BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
:(

Well after getting it delivered on Friday and having to go to a music festival over the weekend. I get to unbox and try it out today only to find that I cannot get any picture on it with the dvi cable at all.

Switched on monitor and booted PC....power switch goes from orange to white but no picture....I can hear windows has booted through the headphones and no picture with supplied DVI cable. Tried on my sons PC too, but same effect. Tried to get OSD menu up but that not coming on either. Tried other Cables to no effect.

Is there something I am not doing or does this sound like an RMA....I hope not as the monitor itself is something to behold.

Feeling deflated. :rolleyes:

If I need to RMA it do they RMA to another address as I am going camping tomorrow with the family for a few weeks and would like to get it RMA'd while I am away.

Hmm, sorry to hear that, always very frustrating when a new toy doesn't work. I did have something similar when I got mine back from the firmware upgrade but with that it just wouldn't display anything over the Displayport connection and once I used hdmi it seemed to wake it up and then it worked fine. However as you've already tried other cables it's probably not that.
Do you get any message on the screen saying 'no cable/signal detected' or anything like that?

If you do have to RMA it then I've found BenQ to be very good at it. You can get it picked up and dropped off at another address, I got mine done from my parents house as I work office hours. When mine broke I filled out an online RMA request (Link) on a Thursday night, they confirmed my RMA on Friday morning and at 8.30am Monday morning they delivered a new monitor to my parents house and collected my existing one no questions asked.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted one way or another.

Associate
:(

Well after getting it delivered on Friday and having to go to a music festival over the weekend. I get to unbox and try it out today only to find that I cannot get any picture on it with the dvi cable at all.

Switched on monitor and booted PC....power switch goes from orange to white but no picture....I can hear windows has booted through the headphones and no picture with supplied DVI cable. Tried on my sons PC too, but same effect. Tried to get OSD menu up but that not coming on either. Tried other Cables to no effect.

Is there something I am not doing or does this sound like an RMA....I hope not as the monitor itself is something to behold.

Feeling deflated. :rolleyes:

If I need to RMA it do they RMA to another address as I am going camping tomorrow with the family for a few weeks and would like to get it RMA'd while I am away.

I had that use the dp cable in the box should work fine...

Associate
Unfortunately my 280x card has only got mini-dp connections not full size ones so I cant try the DP cable at the moment. There is no "No Signal Detected" type message and I have got onto BenQ and they asked me if the BenQ logo comes up when the monitor switches on and the answer to that is no...so I think it probably needs to be RMA'd.

Bit gutted, but hopefully they will be able to get it RMA'd for me while I am on holiday. I already love the monitor without even seeing the picture as it looks stunning. I have only had a 22" monitor before and this baby dwarfs it. I cant wait to get a good one and a Fury card.

As the Guiness advert says "Good Things Come To Those That Wait" and I am sure it will.

:D

Associate
It's amazing how much hard work it can be to buy a monitor these days. I appreciate the new tech brings new choices, but the headaches and talk of RMAs really takes the shine off for me.

Caporegime
Im just using these settings :-

Standard Picture Mode.
Blur Reduction - Off
Black Equalizer - 5
Colour Vibrance - 10
Low Blue Light - 0
Instant Mode - On
Auto Game Mode - Off
Brightness - 80
Contrast - 75
Sharpness - 8
Gamma - 5
Colour Temperature - Normal
AMA - High
Dynamic Contrast - Off

Last edited:
Associate
Hi there Qitarah, I have been playing CS:GO using this monitor exclusively I got started silver in 4 and managed to get as high as LEM in the competitve rankings!! played 1.6 breifly and CS:S in the past!

I'd say its a good screen... I use FreeSync enabled but it constantly hits over 144 frames so I'm not sure it makes any difference... feels fine!! very good!! I RATE IT HIGHLY.

Associate
I play using 2560x1440 I'm certain its not the ideal resolution for Counter-Strike feels like the players bodys are much smaller on-screen.

I go into the AMD catalyst control centre and select "Gaming" tab and add csgo.exe to the "application settings" part

Always change the texture filtering quality to performance and in-game I select bilinear filtering ... In my mind it draws the frames quicker but its highly likely and most possibly not making any difference at all.. I also disable CrossFireX and Frame Pacing for the .exe

I use FreeSync with CS:GO I dont notice any difference with it On or Off.

Using these launch options within steam:

+cl_interp 0 +cl_interp_ratio 1 -tickrate 128 fps_max 999 -novid -freq 144 -high -refresh 144 -processheap -nod39dex -nomicsettings +mat_queue_mode 2

Permabanned
Can get one of these for £410 off the rain forest, so am tempted ... the FreeSync, what FPS range does it work in?

Also, I CBA to read all 48 pages. It worth the money you paid for it?

Associate
I've been doing quite a bit of research on monitors lately and this seems like the one for me...except for one thing. Can someone clarify if Freesync is actually an AMD-only technology like Gsync is for Nvidia? I currently have an AMD 7970 which I'm desperate to upgrade and I'm looking to join the green team this time around (although I've been exclusively Nvidia since the 4000 series GPUs) due to the better performance/watt on offer. However, I'm pretty sure from what I've read that Freesync does not work with Nvidia GPUs despite the fact that it was marketed as an open standard. And if that is true then I guess this monitor would require me to either crossfire my AMD 7970 with another used one off of eBay or consider a power hungry 290x or Fury model card?

Associate
in response to cib24

IF power consumption is the key buying point I'd opt for a Fury HBM card and not the Fury X surely it has to be less power consuming!!? cib24, it cant be that much more demanding than a 7970 @ 1150 core and 1850 memory .. I remember I ran a 775W PSU for 7970 CrossFireX a few years ago and that was meant to be around the minimum recommended .. ??! considering all HDD's and many many fans etc

At the moment It is indeed AMD-only tech but I've been reading here and there online that nvidia may be forced to move over ...??? it could be nonsense though... maybe wait awhile! see what happens

surely a power hungry 290x factory OC card should provide around 60-80% the performance of 7970 CFX without any of the "assosciated hassle" people manage to encounter ...

I'd say 290X fast card perhaps but opt for a Fury to punch closer to 144hz refresh in most of the games on what could be called nice quality settings

Associate
Good point around power consumption. I would imagine even a Fury X wouldn't put my 650W PSU under pressure and I can probably squeak by with an AMD 7970 crossfire configuration at stock clocks. Anyway, the larger point was that the Nvidia cards are quite a bit better at the moment and Pascal is looking like it's going to be legendary. Thus, before stumbling on this monitor I had been heavily considering buying a second 7970 to hold me over until the release of Pascal to game on my crappy Hazro 27" 1440p IPS (and upgrade the monitor later). However, gaming on the monitor just gives me a straight up headache and the backlight bleed is atrocious which I why I started looking at new screens to purchase.

It's a shame that Freesync and Gsync are proprietary to each company. Still, this monitor has a lot going for it and I would imagine even if Nvidia didn't support Freesync in the future gaming on 144hz presents a dramatic difference in any case to a 60hz screen. I'll sleep on the decision and decide if it's worth getting now or waiting a bit longer.

Back
Top Bottom