• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

best CPU for gaming

Associate
GPU industry is dominated by Nvidia for now and thus they can charge a premium for GSync and don’t need to support freesync.

Really up to the competition to force their hand.
If as rumours are about, freesync becomes the standard, won't they have to adopt it?

Soldato
If it's specifically HIGH end you're after, there's no point in looking at the 2700x because that's a MID end CPU to compete with the i7. My advice is wait for the Ryzen R9 and compare it with the Intel i9.

Yeah, OK. Pretty sure that right now the 2700X is Ryzen's top chip, so it's high end. Also, it has 8 cores and 16 threads the same as the 9900K, so they are directly comparable as the high end. And once you do compare you'll see that the 2700X is more than capable of keeping up in gaming workloads. And half the price too.

And the only reasoning behind your advice to wait for the unconfirmed Ryzen 9 before comparing it to the 9900K is because you're some kind of Intel masochist just wanting to be hurt. If that 3850X is real then it is going to beat the living snot out of the 9900K and probably push a few Intel fanbois into a coma.

Soldato
The Ryzen 9 3850X with 16 cores and 32 threads, 4.3GHz base clock and 5.1GHz boost. The infomation may not be accurate but worth waiting a month or two to find out considering Subzero85 clearly has a big budget and he said he wants the 'best'.

The suggested spec list of the new Ryzen CPU's is looking good. This was my assumption in buying Ryzen 1, that the AM4 socket support over at least 3 versions of Ryzen means a simple enough upgrade at a later date for the CPU.

Associate
And the only reasoning behind your advice to wait for the unconfirmed Ryzen 9 before comparing it to the 9900K is because you're some kind of Intel masochist just wanting to be hurt.
It amazes me how some people have so much hate for AMD, usually the Intel/Nvidia fan boys. It is almost on par to the way some people support football clubs

Soldato
It amazes me how some people have so much hate for AMD, usually the Intel/Nvidia fan boys. It is almost on par to the way some people support football clubs

The majority seems to be the result of conditioning by Intel's marketing and positioning. You drop an Intel chip into the board, you plug your RAM in, whack your cooler and and away you go. You don't need to tweak anything if you don't want to. And Intel is always the best because it's pushed everywhere and ubiquitous. And as a result, Intel is the only thing that exists and whatever Intel push out is what we want, they are the market leaders and therefore are the market drivers. You pay whatever Intel want you to pay because there is no other option. And that's why we were stuck on 4 cores for a bazillion years with minimum improvements each generation and ever-climbing prices for the privilege.

AMD kit has always benefit from a bit of fiddling, and at stock there's always a little bit of performance missing. AMD kit has always tried to push the boat out - to mixed success - and try a few different things. However much of a shocker Bulldozer and its successors turned out to be, AMD tried a different approach with it, they got 8 cores to the mainstream a long time before Intel were forced to, they got 5GHz boost clock years ago, but you can't just "drop in and go" with AMD (even now with Ryzen) and it's seen as inferior as a result.

And because of all this, those who have been conditioned by the Intel way are totally blind to what AMD have done, can do and will do, and a lot of the time cannot be convinced of anything to the contrary. I have a morbid curiosity to what sort of Stockholm Syndrome tripe they'll come out with when the 3850X shows up and batters the snot out of the 9900K.

Associate
The majority seems to be the result of conditioning by Intel's marketing and positioning. You drop an Intel chip into the board, you plug your RAM in, whack your cooler and and away you go. You don't need to tweak anything if you don't want to. And Intel is always the best because it's pushed everywhere and ubiquitous. And as a result, Intel is the only thing that exists and whatever Intel push out is what we want, they are the market leaders and therefore are the market drivers. You pay whatever Intel want you to pay because there is no other option. And that's why we were stuck on 4 cores for a bazillion years with minimum improvements each generation and ever-climbing prices for the privilege.

AMD kit has always benefit from a bit of fiddling, and at stock there's always a little bit of performance missing. AMD kit has always tried to push the boat out - to mixed success - and try a few different things. However much of a shocker Bulldozer and its successors turned out to be, AMD tried a different approach with it, they got 8 cores to the mainstream a long time before Intel were forced to, they got 5GHz boost clock years ago, but you can't just "drop in and go" with AMD (even now with Ryzen) and it's seen as inferior as a result.

And because of all this, those who have been conditioned by the Intel way are totally blind to what AMD have done, can do and will do, and a lot of the time cannot be convinced of anything to the contrary. I have a morbid curiosity to what sort of Stockholm Syndrome tripe they'll come out with when the 3850X shows up and batters the snot out of the 9900K.
Agree to some extent, I dropped my ryzen in and have not fiddled with any settings (apart from setting the RAM speed and timings, took a whole 5 seconds).
Either choice will be fine.

I'm still gaming perfectly without a CPU bottleneck on a 4970 i7
I had the i5 4670k and have noticed an improvement in games with the ryzen.

Soldato
Yeah, OK. Pretty sure that right now the 2700X is Ryzen's top chip, so it's high end. Also, it has 8 cores and 16 threads the same as the 9900K, so they are directly comparable as the high end. And once you do compare you'll see that the 2700X is more than capable of keeping up in gaming workloads. And half the price too.
Subzero85 is already considering the i9-9900K and 2080ti so I doubt cost is an issue to him. He also asked for the "best". As much as it pains me to say it, the 2700X has a slightly lower IPC so it cant be called the best. I absolutelty refuse to recommend anything by Intel, hense my recomendation of the mythical 3850X but it will hopefully be announced by Lisa Su at CES on 9th January, 9:00am Pacific Time. The release date may not be for a few months but "good things come to those who wait" - Violet Fane, 1892.

Soldato
The 3850X will not be announced at CES. It's the 50th anniversary celebration and will require extensive binning to get the mega halo dies required. That puppy will be announced May 1st for AMD's 50th anniversary, launched end of May to coincide with X570's launch at Computex and in retail channels about a week later.

I'll put a fiver on it :p

Soldato
I absolutelty refuse to recommend anything by Intel

When it comes to gaming, you can't just consider raw power but also support. Take a look at the issues that Ryzen gamers are experiencing when using the HTC Vive's official wireless adapter with essentially zero hope of support on the horizon.

Given the current state of new games being released while riddled with bugs, the criteria for the best gaming CPU would definitely put Intel at the top.

Last edited:
Soldato
When it comes to gaming, you can't just consider raw power but also support. Take a look at the issues that Ryzen gamers are experiencing when using the HTC Vive's official wireless adapter with essentially zero hope of support on the horizon.

Given the current state of new games being released while riddled with bugs, the criteria for the best gaming CPU would definitely put Intel at the top.

Rubbish. Why should Intel get a free pass and be supported in fleecing its customers because HTC are incompetent? If HTC can't get the wireless connection working on Ryzen chipsets and won't offer support then buy a Rift instead. If new game releases are full of bugs on Ryzen then boycott the game until it is fixed. And if you're in the camp of "but but but I wanna play that game" or "but but but I wanna Vive" then I have no sympathy for your impatience and belligerence.

The only criteria which would put Intel on top is either ludicrously high FPS at 1080p or higher minimum frames at mid-tier resolutions like 1440p and 2K.

Soldato
Rubbish... HTC are incompetent... If HTC can't get the wireless connection working on Ryzen chipsets and won't offer support then buy a Rift instead... If new game releases are full of bugs on Ryzen then boycott the game until it is fixed... I have no sympathy for your impatience

That was one example and there are hundreds. When you have the ability to completely remove yourself from the path of being subject to this issue, that becomes a major component in deciding your gaming CPU.

Soldato
That was one example and there are hundreds.

You gave a specific example, I counter-commented. Care to share some of these "hundreds" of examples?

When you have the ability to completely remove yourself from the path of being subject to this issue, that becomes a major component in deciding your gaming CPU.

I'm not sure that attempt at Zen Mastery actually makes sense.

Caporegime
If you want the best then the 9900k.

Probably won't notice the performance between a 2700x and 9900k at 4k tho.

it depends on the games ! very important. check what games you mainly play . also factor in budget. if the new amd chips are 5ghz doubt it but we will see you will be paying for them they wont be 200 quid like many think they are. would be nice though :p

Caporegime
you cant say anything until they actually out. amd have dropped well below their expectations for 15 years now. the leaks mean zero. as much as we hate intel if they say they got a 5ghz chip you know realistically its possible. amd you know mainly its a dream.

Soldato
When you have the ability to completely remove yourself from the path of being subject to this issue, that becomes a major component in deciding your gaming CPU.

I'm not sure that attempt at Zen Mastery actually makes sense.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that a gamer using an Intel CPU would be just as likely to encounter bugs in new games and new technology than a gamer using an AMD CPU? If so, there's literally zero point continuing this exchange and you can continue blaming everyone else.

I can only imagine the resentment and hatred in your comments towards devs emanate from your own experiences with your very own AMD CPU. Reveals a lot more than you realize.

Rubbish... HTC are incompetent... If HTC can't get the wireless connection working on Ryzen chipsets and won't offer support then buy a Rift instead... If new game releases are full of bugs on Ryzen then boycott the game until it is fixed... I have no sympathy for your impatience

You said it! While you're waiting, I'll be gaming.

Back
Top Bottom