Benq FP241W (Now available from OcUK!!!!!)

Associate
Ill have to get that girl to stand next to my monitor then lol.

Looks very very nice, seriously thinking of ditching mine for this one.

I wonder if we get free Benq skin transfers with this monitor like the girl has?

Permabanned
"Either this Screen’s huge or the girl in the Pic is tiny."

Use your forearm and butt it against your 24" monitor, as the "Tiny" girl did, and you'll "discover" that it's all prejudices/likes/dislikes that we are comparing. That's how wanton desires for "fashion" and anything new starts and never ends.

The only judgement that counts for it's the only one that benefits us, is the one which we seldom do [if at all], and that is to judge ourself, & not to judge others or let others judge us.

Associate
Cir108 said:
"Either this Screen’s huge or the girl in the Pic is tiny."

Use your forearm and butt it against your 24" monitor, as the "Tiny" girl did, and you'll "discover" that it's all prejudices/likes/dislikes that we are comparing. That's how wanton desires for "fashion" and anything new starts and never ends.

The only judgement that counts for it's the only one that benefits us, is the one which we seldom do [if at all], and that is to judge ourself, & not to judge others or let others judge us.

what the hell are you on about?

Last edited:
Associate
igors said:
It's not just screen. You will have to upgrade your microwave, your dishwasher, your boiler and at the end even maybe your house, just to be Vista "compatbile" :rolleyes: Dear God. It's no news that M$ will participate in such marketing ploy ... but who else will join the party, time will tell.
It's nothing to do with being "vista compatible".

Vista runs just fine with any screen. If you want to view the HD content the movie companies are going to protect with HDCP then you will have to use HDCP compatible equipment. Vista is just one bit of that. If anything it's Vista having to be compatible with and have the appropriate codecs/device drivers for HDCP devices and content.

If Vista didn't support HDCP for the protected content it wouldn't be able to display the protected content in HD at all (i believe you still get a SD picture but i could be wrong). Makes no difference to MS one way or the other as they don't profit from the hardware sales of monitors of the content from the likes of Sony etc.

At least that's the way it's been explained to me,

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Use your forearm and butt it against your 24" monitor
Well I don’t have a 24” Monitor that’s the whole reason for making the comparison with the girl! Nothing derogatory was intended.

That's how wanton desires for "fashion" and anything new starts and never ends.
WTF… I thought this a Technical forum? We are not discussing Gucci handbags for a gf or iMacs for a mate with shedloads of disposable income.

Well I have to admit I really struggled trying to understand the previous two Paragraphs but I haven’t got a clue what this is all about?

Associate
kumar101 said:
Well I have to admit I really struggled trying to understand the previous two Paragraphs but I haven’t got a clue what this is all about?
No worries. You are not alone :confused:

We can draw the line and conclude that it's not fair to judge others until you find the relevance of your being and honestly judge yourself (and that is something which we rarely do anyway) blah blah blah . Anywaaaay, why such progressive "thinking" now, here and in this very thread ... it's mystery for me. Some parts are even c/p look alike and that paragraph about the "fashion" it's just nuts and why he put the "Tiny" under the quotation marks :confused:

So, Cir108, if you are still around please translate your post to us. Who knows, maybe at the end we will learn something new from you.

Last edited:
Associate
tmileson said:
It's nothing to do with being "vista compatible".
Oh yes, I know :) and your thinking in the post was correct. Maybe my wording was confusing as I was objecting the "way" how marketing ploy is developing so that "vista compatible" hype was born. We are, let's say, more educated about such matters and what means what. However, many and really many of the not-so-educated consumers around will catch on that hype, believing that they are doing the right thing so that pretty Vista can run properly.

Why they don't say what is all about and not deliberately use that stupid "vista compatible" phrase.

Associate
Baddass said:
let's get this back on track shall we?! Talk about the monitor please... :)
LOL ... no worries Baddass. Off topic fun and confusion can strike anytime, however I was just keen to give the poor guy a chance to defend himself until his thoughts are buried for good.

Associate
OP
Vista and HDCP here: http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/hdcp-vista.ars

They were going to downscale 720 and 1080 content to 480. This article was dated August 21, 2005

However according to this recent article Studios not going to implement it long time:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2486

A lot of people have invested in HD Displays in their living rooms but large proportions of them don’t have HDMI. My guess is that this gives them time to upgrade.

MS would be v unpopular if they unilaterally implement HD downscaling if consumer HD devices are not going to be enforce it until 2010.

Associate
Here is the interesting one. Do you think that BFI (black frame insertion) can improve the perceptive level of ghosting/afterglow THAT much ? Is the ghosting/afterglow really distracting you from the gaming immersion, if we consider the latest & fastest (currently available) LCD panels? Do you need improvements on this field ? What about the panel uniformity, backlight, colours, contrast and LCD picture "depth" ? What is more important to you ?

It's shame that on CEBIT, they compared FP241W BFI with the FP231W (which is rather slowish S-IPS panel and afterglow/ghosting friendly), probably just for the exhibition purpose so that difference is much more pronounced ... so improvements may be exaggerated to some extent. Anyhow, it would be interesting to see how does BFI compete with the fastest panels around.

Associate
OP
igors said:
LOL ... no worries Baddass. Off topic fun and confusion can strike anytime, however I was just keen to give the poor guy a chance to defend himself until his thoughts are buried for good.
Well the guys deep and Im always open to a bit of enlightenment. Cir108 you will have to start a new thread under General Discussion.

Man of Honour
igors said:
It's shame that on CEBIT, they compared FP241W BFI with the FP231W (which is rather slowish S-IPS panel and afterglow/ghosting friendly), probably just for the exhibition purpose so that difference is much more pronounced ... so improvements may be exaggerated to some extent. Anyhow, it would be interesting to see how does BFI compete with the fastest panels around.

i would have liked to have seen the FP241W vs FP241W +BFI, that would have been interesting. Reports were promising about BFI from CEBIT, but until we see some main stream monitors with this technology, we won't really know whether it helps in real practicee

Associate
OP
Looks like the BFI version will be @ 120 Hz. This makes sense cause it would compensate for the additional Black Frames. I wouldnt be surprised if different spec panels used on the two models.

From THG: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2006/03/14/nec_benq_smart_displays/
(from THG) 'The FP241 runs at 120 frames per second, which is achieved by inserting a "virtual" black frame between two real frames. Enabled by backlighting cells that can be synchronized with the screen refresh rate, the technology "cleans" the pixel fade-out during pixel color transition. It's impossible judge such displays and their benefit during a trade show, but the solution seems promising at first glance.'
Samsung and LG are also working on 120Hz tech: http://www.behardware.com/news/8049/cebit-monitors-and-tv-at-120-fps.html

Man of Honour
i had a great response from BenQ while quizing them about the panel being used in the FP241W:

Dear Sir,

We don't provide information on panels and or or vendors we use , this is classified.

BenQ Support

good one :rolleyes:

Don't wory, i'm persisting ;)

Man of Honour
ok a better update now:

Dear Sir,

The FP241W uses a VA panel with 16,7 million colors , 12ms ( 8ms GTG ) .

BenQ Support

we are still unsure now whether this is PVA or MVA, that is the key really :)

Associate
OP
Dear Sir,

The FP241W uses a VA panel
BenQ Support

Good response from them when unsure be ambiguous :D

with 16,7 million colors , 12ms ( 8ms GTG ) .
This ones interesting as well cause their Site states 16ms( 6ms GTG). 12ms On/Off is a better spec when switching full black frames.

Also the ratio of data frames cant be right they are saying 2 of 3 will be Data that would be 80fps @ 120Hz. Max 1080p spec is 60 fps. I think they quote that figure cause they can show it as a pretty picture on their marketing literature and makes it easier for the consumer to understand.

AU-Optronics have done a lot of R&D on BFI so Ive got a hunch that may be using AU Panel in the BFI and Samsung for the standard one.

Back
Top Bottom