BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Soldato
Thanks.

I read reviews of "CRT like" performance with this monitor in relation to blur.

I guess they were exaggerated?

Possibly yes....

The monitor is great. The image is dead sharp, and believe me when Freesync is working, you see a nice smooth motion even on games like World of Tanks (ancient engine) and especially War Thunder and Armored Warfare, who have newer engines the latter CryEngine 3.

I play competitive gaming on those, and that involves ESL competition on WoT. And without this monitor, everything feels wrong, even aiming with dead accurate tanks :( And I had more than 26,000 battles on the ancient 2410T!!!!! before the 2730Z.

Also ESL used the XL2730Z last year on the WOT World Finals in Warsaw.

And as you know they do not use "run of the mill" monitor on ESL competitive levels :)

Saying that, any 1ms monitor would work. The Asus is also superb, however if I was on the marker right now for a 2560x1440 144hz monitor, I would spend the extra £45 and grab the ASUS IPS one.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...escreen-led-slim-bezel-monitor-mo-083-as.html

Which I am tempted, if I get bothered to put for sale the 2730Z (is refurbished replacement of last week) for around £320

Soldato
Saying that, any 1ms monitor would work. The Asus is also superb, however if I was on the marker right now for a 2560x1440 144hz monitor, I would spend the extra £45 and grab the ASUS IPS one.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...escreen-led-slim-bezel-monitor-mo-083-as.html

Which I am tempted, if I get bothered to put for sale the 2730Z (is refurbished replacement of last week) for around £320

I would hold off.

There are rumoured improvements to Freesync for panels with HDMI 2.0 supported scalers. Changes to the Freesync low end down to 23hz natively.

The ASUS does not have HDMI 2.0 as far as I know.

Associate
Smashd_Potatoes said:
Originally Posted by Smashd_Potatoes View Post

Having a small nightmare with mine.

Get ready for the spec....

Pro: Intel i5-4440k @3.1GHz
Ram: 8gb 1600mhz. (Corsair value select...)
Mobo: MSI PC Mate H97
GPU: Asus Radeon R9 390. core clock 1000MHz, mem clock 1500MHz, 8gb ddr5.
Monitor: BenQ XL2730z.

Not a clue myself where to go with this now so any input is appreciated. I've done a fresh install of windows, updated all the drivers. And still suffering from a clearly noticeable screen tear in more than one game. I may have exaggerated by saying every game, because I've only tried two. Rocket League and Battlefront. But both are screen tearing terribly even with freesync on.

I'm using the display port cable that comes with the monitor, and all the other features seem to be working fine. When I enter the display settings on the monitor it states it's current res is 2560x1440 @144, with freesync on. When I enter the radeon crimson settings it also states that freesync is on. Hovering the mouse pops up a bubble stating "refresh rate reported...40-80hz". This has went up from 40-60. Which happened after I increased the refresh rate in the custom resolution settings. However it has stayed at 40-80hz, despite myself resetting the settings to factory default. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Anyways during game whether freesync be on, or freesync be off. Very noticeable screen tearing. I was using the fps counter steam supplies when playing rocket. It was reaching 70fps max, which shouldn't really be fast enough to screen tear the display at all.

Like I says, don't know where to go from here tried so much lost for answers now so anything helps, cheers.

Smashd_.

FIXED !!!!!!!!!

AMD helped me out on this one. So if you know anyone who can't get their monitor to refresh at the pace it should. Get them to check this >>
pastedImage_0.png

Everyone else I know had their display settings change automatically. But mine didn't. The only difference I can point the finger at between theirs and my installations. Are that I got the new monitor AFTER a windows 10 installation. Where as they all had a gaming monitor during 7 or 8 and then upgraded.

Associate
I had mine RMA'd and it only took 5 working days for it to get back to me so well done benq!
Upon testing it out, I noticed that I am now getting much better fps in game? I'm now getting around 80-90 fps in witcher 3 on 1440p (55-60 before, vsync off) and 70-80 fps in dying light (48-65 before) on 1440p as well, in game graphics settings have not been touched and I haven't updated any hardware....anyone else noticed an improvement in fps after firmware update?

Soldato
I would advice everyone to throw away the DP cable that came with the monitor and buy a DP1.2 compatible one.

Any flickering you are experiencing (if the scaller hasn't been damaged by now), is down to the crap cable.

Got the refurb monitor last week and had the same flickering initially had with my old monitor (before it went pear shape completely).

This time though I have more options than DP, and the R9 Nano comes with HDMI which worked fine and the screen was crystal clear. So decided to buy a second DP cable (the one over Xmas was mDP to DP because of the 295X2)

The cable came in tonight. plugged on and the screen is crystal clear with Freesync.

If I put back the cable that came with the monitor, only using the Catalyst 15.6 the screen is not flickering. Same cable tried on various non Freesync monitors at work, with AMD & NV & Intel and had no issues.

So throw it away, spend ~ 15 quid and buy a DP1.2 compatible cable. It will save you a lot of hassle.

Soldato
Anyone that's having problems with this monitor at 144Hz 1440P in Windows 10, make sure you have Windows DVR turned off in the Xbox app - it plays havoc with AMD's drivers.

I turned off DVR and uninstalled the Xbox app when I first got Windows 10 on release.

HOWEVER, the big update that happened a few weeks ago (maybe a month or two ago, can't remember the date) decided to RESTORE this xbox app and re-enable DVR.

Make sure that **** is disabled!

Soldato
Could some one please tell me what ghosting is like on their screen when they are only getting between 40 and 50 fps? On my screen with freesync enabled it is quite noticeable but when you go above 60 fps it becomes much less obvious. Is this normal?
Also how much of a difference does AMA make? My screen has version 2 firmware but I couldn't tell any difference between the settings, ghosting was still very noticeable when under 50fps

Soldato
Could some one please tell me what ghosting is like on their screen when they are only getting between 40 and 50 fps? On my screen with freesync enabled it is quite noticeable but when you go above 60 fps it becomes much less obvious. Is this normal?
Also how much of a difference does AMA make? My screen has version 2 firmware but I couldn't tell any difference between the settings, ghosting was still very noticeable when under 50fps

I have noticed on some other FreeSync models that the overdrive becomes less than optimal at lower refresh/frame rates. The XL2730Z I tested didn't have this issue as it didn't have AMA selectable at all with FreeSync enabled (an original revision).

Do you notice the AMA selection making a significant difference at higher frame rates? What about if you disable FreeSync and run in this 50fps environment, do you observe similar issues?

Associate

There is some slight ghosting at just over 40 fps, not much but it is there if you look really hard.

It is slightly more noticeable under 50 fps than over.

I can see the difference when changing the ama settings at that lower fps though and still think that the high setting is best.

It isn't something that has bothered me since owning the monitor.

Soldato
I have AMA on high but I can't tell a difference when it's off or when set to premium. I took some pictures with my phone camera which I'll post later on. Not sure if it's a valid way of showing my issue but you can see for ghost image clearly in the pictures.

Edit - or is posting the pictures a waste of time due to the speed of my camera making it look worse?
Is there a more accurate way to show ghosting from a monitor?

Last edited:
Soldato
So decided not to post pictures as I think my phone camera isn't an accurate enough way to show the issue.
Now I've tried AMA on all settings, with and without Freesync on and I can't tell any difference other than the image is much smoother with freesync.
TBH I'm not sure if its blur or ghosting but it can be quite distracting when fps is below 50 especially when I keep reading that ghosting and blur is very minimal on this screen.

Associate
Anyone have a problem with theirs starting in the wrong picture mode.

Even though the menu is ticked on Gamer 1 and looks to start on that, it starts on something very washed out, presumably standard settings, i have to go into picture mode, then have to move the menu up one and then back down one to gamer 1 , press enter and it restores the Gamer 1 settings ?

If i just press enter on gamer1 , doesnt work, have to move up one, but not press enter on another picture mode, move back down and press enter .. annoying .. i often forget till i realise BF4 etc looks wrong.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone have a problem with theirs starting in the wrong picture mode.

Even though the menu is ticked on Gamer 1 and looks to start on that, it starts on something very washed out, presumably standard settings, i have to go into picture mode, then have to move the menu up one and then back down one to gamer 1 , press enter and it restores the Gamer 1 settings ?

If i just press enter on gamer1 , doesnt work, have to move up one, but not press enter on another picture mode, move back down and press enter .. annoying .. i often forget till i realise BF4 etc looks wrong.

Only if I unplug it. But as I have my preset on 1, I just press that but I do have to go back into the options to turn off the bleeps.

Back
Top Bottom