BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
How much will the Eizo cost on release.

I can get the XL2730Z for £384 brand new. Im currently using the asus mg279q and loving it though I cant get it working at 144hz.

Not sure if the XL2730Z is worth £100 quid less for the TN panel, albeit it has more features than the asus.

What to do.

Associate
I've got to say Falkentyne, that monitor does look damn nice! However what are Eizo like as a monitor manufacturer? I've never owned any of their monitors before, are they focused on high-end solutions or have I just been living under a rock for the last few years!?

Also, what makes you think it'll be any better than the ASUS MG279Q?

Associate
I've got to say Falkentyne, that monitor does look damn nice! However what are Eizo like as a monitor manufacturer? I've never owned any of their monitors before, are they focused on high-end solutions or have I just been living under a rock for the last few years!?

Also, what makes you think it'll be any better than the ASUS MG279Q?

Eizo will cost your arm, leg and your firstborn. Remember this is an IPS 2560x1440, so it won't be cheap :)

The MG279Q does not have ANY sort of blur reduction. the Eizo will, which makes it far more attractive just for that alone.
If the Eizo can do 60hz single strobe without crosstalk covering 80% of the screen I'll be all over that thing.

Wonder if the Eizo can use freesync with blur reduction at the same time. THIS will be interesting...if it double strobed, there would be no 60hz strobe backlight flicker for low framerates...

And Eizo got a very bad rap on hardforum due to their Foris FG2421 VA panel (with 105hz-120hz strobing, although it double strobed, 105hz via custom resolution was the low limit) being a bigger panel lottery than the Acer XB270HU was. They were using parts that didn't meet QA standards for their $4,000 satellite panel (it was basically 100% identical spec wise) so you could have any sorts of random issues like big screen imperfections, bad gamma issues, discolorations, crosshatching so obvious it made games look bad in certain spots, or you could wind up with a panel that looked like the best thing you have ever seen.

Simon @ Tftcentral (And PCM2 of pcmonitors): if you get an Eizo for testing, PLEASE test the blur reduction at multiple refresh rates!

/rant mode on

I'm still going to call benq later and ask them if they can fix the strobe issues with the XL2730Z. I don't even think they KNOW why vertical total tweaks worked on the previous Z series also, but I'm 100% sure its a "feature" (side effect) of them using part of the Lightboost hardware and adapting it to blur reduction through the Mstar scaler and some extra logic added, e.g. the brown wire allowing full LED on/off control of the backlight. Benq claimed to someone who had asked about the strobe bugs, that single strobe could not be added by a realtek firmware update, but that doesn't explain the 100hz sync issue. I mean...I can make the XL2720Z go out of sync also by using the 120hz vertical total VT at 100hz via a custom resolution on the Mstar ones!! So I don't get it...

The whole reason our older Z series monitors would strobe at every refresh rate was because it 1) would revert to failsafe 60hz backlight pulse widths (persistence values) if the vertical total were not at the default VT expected for that resolution, but would keep the strobe pulse for the refresh rate correctly, and 2) the Vertical Total value controlled the strobe "Area" (pulse) Signal to the scaler (VT 1500=lightboost crosstalk aka "Accelerated scanout", which is why VT 1502 is the highest VT possible (1440p type VT).

Last edited:

X3T

X3T

Associate
Got a weird issue with my monitor. Text on any light coloured background appears to have a thin white outline above and to the left of it. It's very annoying as it makes text look '3D' :(

I've tried changing the sharpness level in the OSD but it has no effect.

Associate
Got a weird issue with my monitor. Text on any light coloured background appears to have a thin white outline above and to the left of it. It's very annoying as it makes text look '3D' :(

I've tried changing the sharpness level in the OSD but it has no effect.

Did this just happen out of the blue?
How long was it 'Fine" for?

Try unplugging the monitor from the AC/wall for about 15 minutes and let it discharge completely. You can speed it up a bit by pressing the power button while it's unplugged.

If that doesn't fix it then the panel is shot, and RMA it. This has happened with ROG Swifts also.

X3T

X3T

Associate
Did this just happen out of the blue?
How long was it 'Fine" for?

Try unplugging the monitor from the AC/wall for about 15 minutes and let it discharge completely. You can speed it up a bit by pressing the power button while it's unplugged.

If that doesn't fix it then the panel is shot, and RMA it. This has happened with ROG Swifts also.
It was like it as soon as I set it up. I'll try the power thing. The effect is very subtle but I can definitely notice it.

X3T

X3T

Associate
Here is a photo of the effect:

goLuR0H.jpg

Taken on my phone so it's quite hard to see, but you can just make out the white glow above the text.

Associate
Here is a photo of the effect:

goLuR0H.jpg

Taken on my phone so it's quite hard to see, but you can just make out the white glow above the text.

Now i don't know if this is relevant but i used to get this on my tv and it was the sharpness that was up to high, have you tried windows clear text config ? ,
I cant remember how to get to it , i think its in windows display setting somewhere .

Associate
I only got this effect if the sharpness was higher than 5 (the default) and only to the LEFT or right of text. Never above it. This is on an XL2720Z. Sharpness 6 didn't really show it very much and the sharper font was better than 5 so I use that, but 5 should be perfect.

So having it above the text is definitely abnormal. Might need to RMA.

Last edited:
Soldato
I only got this effect if the sharpness was higher than 5 (the default) and only to the LEFT or right of text. Never above it. This is on an XL2720Z. Sharpness 6 didn't really show it very much and the sharper font was better than 5 so I use that, but 5 should be perfect.

So having it above the text is definitely abnormal. Might need to RMA.

Dude, dont write your bad experiences about DIFFERENT MONITORS HERE. Go make a thread and complain about the XL2720Z. The XL2730Z is different monitor.

----------------------------------------------
As for the monitor, I have it almost 6 months, is perfect and not going to change it until it dies or upgrade to something bigger after 2017-18.

Associate
Dude, dont write your bad experiences about DIFFERENT MONITORS HERE. Go make a thread and complain about the XL2720Z. The XL2730Z is different monitor.

----------------------------------------------
As for the monitor, I have it almost 6 months, is perfect and not going to change it until it dies or upgrade to something bigger after 2017-18.

Excuse me but your toxic flame post was uncalled for.
I was helping the poster having problems with his monitor. You have no right to harass me the way you did.

Associate
Guys I'm thinking of getting this monitor! however I have 2 Nvidia GTX 680, I know I won't be able to use FreeSync, But would I still benefit from 144hz? I mainly play csgo and even that Res I wouldn't use the Native. I really want a 1440p monitor with 144hz for gaming and the high res for browsing and well it just looks sexual! any help would be great. cheers

X3T

X3T

Associate
Excuse me but your toxic flame post was uncalled for.
I was helping the poster having problems with his monitor. You have no right to harass me the way you did.
Yeh that was a bit weird :confused:

Anyway thanks for your help, I think it will need to be an RMA then.

Soldato
Guys I'm thinking of getting this monitor! however I have 2 Nvidia GTX 680, I know I won't be able to use FreeSync, But would I still benefit from 144hz? I mainly play csgo and even that Res I wouldn't use the Native. I really want a 1440p monitor with 144hz for gaming and the high res for browsing and well it just looks sexual! any help would be great. cheers

Yeah the monitor will work has a normal monitor.. Only Freesync you will loose out on.

Its a stunning monitor.

Back
Top Bottom