Best 1440p monitor for £500

Associate
Mainly gaming and browsing the net I guess. Watch a few tv shows on it too.

Would like to avoid dell after the power button failing after just a year on my current monitor.

Like the samsung's but they are a bit too pricey for me. The Asus seems good value.

If the power button failed just after a year I would be pressing the supplier of the monitor under the sale of goods act and stating that it was not fit for purpose. :)

Soldato
OP
If the power button failed just after a year I would be pressing the supplier of the monitor under the sale of goods act and stating that it was not fit for purpose. :)

Tried this but as it was a few weeks out of warranty, I had no joy from either the supplier or dell. Criminal really for a £400 monitor.

I guess I could have chased it through the small claims court but as the monitor was still usable I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Associate
Hmm, if the Dell is indeed now changing their return policies, then I would seriously advice everybody to re-evaluate their view on the "Dell" imago. Part of the value of buying a Dell monitor was their hassle-free warranty policy. If they remove this, then people should immediately count that against the buying decision.

Though bear in mind: the Dell U2713HM is NOT an expensive monitor for what it offers (2560x1440, pivot, PWM-free). It's just that if the warranty is not what people have come to expect from Dell, then it should be rightfully compared to the other low-budget monitors, like Catleap, Overlord, Hazro, etc. Because that's indeed what the Dell monitor becomes without the good warranty; a normal low-budget monitor.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure any monitor costing over £400 can be called a budget offering but I know what you mean. It is a bit cheaper than comparable models.

No way I'll buy a dell knowing I can't send it back if it is riddled with defects though.

Associate
Edit: Ok so it's on the monitor (duh) revision A00 manufactured December 2012

Mine is also December 2012 Rev A00, from reading on the net i think its just a lottery whether you get one without light bleed, glad you got a good one your happy with, if you do get a good one they are a great monitor, very nice colours and deep blacks etc

Associate
Ok, I've decided to take a punt on the dell as £399 was too good a price to ignore. I can't justify an extra £75 for the Asus. Just hope I get a good one!

If you get a good one they are a fantastic monitor, brilliant colours and great clarity, the black levels are superb.

Things you need to bare in mind though, you won't be able to return a 27 inch monitor with insurance cover, i found no courier would do this as its in the exempt lists if you look, they will deliver it for you but it states clearly that the monitor won't be covered against damage or loss.

All the ones i checked were the same, parcel2go, parcel monkey, parcel force, city link, dpd etc.

If your able to drop it off at OCUK yourself then its no problem and i would take the punt myself if i could do that.

Soldato
OP
Done some more testing on it and the yellow bleed in the bottom left hand corner is truly shocking :eek:

What on earth are Dell playing at letting them out of the factory in this state?? I'm just glad that it has a stuck red pixel as well so I can get Dell to replace it on site.

Very disappointed in this monitor :(

Associate
Done some more testing on it and the yellow bleed in the bottom left hand corner is truly shocking :eek:

What on earth are Dell playing at letting them out of the factory in this state?? I'm just glad that it has a stuck red pixel as well so I can get Dell to replace it on site.

Very disappointed in this monitor :(

Join the ever growing club in being disappointed with this monitor, you only have to read customers opinions on the net.

The thing that has disappointed me most is Dell's attitude to the obvious problem of light bleed with this monitor which isn't a cheap, tacky bargain basement monitor, read the box where it says premium panel :eek:

It sounds to me like they are washing their hands of the problem and passing the problem onto the customers, its laughable that they say its within tolerances, whose tolerances exactly ?

You can bet your house on it that the monitors that they show off at places like CES and other shows are hand picked monitors with no issues, the same as the ones that will send out to be reviewed to places like tfcentral etc.

I'm not sure i even want another Dell product again after their attitude with this which has left people like myself out of pocket having to return them for a refund, not sure what i'm going to buy next but i doubt very much it will be a Dell.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Join the ever growing club in being disappointed with this monitor, you only have to read customers opinions on the net.

The thing that has disappointed me most is Dell's attitude to the obvious problem of light bleed with this monitor which isn't a cheap, tacky bargain basement monitor, read the box where it says premium panel :eek:

It sounds to me like they are washing their hands of the problem and passing the problem onto the customers, its laughable that they say its within tolerances, whose tolerances exactly ?

You can bet your house on it that the monitors that they show off at places like CES and other shows are hand picked monitors with no issues, the same as the ones that will send out to be reviewed to places like tfcentral etc.

You're spot on with all of that unfortunately :(

I bought it thinking that people with problems shout loudest and that there must be plenty of people happy with this monitor just not posting. Thought I stood a good chance of getting an acceptable quality monitor.

It seems I am wrong and that it is total pot luck if you get a good one. I'm going to give Dell one chance to replace it with a good one before sending it back for a refund and buying the Asus (as I should have done in the first place).

Associate
Hope you get sorted Ivan

You will have a top monitor if you get a good one, its just Dell's shoddy attitude to an obvious problem that leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Soldato
OP
Just tried some Crysis 3 and in darkish scenes the whole bottom left corner is yellow :( Totally unacceptable. The bottom right has some minor white bleed but its not too bad. The stuck red pixel is only visible on a black screen.

It's a real shame as it is obviously a great monitor if these flaws weren't present.

Thanks for your comments anyway :)

Soldato
OP
Been on to dell this morning. They will replace the monitor next week. Only because of the stuck red pixel though.

The bloke reckoned the appalling yellow bleed was ok!! Unbelievable!! The whole bottom left corner lights up yellow even in a lit environment!!

I'll never buy another dell as long as I live and if the replacement is no good it will be returned for a refund and I'll be buying the Asus.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom