BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
Guys, I have a problem here.

I just received my monitor. Installed 15.7 drivers(tried 15.5 as well).
Im using 295x2 via mini displayport adapter->displayport cable.

Im experiencing "black screen" problem....
The screen goes black from time to time....cant play nothing, it drives me crazy.

This is with freesync off and on. Im using 144Hz.

ANy help plssss?

I had this same issue, same video card. Turned out to be a bad displayport cable. I bought a new (gold plated) one (i just wanted to make sure i was getting a different brand then what I had) online that delivered in two days and all my problems went away. I almost returned the monitor and my next step was the video card (this was one build I bought all at once with no secondary monitor to test)

Last edited:
Associate
:DFinally home from holidays and BenQ came through with the RMA. WoW what a beautiful monitor this is. Just gotta get my hands on a Fury/Fury X card for the Freesync and it will be perfect.

Just to clarify...I can only run this from a DVI cable at the moment...is 60hz the most I can get through DVI or will it go to 120Hz/144Hz ? I think I can only get 144Hz via DP cable, is this correct?

cheers all

Soldato
:DFinally home from holidays and BenQ came through with the RMA. WoW what a beautiful monitor this is. Just gotta get my hands on a Fury/Fury X card for the Freesync and it will be perfect.

Just to clarify...I can only run this from a DVI cable at the moment...is 60hz the most I can get through DVI or will it go to 120Hz/144Hz ? I think I can only get 144Hz via DP cable, is this correct?

cheers all

HDMI 2.0 will do 144Hz too

Associate

cheers all

DVI will most likely be limited to 100hz at 1440p.
From other feedback, you can get 120hz by patching the driver with the toastyX AMD pixel clock patcher, but this may require making a custom resolution as well. 144hz will be impossible over DVI UNLESS you drop the resolution to 1080p, then it will work with reduced CVT (LCD Reduced).

Associate
cheers guys, info much appreciated.

I have installed the monitor driver into windows 7 and I can now get 1920x1080 @ 120Hz in BF4 and even without freesync it is so much smoother than ever before. Just gotta get that Fury card and probably a decent DP cable going by results from this thread. I have also downloaded my free windows 10....what are everyones thoughts on the upgrade....what experiences have people had with windows 10?

Soldato
What's the actual Freesync operating range on this monitor ? Seen a few different numbers so far.

*EDIT*

Nevermind found it, 40-144Hz.

Also I read something about people having to send their monitors in for a firmware upgrade, What was that all about ?

Last edited:
Associate
Purchased this monitor last week and finally got to play with it over the weekend. Mine had a May manufacturing date which concerned me a bit until I checked the service menu and noted a V002 firmware. Sweet!

Anyway, there are numerous positives from my old Hazro 27" IPS screen. I love the 144hz refresh rate (a lot less blurry than the Hazro) and how customisable the entire screen is. I also like that my monitor has virtually zero backlight bleed at all and no more IPS glow! These two issues were so distracting on the Hazro and got worse over time. In addition, being a true 8-bit panel the colours are just as good as the Hazro and the TN screen is actually not that bad in terms of off-centre viewing (up to a point of course). It's much better than old laptops I had with TN screens where you moved like 1/2" and all contrast and detail was lost. You can move horizontally quite a ways before you notice any colour shift or contrast loss, although vertically you are a bit more limited. However, this isn't an issue when you have such a great monitor stand that can move the screen up, down pivot, etc.

In my haste to enjoy all of the features of this monitor I picked up a 2nd 7970 off of eBay for a shade over £100 but I didn't realise that the 7970s didn't support Freesync! I'm running both cards at stock voltage at 1000MHz core / 1500 MHz memory (consistent with GHz edition cards) and the framerate increase in most games is fantastic. Crossfire scaling is also very good and the only game where it really suffers seems to be in Wolfenstein The New Order (but that entire game on PC is a mess) which doesn't officially support crossfire, and in Crysis 2 (which I don't play anymore anyway) which sees like mid 70's % scaling.

So long as my framerate is above about 70 I don't notice any stuttering and luckily most games stay above that 95% of the time. The only game I have in which I notice the FPS dropping below this is 60Hz limited games like the two mentioned above (although 60Hz limited games don't stutter with 144Hz refresh enabled), and in Tomb Raider during close-up cutscenes of Laura with TressFX enabled.

Anyway, overall I'm pretty happy with this monitor and mostly I'm glad to be rid of backlight leakage and IPS glow as it was really bothersome for me. However, I want to try Freesync but I will just have to wait for GPU prices to come down a bit before upgrading again since I can't justify spending another £500 on a single GPU right now.

Despite this, I do wonder whether or not I should return the screen and wait a bit longer to give me more flexibility in my next GPU upgrade if I decide Nvidia is worth it.

Associate
Ive read your post cib24 and if this helps i have this monitor and also have Nvidia cards (MSI gtx 780 sli ) , now i am also waiting for gpu prices to fall as they always do :)

But to be honest the main reason i haven't got a fury x is that the 4 gb of vram that comes with the card puts me off ,so before i swap over to AMD i am going to wait for there next release of video cards ,HBM version 2 is hopefully going to have 8gb vram and thats where im going to buy.

In the meantime my 780s play all games @ plus 70 fps on this monitor and gives me a good experience i just cant use freesync but as long as your fps are above 60 i don't think your missing out on much.

If i was you i would hold on to this screen as its a fantastic screen and very much future proof as far as i can see .

Soldato
What's the actual Freesync operating range on this monitor ? Seen a few different numbers so far.

*EDIT*

Also I read something about people having to send their monitors in for a firmware upgrade, What was that all about ?

New stock should now ship with firmware 2.. Before they was a bug with freesync and BenQ AMA setting that resulted in it being disabled.
The return process to BenQ was the best I have ever had tuck less than a week for me to have my monitor sent and back to me.

Soldato
New stock should now ship with firmware 2.. Before they was a bug with freesync and BenQ AMA setting that resulted in it being disabled.
The return process to BenQ was the best I have ever had tuck less than a week for me to have my monitor sent and back to me.

Awesome.

I was thinking of the Asus MG279Q but to me the difference between TN and IPS is a little over hyped plus the Asus only has a range of 35Hz-90Hz.

Associate
Does anyone play skyrim on this monitor? If so how are you solving the +60 htz problem? Is it done in game or on the monitor itself?

You can unlock 60Hz with a console command I think but then the physics in the game go nutz above 60Hz so it's not advisable. However, you can keep the monitor refreshing at 144Hz even though the FPS will be limited to 60.

Associate

*EDIT*

Mine had V2 Firmware out of the box as others did around the same time. I think they must all be V2 by now. :)

Associate
Have had this display for a week+ now. I LOVE the hockey puck !! It's nice to be able to switch between presets at the push of a button plus being able to go through the OSD menu at ease is great. The monitor stand.. omg you could kill an elephant with this thing !! Overall great for a TN panel.. one area that is very subpar (2/10) is the input switching. All too often when swapping to another input (example from DisplayPort to HDMI) the monitor simply shows "No HMDIsignal" . Have to shutdown the display/pc then power up and then works.

Gaming: 9/10
Work: 8/10
Multitasking/MultiInput: 2/10

Associate
It's a beautiful thing indeed!

Yes, OCUK told me it was EOL and gave me a refund, so I got a V2 firmware version elsewhere for significantly cheaper (2nd hand but flawless). 5 Days after being told it was EOL they got 5 in, new stock with V2 firmware. Go figure.

If the different depts maybe spoke to each other they would have still had my £500 as I would have been more than happy to have waited the few days extra.

Associate
Another negative for this display.. along almost the entire bottom edge, there appears to be what would appear like backlight bleed. It's like the panel was misaligned by about 3 mm to high.
ZRD6J56l.jpg

Left = BenQ XL2730 (27" TN)
Right = HPZR2740 (27" ips)

Soldato
It's a beautiful thing indeed!

Yes, OCUK told me it was EOL and gave me a refund, so I got a V2 firmware version elsewhere for significantly cheaper (2nd hand but flawless). 5 Days after being told it was EOL they got 5 in, new stock with V2 firmware. Go figure.

If the different depts maybe spoke to each other they would have still had my £500 as I would have been more than happy to have waited the few days extra.

I emailed BenQ about this monitor being EOL and they said -

"This monitor is still being manufactured and we have no plans to make it EOL anytime soon, Someone at overclockers has their wires crossed."

And that was directly from BenQ so I'm inclined to take their word on the matter :p

Plus not forgetting it only came out around April with reviews from the likes of Linus coming out in June.

Soldato
I emailed BenQ about this monitor being EOL and they said -

"This monitor is still being manufactured and we have no plans to make it EOL anytime soon, Someone at overclockers has their wires crossed."

And that was directly from BenQ so I'm inclined to take their word on the matter :p

Plus not forgetting it only came out around April with reviews from the likes of Linus coming out in June.

Why on earth would their premier gaming monitor with no replacement currently in the pipeline let alone announced/close to production go EOL? It was never a credible thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom