BennyC's Intermittent Fasting & HST Journal

Soldato
OP
Post the video! I wanna perve ;)

Are you going for another HST cycle after a deload or are you going to try something else (sorry if I missed that)?

When I've corrected my form I'll post a video showing how I was squatting. Don't want to encourage myself to continue to lean forward.

My deload has finished so for a few weeks whilst I cut & train fasted I'm just going 'freestyle' on a push/pull split and do all the exercises I've been missing etc.

Then I'll be back on HST as it's been so successful for me anything else just seems inferior :)

Weight this morning was 87.6KG. I trained fasted this yesterday and something about training fasted just seems to eat through bodyfat.

Soldato
OP
Weight this morning was 87.8KG which isn't suprising considering I ate a 12 oz steak, 5 burgers and a heap of mixed vegetables on Sunday at a BBQ :D

Trained my pull split on Saturday which consisted of:

Deadlifts
Pull ups
B.O.R's
Lateral Raises
Hamstring Curls
EZ bar curl

along with an incline walk to finish.

Push split consisted of:

Leg Press (fancied a change from squatting)
Seated no BR DB shoulder press
Bench
Incline DB Press
Flyes (for ***** and giggles)
Leg Extensions
Lying EZ skull crushers
Planks & DB windmills.

Worked up to 180KG deadlift for two singles yesterday. Strapped. Grip gave out on second rep of 160KG which was frustrating but not the end of the world. Strength on the DL is coming back quite rapidly.

Very much enjoying having a bit of freedom with my training. Will be switching to the x-trainer from incline walk as it's gotten a bit boring and 20 minutes at the end of a workout seems to take forever and only burning around 200cals. So will hop on the xtrainer to get the calories burned and food in me.

HIIT on the rower is enjoyable as always.

Off from the 22nd for some fasted training. For now I can only manage fasted training at weekends whether it be cardio or weight will depend on which day my rolling split lands on.

Associate
Still some fantastic gains going on there, even though you were clearly a piggy on Sunday.

I've been doing IF for a few weeks now and I am enjoying it a hell of a lot, its so laid back compared to 6 -9 meals a day. Love the fact I can pig out with the gf a bit at dinner and not worry about going over my calorie targets. Gotta keep ontop of doing cardio AM when fasted, instead of crawling into bed at 5 am after doing work and revision, meaning I'm not awake till 12 - 2 pm :(

Soldato
I've really been enjoying HST and I think I've had some good gains. I'm going to cut at the end of May and try combining carb cycling and IF, so I dont think I'll be able to handle HST for period, especially with fasted training, so I'll miss it!

Soldato
Time to jump on this bandwagon! Been doing IF for around a year now, but haven't done the training while fasted part. Now, due to new working hours, I can give this a try in the morning (got my BCAA today). Could do with eating through all this body fat!

Soldato
OP
It seems I have had a change of heart and wish to start my next cycle of, HST3, sooner than I thought.

I've enjoyed 'free training' but it does feel a little 'pointless' in that nothing set in stone and progression is harder to gauge.

My squat form is now corrected and feels 100%. I don't really have time to spend a week working out my RM's as I have this whole next week off work along with Monday (obviously), Thursday (Birthday :)) and Friday the following week. So I will only miss one session of the 15's fasted which would be the 5th workout. I will still complete all 6 workouts just the 5th one won't be fasted.

I'm certain combined maintenance low carb calorie intake, fasted training and fasted HIIT/Tabata on off days will yield some quick progress.

I'll be using the same loads from my last cycle to get back in to the swing of things and will no doubt find I increase them during the cycle.

Update photos here:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=18941551&postcount=4609

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Off day today, no training, was considering some Tabata this morning but rolling over on to a pillow was more appealing.

86KG this morning. Despite having a shake with SS milk, having biscuits and cheese and two slices of pizza in the evening with a poker game. Goes to show how effective HIIT is as I was half a kilo heavier yesterday morning.

Soldato
OP
First session of 15's forever and always punishing! A little bit over generous with the weights I feel. Will re-adjust them for next session.

Soldato
OP
Made some progress so far with the fasted training & cardio. I plan to continue cardio, mostly not fasted for the rest of cycle 3.

20110504-p37gs217cdyr36etih3huiept6.jpg

A little pumped here. Vascularity is high at the moment, more so up the bicep but can't really be seen here. Shoulders coming on nicely, pose not brilliant!

20110504-rgmhux74wc82f7tps1f5bytusq.jpg

Poor quality last snap unfortunately.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure what I did for the two weeks previous to starting HST-3 but I have been eating very low carbs and getting cardio in where possible along with training fasted for both resistance & CV.

I'm not sure if I'm in a deficit as I haven't calorie counted at all during starting this journal but I have a good idea/estimation as my diet hasn't changed much.

Soldato
How are you getting on?

I found the first cycle the hardest as I really wasn't conditioned for it. The second was much easier and went much quicker.
I've been away for a while.

I had a week away down south, one of my best friends was getting married so I was pretty much eating out for 7 days. To make up for the gap, I trained consecutive days before I left (not a good idea, I know, but I did it).

On the last session of the 5's I don't know what happened but I was really off. I had my first ever squatting related graze. It was strange. I was on 150KG. I did 1 rep, came for the next and a "oh crap" went through my head. I just let go and I went straight down. Grazed both of my knees severely but I only noticed the following day. It was really strange, I've never felt so weak and I can do 150KG comfortably.

Here's how I look after the first cycle:

imag0553311059834406093.jpg

I'm going to rest for rest of the week. I think I might go for a second cycle. I've just been cleaning all last week.

You're looking much more stronger btw, keep it up!

Associate
Hey guys, how how dilligent are you at counting the calories? If you have a snack of buttered toast with PB for example, will you get the mass of peanut and dairy butter you put on as well, or just say, a couple of buttered toast, x calories?

I've started this IF regime at the beginning of the week, and am pretty new to actually counting how much I eat :(. Also, I've been getting pretty bad hunger pangs in the morning but I don't think I've been eating enough (my eating time is 1300-1900) :(.

Soldato
I usually only eat large portions so it's a bit easier to work stuff out. In general though I'm not very strict. If I have a PB sandwich I use about 100g of PB so it's easy to see how many calories that is on the back of the jar (~500-600cal), then obviously 2 slices of bread (~100cal each). Don't bother counting butter etc.

You'll soon adjust to your new eating times, don't worry! Bear in mind that most IFers feast for 8 hours rather than 6, though the shorter the better.

Back
Top Bottom