BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

If I'd known a new monitor would make this much of a difference to games I would have gotten one years ago. Absolutely stunning in GTA V, I'm not even playing, I'm just wandering around admiring the view. This monitor is my new favourite toy, it's class.

Hi guys - I know this thread is old but as a new owner I wanted to share my thoughts.

Before I start, I just have to mention that I am very picky about monitors - this is my 4th monitor in the past 12 months and thankfully, I believe I now have a winner.

Previous monitors have included the 24" 1080p Eizo Foris FG2421 120hz/VA panel, the 27" 1440p Asus MG279Q 144hz IPS panel and also the 24" 1080p AOC G2460PF 144 TN panel.

For a plethora of different reasons...

Eizo - input lag, gamma consistency issues, colour issues, viewing angles

Asus - backlight bleeding, 90hz Freesync limitation, input lag with freesync on

AOC - poor quality screen in terms of colours, bug whereby overdrive doesn't work at 144hz, poor viewing angles

....they've all failed to meet my expectations in one way or another.

Today I received my BenQ XL2730Z and I have to say it is practically perfect - what a monitor!!!

I am a stickler for my colours - a real IPS whore and I was bracing myself for another washed out RMA fest but boy was I wrong.

This is simply the been TN panel I've ever seen - in fact, it doesn't do it any justice to paint it with the same brush.

The panel they have used in conjunction with the 8-bit colour depth makes a massive difference to the point where even I am happy (and that's saying something!). After using the settings you guys have posted, I'm really happy with the colour performance all around - you can tell it isn't an IPS screen (the Asus MG279Q definitely had the edge) but it's not leagues apart like a regular TN panel would be; when you add into the mix that there is not real backlight bleed / IPS glow - you are onto a real winner.

After using the Asus MG279Q, I was fearing going back to a monitor of this size but I'm so glad I did - the combination of the lightning fast 1ms gtg (it really makes a noticeable difference over 4ms) and the sheer lack of input lag (again, I am ultra fussy when it comes to input lag - this is the best I've ever experienced) makes the 27" screen usable which wasn't the case with the 4ms Asus screen.

As others have said, if you are thinking about buying this monitor (and have had reservations regarding the quality of TN panels) then stop thinking and buy this!

I was waiting out for the Eizo Foris FS2750 (a 27", 144hz, 1440p, IPS, Freesync, blur reduction monitor coming December / January time) but I'm glad I went for this - at £389 I paid, this is a steal.

I'm willing to bet that the Eizo Foris will either me very expensive (I'm thinking about £580 at least), potentially could have a limited Freesync range or will likely suffer from backlight bleed like the MG279Q (or a combination of these).

Well done BenQ - you've made me a very happy gamer! :)

Hi guys - I know this thread is old but as a new owner I wanted to share my thoughts.

Before I start, I just have to mention that I am very picky about monitors - this is my 4th monitor in the past 12 months and thankfully, I believe I now have a winner.

Previous monitors have included the 24" 1080p Eizo Foris FG2421 120hz/VA panel, the 27" 1440p Asus MG279Q 144hz IPS panel and also the 24" 1080p AOC G2460PF 144 TN panel.

For a plethora of different reasons...

Eizo - input lag, gamma consistency issues, colour issues, viewing angles

Asus - backlight bleeding, 90hz Freesync limitation, input lag with freesync on

AOC - poor quality screen in terms of colours, bug whereby overdrive doesn't work at 144hz, poor viewing angles

....they've all failed to meet my expectations in one way or another.

Today I received my BenQ XL2730Z and I have to say it is practically perfect - what a monitor!!!

I am a stickler for my colours - a real IPS whore and I was bracing myself for another washed out RMA fest but boy was I wrong.

This is simply the been TN panel I've ever seen - in fact, it doesn't do it any justice to paint it with the same brush.

The panel they have used in conjunction with the 8-bit colour depth makes a massive difference to the point where even I am happy (and that's saying something!). After using the settings you guys have posted, I'm really happy with the colour performance all around - you can tell it isn't an IPS screen (the Asus MG279Q definitely had the edge) but it's not leagues apart like a regular TN panel would be; when you add into the mix that there is not real backlight bleed / IPS glow - you are onto a real winner.

After using the Asus MG279Q, I was fearing going back to a monitor of this size but I'm so glad I did - the combination of the lightning fast 1ms gtg (it really makes a noticeable difference over 4ms) and the sheer lack of input lag (again, I am ultra fussy when it comes to input lag - this is the best I've ever experienced) makes the 27" screen usable which wasn't the case with the 4ms Asus screen.

As others have said, if you are thinking about buying this monitor (and have had reservations regarding the quality of TN panels) then stop thinking and buy this!

I was waiting out for the Eizo Foris FS2750 (a 27", 144hz, 1440p, IPS, Freesync, blur reduction monitor coming December / January time) but I'm glad I went for this - at £389 I paid, this is a steal.

I'm willing to bet that the Eizo Foris will either me very expensive (I'm thinking about £580 at least), potentially could have a limited Freesync range or will likely suffer from backlight bleed like the MG279Q (or a combination of these).

Well done BenQ - you've made me a very happy gamer! :)

:):):):):):)Good for you im glad you're happy with this one , i'm quite a few months in now with this panel and i'm still very happy with it indeed , like me and others have said before , for a TN panel the colours and overall picture quality are spot on . you got your yourself a bargain there as when this was first out i think it was all of 500 pounds . ;);););) Happy Gaming Days :)

:):):):):):)Good for you im glad you're happy with this one , i'm quite a few months in now with this panel and i'm still very happy with it indeed , like me and others have said before , for a TN panel the colours and overall picture quality are spot on . you got your yourself a bargain there as when this was first out i think it was all of 500 pounds . ;);););) Happy Gaming Days :)

Yup - exactly; when it was £499 v.s the MG279Q at £479, it was a closer call.

At this price, this screen dominates.

TerminatorUK can you share what settings you finally landed on? You seem as picky as me and I have one arriving next week.

Sure, these are working best for me:

Black Equaliser = 0
Blur Reduction = Off
Colour Vibrance = 10
Brightness = 70
Contrast = 50
Sharpness = 5
Gamma = 5
Colour Temp = User Define (R 91, G 95, B 100)
AMA = High
Dynamic Contrast = 0
Low Blue Light = Off
Instant Mode = On

...essentially most of those are default except for Brightness, Gamma and Colour Temp - those made the biggest difference to me.

Sure, these are working best for me:

Black Equaliser = 0
Blur Reduction = Off
Colour Vibrance = 10
Brightness = 70
Contrast = 50
Sharpness = 5
Gamma = 5
Colour Temp = User Define (R 91, G 95, B 100)
AMA = High
Dynamic Contrast = 0
Low Blue Light = Off
Instant Mode = On

...essentially most of those are default except for Brightness, Gamma and Colour Temp - those made the biggest difference to me.

Those settings look very familiar. ;)

Those settings look very familiar. ;)

lol yes, they are from your review - I claim no credit for these what-so-ever! :)

I preferred these settings over the ones used in the TFTcentral review.

I've filmed another video review of this monitor this weekend - it has just gone to the editor and I'll post a link to it when it is ready.

I'll definitely try the PCM2/TerminatorUK settings first. A lot of brightness settings are too low so I think I'll go with your 70. My current display maxes at 250nits and I keep it maxed there most of the time except in some night situations. TFT's calibrated settings call for 17 Brightness which is only 122nits on their display. TFT says 70 brightness is 238nits on their display so that works out almost perfectly to what I'm used to.

I'll definitely try the PCM2/TerminatorUK settings first. A lot of brightness settings are too low so I think I'll go with your 70. My current display maxes at 250nits and I keep it maxed there most of the time except in some night situations. TFT's calibrated settings call for 17 Brightness which is only 122nits on their display. TFT says 70 brightness is 238nits on their display so that works out almost perfectly to what I'm used to.

Yeah, it's definitely something to set based on preferences and lighting conditions. Hope you enjoy the monitor (I'm sure you will). :)

In my room I found brightness 70 to still be eye meltingly bright. I've got 2 profiles now, 1 for gaming that has it set to 35 and a general web browsing etc mode where it's down at 25. When you first set it that low it does look a dim but my eyes very quickly adjusted and it's much more comfortable on longer sessions now.

So here's a question regarding input lag.

The TFTcentral review showed that the screen had about 4ms of input lag with instant mode on at 144hz but a sluggish 16ms at 60hz.

Unless it is in my head the input lag ranges from amazing at higher framerates down to (what I think) is not so stellar at lower framerates.

Now it might be down to the system performance going from 1080p to 1440p but it feels like more than that.

My question is at follows:

- Does the high input lag apply only when the monitor is set to 60hz with Freesync disabled?

or...

- If you set your screen is set to 144hz with Freesync enabled but your framerate drops to 60 fps, does this combination trigger higher input lag or does it not apply in this case?

and....

- If the screen is set to 144hz, Freesync disabled, would you also get higher input lag when the screen drops to 60 fos or does the fact the screen is still refreshing at 144hz mean that you'll still get the low input lag?

Appreciate any responses in advance! :)

So here's a question regarding input lag.

The TFTcentral review showed that the screen had about 4ms of input lag with instant mode on at 144hz but a sluggish 16ms at 60hz.

Unless it is in my head the input lag ranges from amazing at higher framerates down to (what I think) is not so stellar at lower framerates.

Now it might be down to the system performance going from 1080p to 1440p but it feels like more than that.

My question is at follows:

- Does the high input lag apply only when the monitor is set to 60hz with Freesync disabled?

or...

- If you set your screen is set to 144hz with Freesync enabled but your framerate drops to 60 fps, does this combination trigger higher input lag or does it not apply in this case?

and....

- If the screen is set to 144hz, Freesync disabled, would you also get higher input lag when the screen drops to 60 fos or does the fact the screen is still refreshing at 144hz mean that you'll still get the low input lag?

Appreciate any responses in advance! :)

As I understand it the monitor will process the image signal as it does at 144Hz if FreeSync is enabled regardless of the refresh rate being altered dynamically. If you set the monitor to 144Hz then it doesn't matter the frame rate, the signal delay remains the same (and overall 'input lag' similar). It is only when setting to a static 60Hz refresh rate that the input lag appears to increase.

Does anyone have a Mstar ISP device and can see if it can identify the flash chip?

If it can, then you can probably upgrade 1.0 devices yourself if you have the programmer. I found that this programmer can program far more than just mstar chips, as it's a LCD burner. If it can identify the firmware, you can use the "Load" command and enter a filename to back up the firmware if you already have a V2 firmware installed.

Then you can upload the backup to blurbusters or somewhere for people with programming devices to download :)

http://www.blurbusters.com/benq/diy-firmware-upgrade-for-benq-z-series/

The device I'm referring to is http://www.cart100.com/Product/5278188206/LCD_driver_development_tools___LCD_drive

I was even able to identify the flash chip in the Asus VG248QE, created a backup, and flashed an XL2420Z firmware into it just for fun, bricked it harder than a doorknob, then flashed back and it booted right up with the Asus logo.

Last edited:
I received the monitor. Before I get into any other comments I have a frustrating issue.

When I first booted computer with the new monitor I could select Free Sync in the CCC. I created two presets in the monitor: 1) Blur Reduction Off (for Freesync) and 2) Blur Reduction On. I tested with BR On first and it was nice. I went back to Blur Reduction Off. Free Sync no longer appears in the CCC! Reboot didn't even help.

How can I bring it back?

I received the monitor. Before I get into any other comments I have a frustrating issue.

When I first booted computer with the new monitor I could select Free Sync in the CCC. I created two presets in the monitor: 1) Blur Reduction Off (for Freesync) and 2) Blur Reduction On. I tested with BR On first and it was nice. I went back to Blur Reduction Off. Free Sync no longer appears in the CCC! Reboot didn't even help.

How can I bring it back?

Try turning Blur Reduction on then off again.

Yeah that did it, thanks. So I'll have to toggle the Preset and Blur Reduction both if I'm switching between Free Sync and BR. Oh well! With BR you need to have 100 brightness so it's still quicker changing Presets then Brightness manually.

BR passed the test. Now to test Free Sync. =)

edit:

FreeSync in Battlefield 4 is amazing! What an improvement over my 1080p IPS! With my Fury at 1440p max settings with 4XMSAA (no FXAA) I range from the upper 60s to mid 80s and there's not a tear in sight

Last edited:
turn off blur reduction, no need for it, its really only for those not able to run freesync. Turn on Freesync, turn of vsync in all games and put a fps cap around 120fps or 140fps and prepare for the game changer. OH and make sure to check your desktop properties in CCC for time to time. Mine has a habit of changing back to 60hz from 144hz from time to time. Think it's when I change screen to the TV via hdmi to watch a movie. When I go back to gaming, sometimes it changes to 60hz. You'll notice it straight away in games though :)

If it helps, these are my settings, different for many panels but this is the absolute sweetspot for mine.

Blur Reduction - Off
Black Equaliser - 12
Colour Vibrance - 15
Blue Light - 0
Brightness - 45
Contrast - 45
Sharpness - 7
Gamma 4
Colur Temp - Norm
AMA - High
Dynamic Contrast - 0

Last edited: