Best savings account?

You have to pay tax on the interest of the easy access saver don't you?

Yes. I've opened one. But need to be careful to not Go Over 500 a year interest

It basically matches my. Regular saver for 5.25 so I'll use this instead.

I need to money in April. So this is ideal to come along now.

Last edited:
My wife is a basic rate tax payer and I am higher rate. I've opened the joint santander account being talked about here. How does the split work in this scenario for interest earning threshold before tax?
If we both were higher rate I would assume the account could earn £500 x 2 = £1000 interest a year max before tax. But since I am higher and she is lower how does it work? Is it simply £1000 + £500 = £1500 ?

Last edited:
My wife is a basic rate tax payer and I am higher rate. I've opened the joint santander account being talked about here. How does the split work in this scenario for interest earning threshold before tax?
If we both were higher rate I would assume the account could earn £500 x 2 = £1000 interest a year max before tax. But since I am higher and she is lower how does it work? Is it simply £1000 + £500 = £1500 ?

Looks like you're liable on 50% of the interest which is then taxed based on your individual circumstances.

So if the account earns £1002 in interest you'd pay interest on the £1 of your £501 share and she wouldn't.

Edit: Clearer wording here https://taxscouts.com/the-tax-basics/tax-on-interest-from-joint-accounts/

Last edited:

Looks like you're liable on 50% of the interest which is then taxed based on your individual circumstances.

So if the account earns £1002 in interest you'd pay interest on the £1 of your £501 share and she wouldn't.

Edit: Clearer wording here https://taxscouts.com/the-tax-basics/tax-on-interest-from-joint-accounts/

What a ball ache.
Better to stick to two accounts.

I knew doing a joint one would add complexity and trip me up. Should have just done it all in the Mrs Name. It also says:

What if we don’t want to split the interest 50-50?
You need to prove that you use a different split (for example, one partner put more money in, etc.)

Call HMRC at:

If you live in the UK: 0300 200 3300
If you live abroad: +44 135 535 9022

Which sounds fun, dealing with HMRC. Basically prove that the Mrs put all the money into the account, which came from her current account, which will come from one of my accounts anyway. So yeah I can "prove" she made the final deposit into the account but meh....faff.

I think we will just use the joint one for quite literally every day saver duties and then take out a higher rate fixed one in her name for a longer term store. In any case, we're only just going to be coming close to worrying about paying any tax on interest gains anyway, if at all.

I knew doing a joint one would add complexity and trip me up. Should have just done it all in the Mrs Name. It also says:

Which sounds fun, dealing with HMRC. Basically prove that the Mrs put all the money into the account, which came from her current account, which will come from one of my accounts anyway. So yeah I can "prove" she made the final deposit into the account but meh....faff.

I think we will just use the joint one for quite literally every day saver duties and then take out a higher rate fixed one in her name for a longer term store. In any case, we're only just going to be coming close to worrying about paying any tax on interest gains anyway, if at all.

I find it really annoying. If you are under 500 you can just say "under 500".
But damn current account has been paying little bits of interest each month.
I'm pretty sure I'm OK. But I do have to be careful as if I do go over it will be a right pain to deal with.

I think I'll hit 470 interest this tax year

Last edited:
I find it really annoying. If you are under 500 you can just say "under 500".
But damn current account has been paying little bits of interest each month.
I'm pretty sure I'm OK. But I do have to be careful as if I do go over it will be a right pain to deal with.

I think I'll hit 470 interest this tax year
Will it be? Unless you do SA I thought HMRC just adjust your tax code based on the information they receive from your bank(s). Will apply to my wife this year for sure as the majority of our savings are in her name, so I hope it's this easy.

Back
Top Bottom