Best nas for media storage.!

Associate
Hi there I'm planning to buy either a 3 Bay or 4 Bay nas drive to use in a raid 5 to use with my media storage, i plan to put my collection of dvd and blu ray on it...... I'm planning to use a vero 4k media player to use with my home cinema....... What's the best to use.? I don't really need powerful transcoding capabilities as I'll be playing converted mkv files.?
Thanks for any advice

Soldato
What's the budget first off all?
Do you already have data drives to go in the NAS? or does the budget have to include new drives?

QNAP gets my vote - but Synology also get recommended. I paid ~£500 for a 2 Bay QNAP with 2x 4TB drives, but that was back at the beginning of 2017.

Associate
What about a refurbished HP SFF system, or something like that, that way you have more control over the software, and hardware. You can pick up something with a i5 3470, 8GB RAM, for £80ish.

Soldato
I'm also in the same boat as my main 2011 WC PC has some 18TB of data on it and I need to downsize the machine, thus the data has to go elsewhere whilst the existing hds will be used for as a backup.

My main PC ha massive (corsair 880d) and I need to minimise its footprint in order to make space due to family planning etc.

I've been looking at a QNAP TS-673, which is a 6 bay AMD powered beastie. Still deciding on the HD config but I'd be using Raid 5 so I need a min of 3x HD's. This'll give me room for future expansion I figure...

I am told that Plex via Plex Pass doesn't utilise AMD hardware transcoding just yet but shall do in future. I believe this is only for select Intel cpus at the moment.

Soldato
I am told that Plex via Plex Pass doesn't utilise AMD hardware transcoding just yet but shall do in future. I believe this is only for select Intel cpus at the moment.

AMD GPU’s and iGPU’s can transcode, but they are really, really inefficient at it compared to intel/Nvidia. Also Raid5 is something you probably don’t want to do, have a look at unraid and a self build, you can use an ITX or MATX case to keep size down, have ongoing support and the ability to grow as your needs change.

Soldato
AMD GPU’s and iGPU’s can transcode, but they are really, really inefficient at it compared to intel/Nvidia. Also Raid5 is something you probably don’t want to do, have a look at unraid and a self build, you can use an ITX or MATX case to keep size down, have ongoing support and the ability to grow as your needs change.
I had considered Unraid and going the DIY route but I just haven't the time to faff about with builds at this point in my life tbh, hence downgrading this existing PC as it is otherwise this i7 2600k would have made an ideal starting point for Unraid.

Soldato
I had considered Unraid and going the DIY route but I just haven't the time to faff about with builds at this point in my life tbh, hence downgrading this existing PC as it is otherwise this i7 2600k would have made an ideal starting point for Unraid.

Seems like a shame - even if you purchased pre-built server you could do a lot better for the money and literally spend 5 minutes installing the OS.

Associate
OP
I'm also in the same boat as my main 2011 WC PC has some 18TB of data on it and I need to downsize the machine, thus the data has to go elsewhere whilst the existing hds will be used for as a backup.

My main PC ha massive (corsair 880d) and I need to minimise its footprint in order to make space due to family planning etc.

I've been looking at a QNAP TS-673, which is a 6 bay AMD powered beastie. Still deciding on the HD config but I'd be using Raid 5 so I need a min of 3x HD's. This'll give me room for future expansion I figure...

I was thinking of a qnap ts-673 as thought I'd have plenty of room to expand and useing at least 3 drives as need to rip 250+ or so blu rays.... Will be useing plex but also want to use the vero 4k box too..... I'm new to this game so lots to learn....
I'm thinking of useing a raid 5, don't want to lose all that data after ripping 250+discs.

Soldato
I'm thinking of useing a raid 5, don't want to lose all that data after ripping 250+discs.

That's what a backup is for. RAID is just redundancy so you have some wriggle room for if a disk goes down, please never think of it as a secure means.

If you are building a server to hold your data on (RAID5) you still need a backup of that data.

Associate
Why do people always buy the biggest drives they can and then decide to RAID5 them?
Get smaller drives and 0+1 them.
Better read and write performance, better rebuild time in the event of a disk failure and less chance of critical failure due to read error during a rebuild.

Associate
OP
Why do people always buy the biggest drives they can and then decide to RAID5 them?
Get smaller drives and 0+1 them.
Better read and write performance, better rebuild time in the event of a disk failure and less chance of critical failure due to read error during a rebuild.
That seems a good idea thanks for that i reckon I've got approx 7tb of movies so i could do with double that to allow for expansion, so if i had say 2x7tb in a raid 0 then suppose I'd need the same again in another raid0 for backup.?

Soldato
That seems a good idea thanks for that i reckon I've got approx 7tb of movies so i could do with double that to allow for expansion, so if i had say 2x7tb in a raid 0 then suppose I'd need the same again in another raid0 for backup.?

The RAID obsession is killing me. Why not a 14TB disk to store your data on and another 14TB disk to back up to? Half the components, half the power usage, half the heat, half the risk of a component dying.

Back
Top Bottom