• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

best CPU for gaming

Associate
2700x here as well.

Have my eyes peeled on this monitor https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...8rSdaBGLPyBLUcLm6hg45uxdoufWXSuM3aZ2-mSO7WR8A .

Anyways freesync vs gsync for a start if a company wants so and so monitor to have freesync it will be cheaper overall when compared to g sync you see so it pushes the price of the monitor up thanks to g sync.

I read that freesync would become the industry standard.

Dan.

Associate
2700x here as well.

Have my eyes peeled on this monitor https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...8rSdaBGLPyBLUcLm6hg45uxdoufWXSuM3aZ2-mSO7WR8A .

Anyways freesync vs gsync for a start if a company wants so and so monitor to have freesync it will be cheaper overall when compared to g sync you see so it pushes the price of the monitor up thanks to g sync.

I read that freesync would become the industry standard.

Dan.

GPU industry is dominated by Nvidia for now and thus they can charge a premium for GSync and don’t need to support freesync.

Really up to the competition to force their hand.

Associate
Despite this there are far more Free-Sync screens than there are G-Sync, OCUK have 23 G-Sync to 68 Free-Sync listed, AMD have 600 listed on their site.

Which makes sense as there is little cost overhead (if any) to adding freesync so there’s perceived consumer value whether today or potentially down the road.

G sync adds cost to the manufacturer and consumer so it’s best to limit it to speciality and higher end sets where the target audience is open to paying the premium.

Associate
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/processors/intel/core-i7

How come the i7 8700k is more expensive than the 9700k ? im going to go Intel route, but dont know whether to to i9 9900k or one of those i7 series, is there much difference between the 2 i7 cpus, it will only be for gaming, and internet browsing use, but i want a great cpu

I'd pick the 9900k and overclock it near or at 5ghz or over and you have a chip which stonks amd ryzen at the least and is a great cpu.

But zen 2 or 3 could topple that regarding the 9900k being surpassed in multi threaded performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
do you plan on upgrading soon ? or feel that your 6700k is doing what you need

My 6700k is plenty fast enough at 3440x1440 with my 1080 hybrid. I'm more likely going to upgrade my monitor and GPU in a few years before having to change my 6700k. I'll be waiting for am5 socket personally.

Caporegime
so if i wnt i7 9800, it could last me a good 2 years ?

There is no 9800, If you mean 9700k then yes and if you mean 9900k then yes. :)

The thing is people are saying wait for Zen 3 and thats fine...But once Zen 3 is out we will have new intel chips...and so the cycle continues....

Just buy the fastest for your budget now. And enjoy some gaming.

Associate
There is no 9800, If you mean 9700k then yes and if you mean 9900k then yes. :)

The thing is people are saying wait for Zen 3 and thats fine...But once Zen 3 is out we will have new intel chips...and so the cycle continues....

Just buy the fastest for your budget now. And enjoy some gaming.

Well, with new intel chips you have to fork out £££ every time for a new motherboard and thus the cycle does continue.

It ends up being rather expensive varying that is, if you keep buying new intel chips with a different motherboard socket all the time.

Roughly varying on what components during the 3 year life cycle of the am4 socket, saving something like roughly around about £150-250 during those 3 years by not buying a new motherboard by buying budget motherboards costing £50 which are low end motherboards, so yeah for every new chip amd releases you don't have to keep buying a new motherboard unlike intel, so if you was to do that then you will save money going the amd route.

But if you don't care about money and want the best i'd recommend intel.

As for me, i will be buying a ryzen 3000/zen 2 when it comes out then i will upgrade to zen 3 / ryzen 4000 and that is just me.

edit i did say that i was only interested in zen 3 in another thread or this one since i cannot remember but i could change my mind and upgrade and upgrade until am4 is dead.

I would be happy knowing i saved money going amd where an intel system would be a dead end socket anyways, so as for me i would compare the new chips with that outdated cpu/motherboard socket abandoned by intel, so in the future with zen 3 i would compare it to a 9900k, and not new intel chips and still be happy because i know i sold a processor like the 2700x to upgrade to a 3700x by using money from that sold processor as well as extra funds to buy the new processor which is 3700x.

Anyways i will always buy a decent high end motherboard for amd processors which would be only once for 3 years.

Anyhow it seems amd has the advantage over intel from what i have read about die size of the processor i think it is 7nm with zen 2.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, with new intel chips you have to fork out £££ every time for a new motherboard and thus the cycle does continue.

It ends up being rather expensive varying that is, if you keep buying new intel chips with a different motherboard socket all the time.

Roughly varying on what components during the 3 year life cycle of the am4 socket, saving something like roughly around about £150-250 during those 3 years by not buying a new motherboard by buying budget motherboards costing £50 which are low end motherboards, so yeah for every new chip amd releases you don't have to keep buying a new motherboard unlike intel, so if you was to do that then you will save money going the amd route.

But if you don't care about money and want the best i'd recommend intel.

As for me, i will be buying a ryzen 3000/zen 2 when it comes out then i will upgrade to zen 3 / ryzen 4000 and that is just me.

edit i did say that i was only interested in zen 3 in another thread or this one since i cannot remember but i could change my mind and upgrade and upgrade until am4 is dead.

I would be happy knowing i saved money going amd where an intel system would be a dead end socket anyways, so as for me i would compare the new chips with that outdated cpu/motherboard socket abandoned by intel, so in the future with zen 3 i would compare it to a 9900k, and not new intel chips and still be happy because i know i sold a processor like the 2700x to upgrade to a 3700x by using money from that sold processor as well as extra funds to buy the new processor which is 3700x.

Anyways i will always buy a decent high end motherboard for amd processors which would be only once for 3 years.

Anyhow it seems amd has the advantage over intel from what i have read about die size of the processor i think it is 7nm with zen 2.

Die shrinks doesn't always mean massive speed bumps in IPC you know.

AM4 will be around until 2020 but there will be a new chipset for Ryzen 3000 chips...yes you could use your old mobo but if you had z370 you could still use a 9900k in it with a bios flash.

There is always Value in older kit. I had my Dead socket 6700k for 3 years....Sold the chip , mobo and Ram for £400 and upgraded to 9900k for £617

You can always sell you 2700x but you will take a massive hit on it as there will be millions of people selling them to get a Ryzen 3000 chip so its swings and roundabouts.

I'm hoping Ryzen 3000 hits and crushes my 9900k and we get back to competitive hardware release again.

GFX hardware is boring with RTX and Nvidia monopoly. We need competition in the CPU space but also the GFX card space.

Associate
Die shrinks doesn't always mean massive speed bumps in IPC you know.

AM4 will be around until 2020 but there will be a new chipset for Ryzen 3000 chips...yes you could use your old mobo but if you had z370 you could still use a 9900k in it with a bios flash.

There is always Value in older kit. I had my Dead socket 6700k for 3 years....Sold the chip , mobo and Ram for £400 and upgraded to 9900k for £617

You can always sell you 2700x but you will take a massive hit on it as there will be millions of people selling them to get a Ryzen 3000 chip so its swings and roundabouts.

I'm hoping Ryzen 3000 hits and crushes my 9900k and we get back to competitive hardware release again.

GFX hardware is boring with RTX and Nvidia monopoly. We need competition in the CPU space but also the GFX card space.

Well if ryzen 3000 crushes the 9900k it really would be impressive to say the least and a processor that i would most certainly would want to upgrade too but if it is 10-20% faster i might not bother though over ryzen 2000.

Anyways the more i learn everyday.

Associate

Oh damn, that's good. It even has HDR for that price. The only negative could be that it's VA, but honestly that could be seen as a positive considering the QC issues with IPS panels over the past few years (plus theres 1ms response time with VA). I'm also not quite so fond of the curve, but that's a small price to pay for such good value. A similar G-Sync monitor would go for at least £1k it seems.

Back on the CPU topic, I'd wait till at least CES in a couple weeks time before making any major purchase decisions. If anything gets announced, then perhaps it's worth waiting for that new stuff. But if not either the 2700x or 9900k. 2700x with a newer mobo might be better for future-proofing if the 2019 Ryzens are backwards compatible with chipsets. That's a big IF.

I personally feel it's stupid to pay ~£500 for a good gaming CPU these days when just a few years ago that was ~£300 max.

Associate
OP
yea it seems no time ago, i payed around £400 it was, maybe less for a gtx 970 and that was with 2 free games and at that time it was a top drawer card, now look at the price of 1080 and 2080ti cards, its mad

Associate
Oh damn, that's good. It even has HDR for that price. The only negative could be that it's VA, but honestly that could be seen as a positive considering the QC issues with IPS panels over the past few years (plus theres 1ms response time with VA). I'm also not quite so fond of the curve, but that's a small price to pay for such good value. A similar G-Sync monitor would go for at least £1k it seems.

Back on the CPU topic, I'd wait till at least CES in a couple weeks time before making any major purchase decisions. If anything gets announced, then perhaps it's worth waiting for that new stuff. But if not either the 2700x or 9900k. 2700x with a newer mobo might be better for future-proofing if the 2019 Ryzens are backwards compatible with chipsets. That's a big IF.

I personally feel it's stupid to pay ~£500 for a good gaming CPU these days when just a few years ago that was ~£300 max.

Yeah going from 60hz to 144hz is a big difference i say and i know it is like night or day difference the motion clarity is way better.

So anyways i know Va panels have a advantage with contrast as far as i know.

The colours are better and am happy with this monitor, not cheap since it cost's 500 quid but worth it, bought this monitor from overclockers and had free delivery and using amazon pay so yeah, ordered it and then came next day and the postage was free.

Also i am planning to buy a vega 64 to use the freesync as at the moment i have a gtx 1070.

Dan.

Associate
Budget i could probably save a while longer and try and keep it at around £1000

I hope to use my existing corsair airflow 540 case and hand drives, monitor i think is 1080p iiyama

Thinking on waiting for ryzens new 3000 chips, should be out in a month right ?

current pc is i5 4690k, 16 gb ram, gtx 970

pc will be for gaming and browsing the web only, any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated if i should wait or go now, will the new amd lower intel prices ? thanks for any help
I have just upgraded from a i5 4670k to Ryzen 2600. Can now play Battlefield V on ultra instead of medium at 1080p at 75hz. Every now and then it will drop below 75 fps, but that is when freesync kicks in. Never drops below 60 FPS so I do not notice it.
As for buying a 9900k and RTX2080, if you are saying at 1080p then no point unless you are running 144hz or plan on going 4K I'm the next year or so.

Soldato
If it's specifically HIGH end you're after, there's no point in looking at the 2700x because that's a MID end CPU to compete with the i7. My advice is wait for the Ryzen R9 and compare it with the Intel i9.

Back
Top Bottom