BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Yeah I watched that when you first posted it, good review like the others.

I can't bring myself to buy asus products when their QC/CS is awful and reports of the bleed put me of as well as the freesync range (initially thought 35-90 was good but not now)

For me it was more the input lag that annoyed me + it was another factor I didn't like to think about - if I've paid for a 144hz screen, I don't want to be limited to 90hz just to use Freesync.

And, yes, the lower-right hand backlight bleed ruined the screen is dark games - it was as borderline excessive.

The new Asus ROG Swift PG279Q looks much better in that regard (the actual panel is different too - they must have been waiting for a more premium part for their ROG line) but it obviously you'll need an NVIDIA GPU to enjoy it to its full potential - especially at the £750 price tag.

It will be amuzing if OLED sweeps the market within a couple of years, making all existing tech look black & white hunks of cr@p! :) - screens like the above will lose half their value overnight.

That is one thing I have never really had a problem with on my IPS screens, input lag, I'm sure the difference is night and day though but can't say it bothers me anywhere as much as motion/blur does.

I watch/play a lot of dark content so deep blacks and the detail being visible in those areas is a must.

And yup, OLED TV's have come a long way with regards to uniformity, image retention etc. so hoping that we aren't too far of OLED monitors, although I imagine it will be a good 2/3 years until then.... once they are out at a decent price, all LCD's will be dead to me! :p

It is unfortunate that we will be tied to AMD/nvidia with regards to our monitor choices now, I really don't like the thought of that but in the long run I can see freesync/adaptive sync winning.... and besides there is no way I am paying more than £500 for a monitor.

Likewise, never had an issue with IPS input lag, but I know people who certainly claim to pick up on it, and insist on fast TN panels, happy to accept the colour shift/reproduction issues and inferior blacks that come with it. All very subjective at the end of the day.

I agree OLED has the potential to be a game changer, but it's a wayyy off. DP 1.3 will step things forward MUCH sooner though, and I do believe if the manufacturers can get their act together, it would be VERY achievable to produce a genuine high quality 1440p 21:9 IPS panel, fitted with a polarizer to prevent glow, along with proper QC to catch other issues... and with DP 1.3 implementation that will enable a native speed higher than 100Hz (none of this overclocked nonsense), then we would have as near a perfect monitor as possible until OLED can manage the same... which I suspect is a good 2-3 years away. The perfect IPS monitor is within sight... the question is if someone will actually make it or not!?

And if 21:9 isn't your cup of tea, then there really would be nothing stopping them producing a high quality 16:9 panel TODAY! The one used in the PG279Q is really not up to task.

Last edited:
I'm now almost certain this is going to be my next monitor. If only I could get it for under (or close to) £400!

I really want IPS too but I want to experience freesync with a wide hz range.

TerminatorUK, your video has made it easier for me to decide!

When I get it, I'm going to buy a R9 390 (or a second hand 290x) to tie me over until AMD Greenland next year. :)

I'm now almost certain this is going to be my next monitor. If only I could get it for under (or close to) £400!

I really want IPS too but I want to experience freesync with a wide hz range.

TerminatorUK, your video has made it easier for me to decide!

When I get it, I'm going to buy a R9 390 (or a second hand 290x) to tie me over until AMD Greenland next year. :)

Good - glad it helped. Honestly the margins between IPS and this screen are slim - forget any of your previous TN panel experiences - they barely apply.

I was going to hold out for the Eizo Foris FS2750 that is coming December / January time (27", 1440p, 144hz, IPS, 4ms gtg, Freesync, native blur reduction mode) but I don't think I fancy even entertaining it to be honest now - I'm sure it'll be in the £550-600 region too.

I opened an RMA for my monitor, and it has been sent back with no faults detected, although the issue is definitely real. Not sure where to go from here :confused:

Tested a couple of other monitors on my PC and they have no issues.

Hello all.

Had this monitor for around 5 weeks. First week I had it I had an issue where there would what appears to be static links appearing on the screen. Only happened a couple time for 2-5 minutes each time.

For the past 5 weeks everythings been okay, now since 2 days ago its been like it none stop.

Has anyone ever had this issue or know how to fix it?

Links to images of the issue- http://imgur.com/a/FMQqi

Thanks

Hi, bit of a cross post from here but have just picked one of these up, along with a 'Sapphire Radeon Fury Tri-X' and so was wondering - save me trawling the thread for info - if there is anything I need to know? re: settings etc.

Thanks !

I'm noticing that the screen is flickering, particularly during loading screens, on some games. I saw this post concerning G-sync monitors - http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Look-Reported-G-Sync-Display-Flickering - and it does mention that any variable refresh screen can have this problem.

I tried lowering from 144hz to 120hz but it still flickers, although it seems a little better. It's in Star Wars Battlefront that it seems really bad though.

Anyone else experiencing this? (Sorry if it has been mentioned, I was up to date on this thread until last month).

Hello all.

Had this monitor for around 5 weeks. First week I had it I had an issue where there would what appears to be static links appearing on the screen. Only happened a couple time for 2-5 minutes each time.

For the past 5 weeks everythings been okay, now since 2 days ago its been like it none stop.

Has anyone ever had this issue or know how to fix it?

Links to images of the issue- http://imgur.com/a/FMQqi

Thanks

Ive had that a couple of times while browsing, its a driver prob, i just CTRL+ALT+DEL to fix it, then press ESC to get back to my desktop.

Hi, bit of a cross post from here but have just picked one of these up, along with a 'Sapphire Radeon Fury Tri-X' and so was wondering - save me trawling the thread for info - if there is anything I need to know? re: settings etc.

Thanks !

Hey great card and monitor configuration.....just like mine :D

I put up some of the settings from other posters two pages ago (Pg 53) but TerminatorUk also put one of his own up (Pg 54, I think) and quite a few liked his settings too...I'm going to put them in as another profile on my S Switch to try them out. The S-Switch...another fine feature from Benq. :)

I am loving my monitor/gfx combo so far. I did have some flickering a few weeks ago but then realised that my windows desktop was running at 60Hz and so I upped it to 144Hz and the flickering dissappeared.....I'm sure I set it to 144Hz to start with though? Oh Well, all good now.

Enjoy your Monitor/GFX card combo
:D

Do the undocumented features on the S-switch still work on this monitor?
It's not even listed in the Benq manual.

But, on XL2720Z:
hold down button #1 (ENTER/EXIT) button on S-switch for 8+ seconds=Standard mode

Hold down a profile 1-3 gamer button for 8+ seconds = saves preset to the profile
(edit) this is listed in the manual. But the standard mode switch ("return button" for 8 seconds) is not listed at all.

I'd check the XL2730Z manual if it didn't take 20 years to download -.-

Last edited:
Hi all, I picked up this monitor a few days ago and for the most part it's great. However, with the newest crimson drivers that came out I get weird flickering on the desktop when I alt tab out of games. I also get the same kind of flickering when playing heroes of the storm but I haven't seen it in any other games I have tried out. It looks kind of like the backlight is flickering or something like that. It's definitely freesync related because if I turn off freesync it goes away. Also I rolled back my drivers and the desktop flickering went away, but not the flickering in heroes of the storm.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem? I'm using a sapphire tri x 290xx to drive the display, I've thought about removing the overclocking from the card even though it's a factory overclocking but haven't tried that yet.

I'd liek to figure out if this is a problem with my particular display or a driver problem so I can get a replacement for the monitor before the time is up on that.

I believe I'm getting the blurring that I've seen a few others complain of :(

Not happy.
Not sure whether to get a replacement or just get a different monitor. There's the worry that a replacement would do the same thing in a few months time.

Back
Top Bottom