Best savings account?

Guess they may have messed up, you’re only supposed to be able to get one. And unless you have over 250k to put in you don't need more than one anyway. :D
I’m sure once they realise their mistake they’ll sort it out. :)

I’ll leave it a few days before putting my savings across in case one of them disappears.

Monzo are messing things up.

Their regular savings pot is going up to 4.5% but they're killing the 1% rate that was paid each month (for balances up to £2000) for money in regular pots.

I have money in various pots for different purposes that guaranteed me that 1% each month and I use the regular savings pot for my monthly float. My usage isn't going to change and that extra 0.5% won't cover what they're taking away.

Disappointing.

I set up the Santander one last week, they somehow have set me up with whole new login details, even though I applied while logged in to my normal account, so now I have 2 ID numbers.

The old login details still work and I haven't received the temp sec number for the new account to see what's there when I log in.

Currently using chip, already have current account with Santander, only took few mins to open easy access saver did it through the app

Last edited:
I just got the account and only get 5.08% as i requested monthly interest.

Also just got one and opted for the monthly interest.

When I plugged the figures into the Compound Interest calculator the interest after 12 months worked out the same between compounding monthly at 5.08% or yearly at 5.2%.

I'm confused. Why are they different? I selected monthly as well. All I saw was 5.2% mentioned and assumed monthly would be better. EDIT. Did it in a rush without thinking hard to beat the deadline as I'm out later.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Why are they different? I selected monthly as well. All I saw was 5.2% mentioned and assumed monthly would be better. EDIT. Did it in a rush without thinking hard to beat the deadline as I'm out later.
I'd assume that 5.08% monthly works out the same as 5.2% annually due to compounding interest.

Correct. If the interest is paid back into the savings it should still be 5.2% effective. If you have the interest paid out to your current account it will be 5.08% (I think).

Just played with excel £1200 deposit left in there for a year and I'm getting:
Annual @ 5.2% = £62.4000 interest
Monthly @ 5.08% = £62.3995 interest

Just played with excel £1200 deposit left in there for a year and I'm getting:
Annual @ 5.2% = £62.4000 interest
Monthly @ 5.08% = £62.3995 interest
You sure?
9y1LSLi.png

and the formulas:
eGJbFyv.png

So 5.08% per year / 0.4233% etc. per month. And the crucial part is the to the power part in E.
Actually I think Excel has financial formulas to calculate these things without the in between steps but this is clearer IMO.

EDIT: apologies for not reading your post correctly, all those decimals threw me:
£62.4000
and
£62.3995
are of course as close as to make no real difference!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom