Best savings account?

I just got the account and only get 5.08% as i requested monthly interest.
Also just got one and opted for the monthly interest.

When I plugged the figures into the Compound Interest calculator the interest after 12 months worked out the same between compounding monthly at 5.08% or yearly at 5.2%.

You've either got very cheap rent or such large savings I'm surprised you're renting!
both LOL!

im just waiting for a crash, or not... my intention for years has been to make sure i can have a VERY good deposit. i ended up locking in a large amount of cash into a halifax 4.0% for 12 months in dec 22 , thankfully not long left, but the amount in this account alone is doing 2/3 of my rent alone.

halifax 4.5% reg saver
2 x club lloyds savers
natwest 6.0% ? saver
newcastle BS 4.5% saver
santander 4.0 % saver

just opened the santan 5.2% today and moving over whats in the newcastle bs over to it

Last edited:
both LOL!

im just waiting for a crash, or not... my intention for years has been to make sure i can have a VERY good deposit. i ended up locking in a large amount of cash into a halifax 4.0% for 12 months in dec 22 , thankfully not long left, but the amount in this account alone is doing 2/3 of my rent alone.

halifax 4.5% reg saver
2 x club lloyds savers
natwest 6.0% ? saver
newcastle BS 4.5% saver
santander 4.0 % saver

just opened the santan 5.2% today and moving over whats in the newcastle bs over to it

That's nuts though. House prices may have dropped a bit, but they're not going to crash through the floor. Even taking into account the market dropping our house has increased in value by nearly 25% in 4 years. You'd never see that sort of returns from savings.

Im struggling to pick an ISA account which gives a decent high interest and no penalty for withdrawals, seems a lot of them if you withdraw you have a 90 day interest pentaly or 60 day etc or some 180 day penalty

Can anyone recommend something for the moment which is around 4.8% to 5.5% or something which pays monthly interest and had no penalty ?

That's kinda the point of them though. Can't have your cake and eat it. If you want easy access then you need to sacrifice on the rate a bit.

I just got the account and only get 5.08% as i requested monthly interest.

Also just got one and opted for the monthly interest.

When I plugged the figures into the Compound Interest calculator the interest after 12 months worked out the same between compounding monthly at 5.08% or yearly at 5.2%.
Yeah it's just not stated anywhere if the 5.08 is the aer or gross, it says both which isn't how compounding interest works

Just got the Santander account open email with a key facts document attached which states:

What is the interest
rate?

£1 to £250,000

If interest is paid annually:

5.20% AER/gross (variable)
for 12 months from account
opening

If interest is paid monthly:

5.08% AER/gross (variable)
for 12 months from account
opening

{ We work out the interest we’ll pay on your account each day.
{ You can choose whether you want us to pay interest monthly or yearly into your account.
Once you’ve chosen, you can’t change your mind. We’ll pay the interest on the monthly or
yearly anniversary of the day you opened the account.
{ We don’t pay interest on balances above £250,000.
-----

Just in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Im struggling to pick an ISA account which gives a decent high interest and no penalty for withdrawals, seems a lot of them if you withdraw you have a 90 day interest pentaly or 60 day etc or some 180 day penalty

Can anyone recommend something for the moment which is around 4.8% to 5.5% or something which pays monthly interest and had no penalty ?

Absolutely garbage.
Stuck mine in premium bonds.
Decided to basically gamble with the interest

Is it even worth me moving from Tandem to Santander?

I only switched to Tandem last month on the 13/14.
Or wait it out and see if anyone else will be doing better rates soon?

Why not, will take ages for the crappy tandem app to withdraw your money anyway

Reactions: Sho
Plus anything over the interest savings allowance is taxable
oh ye for sure im paying tax on my savings, but i cant get out of that, when i did some bitcoin / alt mining, i always just sold for either cash directly with a buyer or bought things at places that accepted BTC, that way i was " off grid " as i never went through exchanges. This time i have no say in the matter as i think HMRC just adjust my tax code to suit the amount ill have to pay in tax

Last edited:

Apply fast if you want the Santander account, it can sell out. Plus it ends on the 17th anyway.

Absolutely garbage.
Stuck mine in premium bonds.
Decided to basically gamble with the interest
To be fair ISAs were never really designed to be an easy access option and the rules to allow early withdrawals were only implemented with significant interest loss penalties. They are still the best risk-free option with a guaranteed rate of return (~5%) which avoids further tax liabilities _if_ you are able to leave the investment in-place for the bond duration.

e: bon = bond

Last edited:
To be fair ISAs were never really designed to be an easy access option and the rules to allow early withdrawals were only implemented with significant interest loss penalties. They are still the best risk-free option with a guaranteed rate of return (~5%) which avoids further tax liabilities _if_ you are able to leave the investment in-place for the bond duration.

e: bon = bond

Unfortunately for me I am planning a big spend next year so unable to lock away with any significant money. Shame as rates are so good for bonds.

Back
Top Bottom