BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

As I understand it the monitor will process the image signal as it does at 144Hz if FreeSync is enabled regardless of the refresh rate being altered dynamically. If you set the monitor to 144Hz then it doesn't matter the frame rate, the signal delay remains the same (and overall 'input lag' similar). It is only when setting to a static 60Hz refresh rate that the input lag appears to increase.

Thanks PCM - that at least puts my input lag OCD at rest! ;) I am going to do some more testing but I think this is more 1440p sapping my framerate more than anything :)

Yeah that did it, thanks. So I'll have to toggle the Preset and Blur Reduction both if I'm switching between Free Sync and BR. Oh well! With BR you need to have 100 brightness so it's still quicker changing Presets then Brightness manually.

Yeah I found the same with mine, assigning Blur reduction mode to a preset doesn't seem to actually do anything, it says it does but you still have to manually go into the menu and toggle the blur reduction setting for it to actually change mode.

Sounds like a bug to me.
It seems like that's a bug with how blur reduction actually sends a signal to the video drivers whether freesync is available (which disables blur reduction) or not available. Or maybe I have this backwards. And when you save blur reduction to a gaming preset, recalling the preset doesn't send the freesync check signal. I'm grasping at straws and I could be wrong, but I'm just explaining how this could easily be overlooked from a programming standpoint.

On the previous blur reduction monitors, the state of blur reduction (if it's available in the preset) is recalled instantly when you activate that preset or a gamer 1-3 preset.

Yeah I found the same with mine, assigning Blur reduction mode to a preset doesn't seem to actually do anything, it says it does but you still have to manually go into the menu and toggle the blur reduction setting for it to actually change mode.

That is a bug that occurs on the XL2420Z and XL2730Z and is documented in my reviews. It means you can't just conveniently create gamer profiles for the two things for 'one touch' changes using the S-Switch.

So the issue I reported earlier in this thread seems to only occur when the graphics card drivers are installed. I've tried different versions and every combination of refresh rate and resolution, and there are no issues without the drivers. My spare monitor is fine so it's not the graphics card.

That is a bug that occurs on the XL2420Z and XL2730Z and is documented in my reviews. It means you can't just conveniently create gamer profiles for the two things for 'one touch' changes using the S-Switch.

What's funny is that bug was *FIXED* later on the XL2420Z (and xl2720Z)!
Chief blur buster contacted Benq about it and Benq released V3 firmware (but didn't put it on their website) which fixed the profile issues.
V4 firmware was a Displayport bugfix. Displayport was butchered and unusable in V2. Turn monitor on, you're locked to 800x600@60hz and can't go higher :)

I can confirm that on V4 and V5, whatever default preset you save to a gaming preset, all settings are recalled correctly when you activate it, including the low level color calibrations the original preset used.

Also V3 added the hidden and undocumented AMA low mode for blur reduction on the XL2720Z (found that out from a youtube video). NO idea why it wasn't put in V3 on the XL2420Z or the 11Z.. I tried to crossflash my XL2720Z with the XL2420Z V4 firmware to test what would happen if I attempted to enable the AMA low mode on a crossflashed monitior, but the Eye Care logo and VGA output had scanlines and badly stretched image so I flashed back. (Mstar ISP unit is really useful :)

Looking to get this monitor, I have a question for anyone that has one:
What are the colours like?
Also can you overclock BEYOND the 144hz or is that it?

Colours are amazing for a TN - only slightly behind a good IPS panel - I was really very plesantly surprised.

I am seriously fussy when it comes to colours but the native 8-bit panel makes a massive difference - it is light years ahead of your common TN panel.

Overclocking wise - basically completely unnecessary (and this comes from the guy that overclocks his 4ghz 4790k to 4.5ghz 'because I can') - the screen is incredibly responsive and devoid of any blurring at all - a true delight to use.

My only 'gripe' with the monitor is that there is a gamma shift between the top (darker) and bottom (lighter) portions of the screen which is particularly evident when reading web pages.

I say 'gripe' because I'm being picky - it isn't bad and I put it in the same league as IPS glow - it's just an inherent trait of TN panels. In return you get great, unspoilt content in dark scenes without any IPS glow so it is all swings and roundabouts really.

No - it was the 'normal' price for a while - the day I bought it I was umming and errinv over it and saw the stick dwindle from 8 down to 4 - I think at that price they were selling a bit too easily and must have put the price back up as a result :-(

Yeah I saw the price and was thinking hmmm do I or don't I but I didn't.... :( Couldn't remember if it was a deal though.

Here's hoping for it return to £380 again! :D As much as I love IPS and 21.9, my eyes seem to be getting more strained lately so I need something with great motion and smoothness.

Colours are amazing for a TN - only slightly behind a good IPS panel - I was really very plesantly surprised.

I am seriously fussy when it comes to colours but the native 8-bit panel makes a massive difference - it is light years ahead of your common TN panel.

Overclocking wise - basically completely unnecessary (and this comes from the guy that overclocks his 4ghz 4790k to 4.5ghz 'because I can') - the screen is incredibly responsive and devoid of any blurring at all - a true delight to use.

My only 'gripe' with the monitor is that there is a gamma shift between the top (darker) and bottom (lighter) portions of the screen which is particularly evident when reading web pages.

I say 'gripe' because I'm being picky - it isn't bad and I put it in the same league as IPS glow - it's just an inherent trait of TN panels. In return you get great, unspoilt content in dark scenes without any IPS glow so it is all swings and roundabouts really.

Forgot to add, sorry,
overclocking these monitors (except by downsampling/higher resolutions) is completely pointless. They have a blur blur reduction circuit for a reason. If you want to overclock, set the refresh rate to 120hz and set blur reduction on and set the strobe duty to 012. This will give you persistence equal to 0.083 x 12= 1.0ms (0.996) persistence.

For 144hz 1 ms persistence (1000hz/1000 fps effect at 144 hz/144 fps with vsync on), set strobe duty to 014.

*NOTE* in these monitors strobe duty is called "intensity" in the OSD; strobe duty (and strobe phase, which is called AREA in the OSD) were removed from the service menu. I do not have this monitor, but "strobe duty" and "intensity" may have their values inverted, as they were inverted in the XL2430T, so "intensity 25" = strobe duty 001, so this would be "Intensity 013" for 120hz and intensity 011 for 144hz if you want 1ms persistence. This is *IF* the max value of intensity is 025. If it's 030, then its 18 intensity for 120hz (1ms persistence) and 16 intensity (144 hz 1 ms persistence).

This is equal in motion blur to a 1000 hz LCD running at 1000 FPS.
of course the input lag would be much lower (1 true ms) on such a thing but you get the point. Use blur reduction.

motion_blur_from_persistence.png

motion-blur-graph.png

Last edited:
Yeah I saw the price and was thinking hmmm do I or don't I but I didn't.... :( Couldn't remember if it was a deal though.

Here's hoping for it return to £380 again! :D As much as I love IPS and 21.9, my eyes seem to be getting more strained lately so I need something with great motion and smoothness.

Yeah when I saw that stock dropping - I panicked and purchased; for once I am very glad I did! :-)

I can vouch for the motion clarity - for me the 1ms gtg made it viable to use a 27" screen whereas when I reviewed the Asus MG279Q (4ms gtg, IPS) there was just a bit too much blur (still very good but not 'excellent' like this) to use on a 27" screen.

Video review here of the other screen if you want to make a comparison:

Yeah I watched that when you first posted it, good review like the others.

I can't bring myself to buy asus products when their QC/CS is awful and reports of the bleed put me of as well as the freesync range (initially thought 35-90 was good but not now)

Back
Top Bottom