BenQ G2420HDBL (LED Backlit) or BenQ G2420HD

Associate
Hello

I would like to ask you who have benq g2420 HDB model if the dot pitch (pixel pitch) is 0.276 or 0.2715 (0.272), because half the information on the Internet says it's 0.276 the other half 0.2715

also the Benq global site says it's 0.276 and the Benq European site says 0.2715 so I'm confused

I would be glad If someone could answer me this question.

Thanks in advance

Benq officials already answered my question that it's 0.276.

Last edited:
Associate
I personally have the G3420HDBL and all i can say is wow, you'll defiantly notice the difference in photoshop and other programs like that and also when playing games. I had my old LCD beside it and the LCD was so dull, even with the contrast and brightness turned up.

You'll not be disappointed in the 'HDBL' version. Mine cost me £180, including £10 P&P.

Associate
I find srgb with brightness & contrast at 50 to be best for browsing/general use.
The other settings (other than normal) affect the colour range dramatically.
Open up http://www.colorpicker.com/ and toggle between the settings to see what I mean - in the non standard modes, the top right of the colour palette gets restricted to the same colour!

Soldato
ive took some pictures now but i cant find the lead for my camera :mad: i've seen pictures of 2 of them side by side never thought they would be that big but just 2 of them are a fair bit wider than my 50 inchLG cant wait to get a third lol just havin the second i know when all 3 are in line i wont even be able to see the edge off the of the outside monitors in my FOV

veiw just a quick question for any one who owns eyeinfinty/surround have far do you sit from the monitors at 3x24inch as i sit about 60-70cm away and for the 1st time in my life iam thinking it might be a bit over kill ? and this is coming from a man who thinks his 50 inch tv is small and wishes he could get a 60 inch and i only sit about 1.5-2 meters from it lol

Soldato
is there any diffrence between these two monitors in size the none led and led version as i might get a none led version as i've found one for a good price but i dont want it to look odd next to the led one's ?

Associate
Another very happy BenQ owner.

The real estate versus price point makes it an attractive option. What made me a believer is that the stand is really a lot better than most of the real competitors in the same bracket. Having a stand that feels very solid and tilts really makes a difference in my mind. For a monitor novice, seeing real difference between the various models that hover around the £150 mark is not easy and makes you think that one is as good as the other. Having a good stand is something that you will appreciate for a long time if you need a monitor that will be used at several different viewing angles and that will be moved around quite a bit.

Associate
review!

Hi all, first post and sorry it has to be a slightly negative one!
I got the non-LED version deilvered 2 days ago, and Ive sent it back today :(
heres a simple review and reasons why I returned!

First off:
Like many of you I was trawling through the net for reviews on monitors upto £170 budget and thought 24” would be nice! as ive just had to make way for nursery so had to move PC into bedroom and thought it was good excuse to bin the 24” crt tv in that room and convince my wife that a nice 24” lcd with a tv tuner would be awesome!. I don’t do a lot of reviews and I`m not super technie or uptodate anymore, not since having 2 kids in last 5 yrs. So my review wont be super techinvally accurate, its just my opinions etc. This is only my second LCD as my Acer 19” has served my very well for many a years worth of Call of Duty 2, 4, and World at war and lots of movies/TV etc.

First Impressions:
Big box! Was getting excited. Not the most high quality packaging as I unpacked but hey its just a box I guess. Had been opend and resealed by Benq
As they swap over the power leads for a uk one, so dont worry about that.
First impression once out of box was that it does look great and holy shizzney its big!! Nice!1, I got a little concerned however at how light it was, much lighter than my 19” acer!! Anyways, comes with VGA lead already plugged in, the stand and usual cd and instructions.
Unit clips into stand very easily and feels very sturdy once in. again once sat there it looks a lovely monitor indeed

Switching on and using:
Plugged in, hooked up to PC with DVI lead (not supplied) switched on
Greeted by purple boot screen with Benq logo in white, not to impressed with colour over screen and nearly burnt my retinas out with the default settings!
Flicks to my desktop (Win 7). Looked ok to start , colours where quite vibrant and clear. I then set about with settings and calibration.
After some hours I got it looking kind of how I wanted it, but just couldn’t get a good mix without colours looking slightly washed out.
I thought id try a bit of Cod4 and watch a HD tv rip and see how it went…..
Again the washed out colours showed in CoD 4, had to put brightness right down in game, but looked good playing at that res on this screen, not noticable ghosting
At all and once brightness down it was all good.
Then I went to watch a movie and HD tv ripp!. This is when I first noticed the backlight bleed across the top of the screen, brightest in middle then fading out toward
Each side. Now I know this is par for course with TN lcd panels and it happens, even my Acer has it very very slightly, but on my Acer a little adjustment with settings
Almost makes it disappear.

Not so here, not for me. Watching any movie or video on fullscreen you get distracted by the washed out light bleed band across the top!, damn!
Spent another few hours reading up and doing anything to minimize the bleed.
Other this is that the usual DVD, tv and video files just don’t look good on this screen at that resolution! Everything looked grainy and slighty pixelated (going back to my Acer later the same videos looked great.) maybe this is just one of down sides to a very large screen? Which doesn’t make sense as I watch same videos on my 37” plasma and they look stunning when stretched to fit fullscreen.
On closer look at the actual unit I started to notice just how..well `cheap` it was built. Its very light as mentioned. Althought it appears to look nice its actually very no frills. The plastic bevel on front it flimsy and you can easily see the silver surround of the LCD panel and the bezel moves a lot with the slightest touch. I checked my Acer and cheapy Lenovo lcd at work and both screen have very solid build and you cant even pull the bevel away at all, also both these older monitors have little, to absolutely no backlight bleed! So it is possible and indeed the Acer and Lenovo really show up just how cheaply built the BenQ appears. Half tempted to look for a Lenovo gaming lcd!! Don’t think they exist.

Anyways….it was decision time. I know this is only £150 for a 24” and I know BLB happens, Im not super fussy but I cant put up with the bleed and bad colours when watching HD movies that should really look nothing short of stunning! Right?. There’s no guarantee a more expensive monitor will not have BLB either!. I know this goes against the general reviews and maybe the LED version doesn’t have these issues?

I guess its just a matter of luck and picking a better made unit from different manufacturer?. Maybe I just got the one in a thousand unit that was put together a bit crap!, but a simple google shows plenty of people with same monitor with much worse Backlight bleed, mine was JUST at the top, some ive seen have it on all sides, rest of my panel was fine and it’s a shame as I would have played around more to get colours better and kept the monitor otherwise.
I sent the unit back under DSR and I’m back to looking again… nightmare! Hope this is useful in some way and would appreciate feedback, especially from anyone people
Bought a model that had minimal to no backlight bleed? Do LED backlights have less bleeding?!

just as a note: I also bought a Winpauge USB TV stick, which is pretty awesome, easy to setup and works great through WMC

Soldato
I am sorry you are disappointed with the monitor. The backlight bleedthrough issue affects every single LCD panel out there, but to varying degrees. The use of an LED backlight does not reduce the bleedthrough I'm afraid, and the low tolerances that 'cheaper' panels are made to often means that it's pretty hit and miss in this regard. In an attempt to make the panels 'super thin' this often makes the problem worse - so in a way the drive for LED backlighting could potentially worsen things.

I have reviewed one of BenQ's (very budget) LED-backlit panels from their new series - the V920. I agree with your sentiments about build quality. Having reviewed panels from a number of manufacturers, including some relatively inexpensive Samsung monitors, it is clear that the build-quality was not up to par. I also noticed that the colours appeared muted and that the manufacturer 'brightness' and 'contrast' settings could be driven up to levels that left the panel completely unusable. Washed out would be an understatement and the best you could hope for was to sacrifice a fair bit of brightness to get something that is a little muted but at least not bleached. I actually had to set the monitor to 10% brightness to achieve a good black level and all but eliminate that purple glow that you are probably experiencing.

I also noticed pretty severe dithering at times (which is caused by the panel showing alternating shades either side of a desired colour to try to produce something in the middle). The resolution of the G2420HD exceeds the resolution of a DVD signficantly, so this in itself is a major factor - however; the dithering simply exacerbates this problem. I also think BenQ's presets - particular the movie one, are best avoided like the plague. If you are using them then don't!

Associate
it is a shame, if your lucky enough to get one that has minimal BLB, then at the price everything else can sort of be forgiven I guess!. Im on my works Lenovo at the moment, ive put solid black on screen and put brightness and contrast to 100%! no BLB wots so ever!! at least not noticable to the human eye!. I then just checked about 6 other indentical screens in the office, all with no BLB! quite impressive! you can still buy these monitors (19" widescreen) for about £130! they arent HD but cant fault the build quality and lack of any BLb!! lol! Lenovo do a larger screen but its a bit over my budget!. What i have just noticed about the Lenovo is that there is a very fine black bordering to the screen which appears to be part of the inside build on the actuall LCD panel, i think this is what is eliminating the BLB?!.

anyways, Im still on the hunt, any ideas would be awesome. going to spend my refund on a Gigabyte gtx460 instead! :)

peace
Dan

Associate
lol, I have a 27" Cinema display parked right behind me. It's just in a different class (and different price bracket too) to this and cannot be used as a reference. Damn good to use as a benchmark for settings though.

This is a page I check into and I cannot see any bleed. Contrast is excellent.

One thing that is deffo way off out the box with this though is gamma, too much red and brightness is too high standard settings, way too high. Adjustable though so no biggy ... my Dad must have set these up for them in the factory :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom