Best 1440p monitor for £500

Soldato
Cheers for taking the time to write this, appreciate it :)

I'm reading that the viewsonic isn't great for games though? Poor response times being mentioned?

12ms grey to grey is quoted I believe which puts some people off. This is a great case of how little these figures mean in practice. The ViewSonic has configurable overdrive and set to the 'Advanced' setting provides an experience about as good as you'll get form any IPS or PLS. It's quite comparable to the ASUS PB278Q set to its best mode.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for clearing that up :)

I'm really used to my 27 incher now and it's going to be hard to go back to 24 inch lower res :(

In your opinion, what is the better all round monitor out of the Asus and the viewsonic? Is the viewsonic worth the extra £75?

Soldato
I think I am favouring the Asus myself. I know what will happen, I will buy it and next week a new range of monitors will be announced lol.

Associate
If you look at the reviews on youtube you will see that the Samsung is like looking into a mirror as its highly reflective, i had the Samsung SA950D and you could have a decent shave using the monitor as a mirror.

Soldato
catleap or overlord as they will both do 120hz @ 1440p

While 120hz is nice, one would have to consider the very poor/nonexisting warranty and that you would have to go through ebay to get one. Also most of these screens sold on ebay do not use A or A+ panels. You might get lucky and get a good one but then again, why gamble.

On another note. Im looking at the Asus PB278Q and several sites referrer to it as 75hz, this isn't true is it? cause that would be too awwsome.

Soldato
OP
Just switched back to my old 2407wfp and packed up the u2713hm ready to send back for a refund. Can't believe how small and restrictive the 24 inch feels :( No way I can go back to this screen having used the 27 inch 1440p one for a few weeks.

Will definitely be ordering another 1440p screen as soon as my refund is sorted. Just need to decide which one. Preferably one with the least backlight bleed.

Associate
consider the very poor/nonexisting warranty...

A lot of Americans suggest using SquareTrade for the warranty(there seems to be a UK branch). Can't really blame people for being attracted to the monitors since you can often buy two(checked for dead pixels) for the price of one here - of course they are a bit basic feature wise...

Associate
Great read this thread.

I went for the Asus based on it and is has been delivered today. Will let you know how it goes.

I had a 24" Dell with the same power button issue, however just lived with it and found if it was powered off I could twist it around again. Loved that screen though and got years of use out of it.

Replaced it with a 144mhz Benq 24" monitor and totally underwhelmed by it. 1080p was disappointing after 1200p and I just dont see what the difference is when it comes to refresh rate. So after 4 months Ive decided to get rid of it and replace it with something bigger, hoping the Asus 27" lives up to expectations.

Im an amateur photographer so hope it will be better than the Benq which even after using a calibration device never looked right.

Soldato
OP
Glad you have found this thread helpful jamman :) Fingers crossed you are happy with the Asus. I'll be interested to know how you find it.

Been searching for alternatives to the Dell and have come across the Eizo EV2736W which is a bit more expensive but not silly money. Anyone have any experience of this monitor?

Edit: Also noticed that Liyama have the XB2776QS also.

Leaning towards the Viewsonic at the moment but the huge stand kind of puts me off.

Last edited:
Associate
Well its here and I have to say its fantastic.

So so pleased with it, makes the BenQ look like a piece of crap straight out of the box.

Lovely colours, not obvious faults and the resolution is great.

Delighted with it.

Soldato
Well its here and I have to say its fantastic.

So so pleased with it, makes the BenQ look like a piece of crap straight out of the box.

Lovely colours, not obvious faults and the resolution is great.

Delighted with it.

That's really the difference between TN and IPS though as opposed to the BenQ being a bad monitor.

The BenQ is in fact a superb monitor at what it's meant for. If you're using it for photography I personally never would have recommended a 120/144 Hz monitor in the first place.

Associate
That's really the difference between TN and IPS though as opposed to the BenQ being a bad monitor.

The BenQ is in fact a superb monitor at what it's meant for. If you're using it for photography I personally never would have recommended a 120/144 Hz monitor in the first place.

I use it for pretty much everything, gaming, work, photography.

This screen impressed me instantly whereas the Benq was totally underwhelming. I shouldnt have bought a 1080p 24" as it was smaller than the Dell I had. But that aside I have just never been impressed with the picture on it, whereas this one looks great.

Soldato
OP
After wading through numerous forum threads on various monitors, I've come to the conclusion there is no such thing as an ips monitor with zero backlight bleed :( it seems they all have it to a degree! Why are there no VA panel 27 inchers? The SPVA panel in my 2407wfp has zero backlight bleed!

Soldato
After wading through numerous forum threads on various monitors, I've come to the conclusion there is no such thing as an ips monitor with zero backlight bleed :( it seems they all have it to a degree! Why are there no VA panel 27 inchers? The SPVA panel in my 2407wfp has zero backlight bleed!

I wonder if the Apple 27" Thunderbolt display is "perfect"? The price certainly isn't.

Back
Top Bottom