Benq FP241W (Now available from OcUK!!!!!)

Associate
Looks like this may be the one. Has HDMI, DVI, Component, PIP. They quote it as being PS3 comapatible @ 1080p on the HDMI input.

Confused about the specs however. On the Product page http://www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=812&page=specifications

Quoted Brightness is 300 and contrast 800:1 all others based on this Samsung Panel quote 500 and 1000:1 i.e. Samsung 245T.

Baddass do you think that they are deliberately under-specifying?

Associate
OP
After reading your Post its starting to make sense to me, thanks for clarifying this Baddass.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php report the Panel as being LTM240M2 as well.

However, this is a Worldwide launch and they are marketing it on being "first HDMI dispaly" my concern is that they may use a mix of Panels to fulfil demand . As long as they stick to S-PVA or P-MVA Panels it would be fine with me, but they switched to TN on the 20" viewing angles would be a big issue on a 24".

I suppose they will end up offering two versions standard and BFI. BFI seems like a good idea but do think it would inroduce Latency?

I am I right in assuming this will enable playing of 1080p HD Content at 60fps via HDMI. Its not 1:1 as with the latest 1080p HD TVs from Sony and Samsung. So the image would need to be stretched?

Associate
OP
Baddass said:
from early reports BFI looked very promising at CEBIT 2006. Did you read the bit about it on the link before? It looked to be a good technology for improving percieved responsiveness.

I read a little bit about BFI and got a vague idea of what its about. Ive since been doing a lot more reading today and its complex stuff. If I understand it correctly its to do with improving the the way an image is presented to your eyes retina in order that your brain can reproduce it better. The terminology they use is Spatial/Temporal Integration. Found the best explanation here: http://www.cog.brown.edu/~max/3Dspl/research/integration.html

I have to admit this stuff is too much for a moral like me its more for boffins doing R&D in Universitys.

Seems that a lot of Display manufactures are going to be using BFI. Benq reckon by inserting a Black frame in-between every 2 Data frames does the trick. Your eyes are presented with much better images with controlled luminosity from the screen thus reducing afterglow. The BeHardware guy has seen it in action at Cebit and was impressed so the technology seems to work.

Well if they price around £800 mark I might take the plunge and buy it. Has state of the art tech, all inputs and a good Panel. Release is supposed to be end of June.

Associate
OP
p0rks0da said:
Hmm i guess this monitor is lacking HDCP? They advertise the HDMI connection but make no mention of HDCP on the page :(

It will be HDCP compliant all newly the latest release large Widescreens are cause allegedly its a VISTA/Bluray/HD-DVD requirement.

Link form Daily tech confirms it: http://dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2746

Dailytech quote:
'The HDMI input is fully HDCP compatible and will accept signals up to a full 1080p (1920x1080) resolution.'

In any case Movie Studios are going to have a 3 year grace period so its not going to be an issue for long time. However its not going to stop manufacturers from using a marketing ploy along the lines of 'you need to upgrade to our screen cause its Vista compatible'.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
salami1212 said:
any idea on a price and will it be more expensive than the dell?
According to http://www.prad.de/en/news/shownews506.html

End June @1200euros which is around £825.

But then again we live in rip-off Britain so .....

Having said that they do however need to remain competitive with your Dells and Samsungs. I personally wont be buying if its going to be more than £850.

Associate
OP
queamin said:
Was thinking of getting a lcd tv but might get this instead as i am watching tv from my pc at moment
Q
This is what appeals to me so much about this configuration as well. You'd have six inputs available D-Sub/DVI-D/S-Video/Composite/ component /HDMI

So you could hook-up a Console via HDMI, PC via DVI, Freeviewbox or DVD via Component, Camera via Composite still have S-Video and D-Sub available!

Just hoping they price it right it may turn out to be a bargain when you compare it against cost of 1080p HDTVs.

Associate
OP
Use your forearm and butt it against your 24" monitor
Well I don’t have a 24” Monitor that’s the whole reason for making the comparison with the girl! Nothing derogatory was intended.

That's how wanton desires for "fashion" and anything new starts and never ends.
WTF… I thought this a Technical forum? We are not discussing Gucci handbags for a gf or iMacs for a mate with shedloads of disposable income.

The only judgement that counts for it's the only one that benefits us, is the one which we seldom do [if at all], and that is to judge ourself, & not to judge others or let others judge us.
Well I have to admit I really struggled trying to understand the previous two Paragraphs but I haven’t got a clue what this is all about?

Associate
OP
Vista and HDCP here: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/hdcp-vista.ars

They were going to downscale 720 and 1080 content to 480. This article was dated August 21, 2005

However according to this recent article Studios not going to implement it long time:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2486

A lot of people have invested in HD Displays in their living rooms but large proportions of them don’t have HDMI. My guess is that this gives them time to upgrade.

MS would be v unpopular if they unilaterally implement HD downscaling if consumer HD devices are not going to be enforce it until 2010.

Associate
OP
igors said:
LOL ... no worries Baddass. Off topic fun and confusion can strike anytime, however I was just keen to give the poor guy a chance to defend himself until his thoughts are buried for good.
Well the guys deep and Im always open to a bit of enlightenment. Cir108 you will have to start a new thread under General Discussion.

Associate
OP
Looks like the BFI version will be @ 120 Hz. This makes sense cause it would compensate for the additional Black Frames. I wouldnt be surprised if different spec panels used on the two models.

From THG: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/03/14/nec_benq_smart_displays/
(from THG) 'The FP241 runs at 120 frames per second, which is achieved by inserting a "virtual" black frame between two real frames. Enabled by backlighting cells that can be synchronized with the screen refresh rate, the technology "cleans" the pixel fade-out during pixel color transition. It's impossible judge such displays and their benefit during a trade show, but the solution seems promising at first glance.'
Samsung and LG are also working on 120Hz tech: http://www.behardware.com/news/8049/cebit-monitors-and-tv-at-120-fps.html

Associate
OP
Dear Sir,

The FP241W uses a VA panel
BenQ Support

Good response from them when unsure be ambiguous :D

with 16,7 million colors , 12ms ( 8ms GTG ) .
This ones interesting as well cause their Site states 16ms( 6ms GTG). 12ms On/Off is a better spec when switching full black frames.

Also the ratio of data frames cant be right they are saying 2 of 3 will be Data that would be 80fps @ 120Hz. Max 1080p spec is 60 fps. I think they quote that figure cause they can show it as a pretty picture on their marketing literature and makes it easier for the consumer to understand.

AU-Optronics have done a lot of R&D on BFI so Ive got a hunch that may be using AU Panel in the BFI and Samsung for the standard one.

Associate
OP
Cir108 said:
"kumar101 - Cir108 you will have to start a new thread under General Discussion."

If things are what we merely see/envisage, we won't need that many senses. Start a new thread on any topic under the sun and the words "separate realities" might enlighten.

When there is no speech, there can be no thoughts nor language. Then we perceive in shades of black and white. BPI perhaps.

OK Done Cir108:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=7272741#post7272741

Have started a thread entitled Mahatma Gandhi quotes ("separate realities") in Speakers Corner.

Associate
OP
Humate said:
i warn you now, crystal meth is gonna be a class A drug
Youre right Humate new thread I started in GD Forum is doing my head in. Surprise, surpise Cir108 has gone to ground.

Think I'll stick to my original mission of finding WIdescreen Pancea and stay clear of Politics, Religion and Philosophy.

Coming back to the Benq I think we should give Baddass some time its hard get info like this out of companies. Until he touches base with some techine from Benq we wont know what Panel its going to be.

Associate
OP
From what ive been reading around the Net theres at least another months wait before the Benq shows up.

The new Dells too dodgy to touch at the moment. Too much money to spend to have any regrets later on. Im going to wait for Benq and but am also very interested in the Samsung 245T.

Unfortunately the 245T might be an even longer wait than the Benq :(

Pic 245T: http://www.computerbase.de/bild/news/13375/8/

Associate
OP
Kendo Nagasaki said:
Just got a reply to an email i sent last week:

E-mail sent to Benq:

I have been eargerly awaiting the release of the new 24" FP241W.

Have you any information about when the BenQ FP241W 24" widescreen monitor will be available to purchase within the UK and at what cost.

It is rumoured to be the 15th August 2006, is this correct?

Many thanks

E-mail reply from Benq:

Thank you for your email.

Both the FP241WZ and FP241W has their official Press Launch last Friday.

The FP241W will launch to retail in the UK approximately mid August, initial supply will be readily available through the large e-tail sites, such as xxxxx

Approximate price (SRP inc VAT)
FP241W (without BFI) @ £569.99
FP241WZ (with BFI) @ £609.99

BFI is our anti-hold technology which gives a CRT like display.

I've attached a spec sheet for more information.

Regards
BenQ UK

If those prices are accurate, these screens will be hugely competitive

Thanks for finding this out - agree with you the Prices look v good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom