Best 1440p monitor for £500

Soldato
OP
Ok, just set up my replacement u2713hm (it's a Jan 13 rev00) and it is much better than the last one. No dead pixels this time and much less light bleed.

However, there is still a noticeable small patch at the bottom edge slightly to the left of the middle.

Now need to decide whether to swap for another one, get a refund and go for the Asus or just keep what I have.

The most frustrating thing is that my old 2407WFP had zero light bleed and other than the power button issue was perfect. So in the space of 5 years since I bought it, monitors have actually got worse in this respect :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
u2713hm is classed as a budget monitor and cant expect the same warranty as a top end screen compared to the u2713h and a u2711 i dont expect the warranty to be as good from the manufacturer on these. but from a quick scan it looks like theres been quite a few complaints about the hm versions

Soldato
u2713hm is classed as a budget monitor and cant expect the same warranty as a top end screen compared to the u2713h and a u2711 i dont expect the warranty to be as good from the manufacturer on these. but from a quick scan it looks like theres been quite a few complaints about the hm versions

Warranty is the same next day swap for 3 years.

Soldato
OP

I'm not sure how anything that costs £400 can be classed as 'budget' :confused:

I'd say the Korean models are budget, but surely not a £400 Dell?

Associate
ah well in that case there should be no argument over warranty claims on these as opposed to the higher end models then

i didnt mean bargain basement but its the lower/mid range version i didnt expect the warranty to be the same .

if it is 3 years as per the rest surely people can return if not happy on a no quibble basis.?

Soldato
OP
Realised that maybe the default backlight setting of 75 was a little on the bright side and turned it down to 50. Can't see the light bleed patch nearly so much now.

Will have a play with it over the weekend and decide if I'm going to keep or switch. I've gotten used to 1440p now and don't think I want to go back to the 24 inch now anyway.

Soldato
I'm running at 40 Brightness and 75 Contrast. The default brightness setting was burning my eyes. :p

Anyway glad your replacement is better Ivan, even if not 100% perfect. Mine isn't but decided I can live with it. If I had sent it back then I might have got one which was worse than the one I have now.

Associate
Ive decided to go down a different route after Dell's attitude with the light bleed on my U2713HM.

Seeing as i'm not really a gamer and my main use for a monitor would be watching films and TV in my bedroom i'm going to buy a 46 inch TV to mount on the wall just above my current monitor, that way i get the best of both worlds, a monitor to do my browsing and general PC stuff on and a big screen to watch things like movies etc

I certainly wouldn't buy another Dell product again after that episode, if you get a good U2713HM then you have got a really good monitor.

Soldato
OP
Never seen any image retention on an LCD before :confused:

Even with the brightness at 45 I can still see some slight bleed at the bottom of the screen in really dark scenes on bioshock infinite.

Damn, wish I'd bought the Asus now. Although chances are that would have some bleed too.

I thought they were supposed to be improving LCD tech :confused:

Soldato
OP
Have you tried games and movies with dark scenes? What do you have the brightness set to? I'll wager that your monitor isn't perfect and that there is at least some light bleed even if it is minimal.

The bleed on my current u2713hm is tolerable and can only be seen if you really look for it, but it's still there and that annoys me. Especially as my old 2407wfp was perfect in this respect.

Ah well, at least there is no bright yellow blotch or dead pixels on this one :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom