be a problem. Should I do a de-load as well after the cycle or count the week off in Ireland as my de-load?

I weighed 76.7kg on Friday morning, 78kg on Saturday morning.... Did go out for a MASSIVE meal tho, and had epic poo's all of Saturday!

Soldato
Hey Benny,

I finished my first 15reps cycle. I struggled to begin with then I got into the swing of things. It didn't help that my shoulder started playing up. I've finished my squats 15rm at 120KG. However, I felt I had so much more in the tank. I estimate my 15rm could be 125-130KG. Surprising considering I found the 105KG start fairly difficult.

I've started to clean my diet up more. When you initially dropped weight on this HST/fasting cycle, what are your thoughts on that? Is it possible to pack strength and drop bodyfat?

Soldato
OP
I finished my first 15reps cycle. I struggled to begin with then I got into the swing of things. It didn't help that my shoulder started playing up. I've finished my squats 15rm at 120KG. However, I felt I had so much more in the tank. I estimate my 15rm could be 125-130KG. Surprising considering I found the 105KG start fairly difficult.

This I found is normal. Whilst you're increasing the weights in theory it should be getting harder but it doesn't really seem to feel much different. Not that it's easy. It's just your body is beginning to adapt to the training & load.

I've started to clean my diet up more. When you initially dropped weight on this HST/fasting cycle, what are your thoughts on that? Is it possible to pack strength and drop bodyfat?

Definitely possible, whether it's sustainable to continuously drop weight and increase strength throughout the cycle, I don't think so.

The biggest change for me was when I was training 15's fasted with fasted cardio on my off days and eating a few hundred calories over maintenance. This is tough however. To continually do this throughout the 10's and 5's when you really need the energy and extra calories to grow & repair will probably be counter productive.

On your next cycle try the 15's & some fasted steady state cardio for the 2 week block of the 15's. My composition changed dramatically I was very much :eek: at how short a space of time it changed in.

Likewise with strength. When you begin your 5's they'll feel tough. Yet 6 workouts later they still feel tough yet you're pushing 10-12KG more.

Soldato
Thanks.

10's today were quite interesting. Didn't get the burning sensation which is understandable but it was challenging nonetheless. Just need to adjust a few loads and see how it goes from there.

How many days did you cardio? Did you continue through weeks 3-6? Did you finish the cycle in 6 or 8 weeks?

Soldato
OP
Thanks.

10's today were quite interesting. Didn't get the burning sensation which is understandable but it was challenging nonetheless. Just need to adjust a few loads and see how it goes from there.

How many days did you cardio? Did you continue through weeks 3-6? Did you finish the cycle in 6 or 8 weeks?

10's & 5's are a walk in the park compared to 15's.

IIRC I didn't do any cardio after the end of week 2. Perhaps the odd bit at the weekend but that was it.

I finished lifting after 6 weeks. I did a week where I did cardio Mon-Fri, with a bench RM test on Friday. Then I had the weekend off too and the following Mon/Weds/Fri's began finding my new RM's for the second cycle. So 7 weeks technically.

Today sees the first day of my deload. I managed to strain my RC throwing some american football at the weekend and also strained my ankle playing football so a deload is welcome!

Cardio today was a 50 minute incline walk @12 degrees & 5.2km/h burning approximately 600 calories. I had a few biscuits at work today so this will normally be nearer to 4/500 calories when the changes in my diet are complete.

I've dropped one scoop of oats and stopped eating biscuits. Also I have my 3 scoops of whey/1 oats with my lunch. Normally was 1/1 with lunch and 2/1 PWO on training days or 3/2 with lunch on off days. So is now just 3/1 (whey/oats). On training days I will have 1 scoop whey with lunch and then 2/1 PWO.

Portion sizes are also being reduced slightly, for now just less vegetables in the evening. Eventually just 1 pitta instead of two and 3 eggs instead of 4. I need to do some proper calculations but basically just small changes and the introduction of cardio and not eating junk to begin with.

I will be doing CV most likely 5/6 days a week. Some shorter sessions of HIIT(Tabata rower) & 20 minutes SS others just 40/50minutes SS; which I choose will very much be random. If it's a training day it'll most likely just been 15/20 minutes SS PWO.

I've got from the 22nd of April till 3rd of May off work so will be training fasted for both CV & resistance during this time. I have my brothers 24th birthday on the 23rd so will be boozing it up as you have to enjoy yourself :) more reason to stay on track before and after.

Soldato
OP
Best of luck to you mate and I hope this cut works out for you!

Sorry I didn't reply to your text, busy day at the office.

Fair shout on going for the bulk. I think you probably needed to do more cardio or have another look over the diet. Or it may well just be a case of needing more time to stick at it.

Hopefully you're still happy with the progression you've made?

Soldato
Ne worries lad!

Yeah I might just need more time. I am slowly losing it, but then I'll put it all back on again straight away after the weekend! I'll see how doing lots of cardio helps out, aiming to do at least 400 cals on my rest days now, so that should hopefully start having an effect.

Loved the progress I've made so far, strength is up and I do think my abs are coming back out. Just I do want to put on some mass at some point, and I don't think I'll ever get lean enough for my liking! I'll give it a few more weeks either way :)

Soldato
OP
The 5's I found you feel like you're making the most progress despite the small amounts of pump you get. Tend to have more shape towards the end of the 5's.

Soldato
OP
Some updates. It's difficult to make accurate comparisons when posing & positioning is slightly different in each set of pictures. Not carrying too much fat or water (sweated out earlier) so hopefully should make some quick progress during my cut.

15s can been seen here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18594264&postcount=128

Which were after a short cut hence the looking slightly leaner.

20110405-8cmme62s16meikf1nuj755y7ph.jpg

20110405-niqubfan9ibxy9t1ptx8d3djf2.jpg

Bicep peak is a little disappointing but it's not surprising considering they barely get touched. Something to work on.

I am however happy about how my back is thickening up and traps are separating slightly. Considering I haven't deadlifted other than SLDL's it's not too shabby :cool:

A shot mid 10's I think:
https://img.skitch.com/20110318-m9u4414ygrmc3p1kfimbwnrq4y.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cardio yesterday was 40 minutes on the x-trainer roughly.
Today was another 45/50 minute incline walk. I'll drop the speed down a bit as it's a little bit to heavy on the heart rate to be sustainable at my current pace and dietary intake.

My feet could also do with a rest as my vibrams are quite punishing for my feet so quite fancy a row tomorrow after I have another 1RM attempt at bench and possibly squat on Saturday.

Did some light RC work today, the strain from Sunday is almost all but gone. I'll take care tomorrow not to do any damage.

Will weigh in tomorrow, can't remember what I weighed in this morning but composition seems to be changing slightly already.

Edit: I much prefer to do my CV in the morning when I can indulge in food (with a big feed to break the fast) straight after. Doing it late afternoon (having not eaten since 12) and having eggs immediatley after followed by dinner 45 minutes or so later I've found quite tough as I literally just want to eat everything in sight.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Posted two new PB's in the powerlifting thread.

Bench: 135KG (+ 5Kg this cycle, +10KG over both cycles)
Squat: 175KG

I've been leaning farrrrr to forward during my squats it would seem as I filmed myself squatting after. So will be addressing my form and hopefully hit 180KG.

Also trained 'free style' for the first time since November! Deadlifts, Pullups, B.O.R's, Hamstring Curl, DB windmills, Lateral Raises, some planks and then a incline walk to finish off. Nothing too taxing.

DL'd up to 170KG for 2 singles. Happy with that considering I haven't deadlifted since November. Should shoot back up rather rapidly.

Man of Honour
Post the video! I wanna perve ;)

Are you going for another HST cycle after a deload or are you going to try something else (sorry if I missed that)?

Back
Top Bottom