Best savings account?

Soldato
Bah, doesn't look like there's any decent easy access, monthly interest ISAs to transfer my 3.98% Paragon ISA to. Might just keep it there, open a new ISA and start transferring savings across from Chase seeing as there's a few that are easily beating Chase's 4.1%

Soldato
Bah, doesn't look like there's any decent easy access, monthly interest ISAs to transfer my 3.98% Paragon ISA to. Might just keep it there, open a new ISA and start transferring savings across from Chase seeing as there's a few that are easily beating Chase's 4.1%
CHIP easy access ISA is 5.1%
Their regular saver is 4.84%

Soldato
I got a 7% regular savers, 250 max per month.
Normal savers at 5.15% variable
2 years fixed term isa at 4.25%
Online isa at 2.65% variable, with hardly anything in it, just keeping it open in case I need to move cash into an isa from another place.

All with the co-op..

Caporegime
Ok, the post office is a joke.

First, it took far too long to get to speak to somebody compared to Barclays or Halifax or Amex.

Second, when I eventually got to speak to somebody. I told them the reason I am calling is because when I signed up last night, I didn't get the Login ID written down and didn't receive an email, and ask if they can resend the email.

Her reply "We can't resend the email, what is your login ID?"

I couldn't help myself and literally laughed! "that's why I am calling"

Then I failed security ???...and she asked me to either call back to try again or write in.

Sod it, I will let the account closed in a month. So much friction to try to give them money. A system that require a telephone call to get login details is so last century too...they ask me to write in...

Last edited:
Associate
How much money are people making from stocks and shares Isa ? I assume.is not like a monthly interest thing but if markets are good you can make money out of.

Ie if I was to put 10k in to a S&S ISA where would I be in 6 or 12 months?

Can you save it along side your existing cash ISA? Or will it contribute towards the limit I have with the cash ISA ?
Stocks and shares ISA is no different from investing on stocks and shares, you can profit you can lose. 6 months ago everyone and their mother would have told you to buy Tesla shares cause they are on a roll. but since the start of 2024 they are down 30% and they just announced 14K job losses. That's not to pick on Tesla, that's just an example of how the stock market works. The only different in an ISA is if you should pick well, there is no capital gains tax on any profits.

Soldato
My 2 accounts with Nationwide mature in November 2024...

Regular Saver - 8% (max £200/month)
ISA - 4.25% (no limit going into it upto ISA limits)

Currently doing £200/£50 into these accounts each month. Calculators show I should get £103/£14 (£117) total from the 2 accounts. Not huge amounts but free money

Soldato
Ie if I was to put 10k in to a S&S ISA where would I be in 6 or 12 months?
Nobody can tell you that. S&S is not for the short term IMO>that is called gambling. Long term it will outperform cash though. (the market as a whole that is, if you pick individual stocks then anything can happen) Stick to index trackers, long term you literally cant lose unless the world burns down and in that scenario it doesn't matter anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This year I'm using 2 new ones.

6.25pc lloyds at 40pppm regular saver
T212 at 5.2pc on cash variable rate isa
And a 3 year fixed bond at 4.75pc - kind of regret this. Didn't think rates would be this high for so long. Could do with access.

Usually I have 3 (another regular saver) but this year I'm using premium bonds as a trial.
I will be exiting that soon as it hasn't been worth it.
But was worth a try/gamble

Last edited:
Associate
Just opened the zopa 5.08% instant cash ISA and transferred in all funds from a previous years ISA that was earning 3.2%.. I like the fact it's flexible.

Assuming this goes well, will transfer in another cash ISA that was at 4.9% to consolidate to one place.

Soldato
*Applies for top account thats states online. Go through pages of application, says you need smartphone*. Hmm. Don't currently have a smartphone. *Looks elsewhere*
Ok, the post office is a joke.

First, it took far too long to get to speak to somebody compared to Barclays or Halifax or Amex.

Second, when I eventually got to speak to somebody. I told them the reason I am calling is because when I signed up last night, I didn't get the Login ID written down and didn't receive an email, and ask if they can resend the email.

Her reply "We can't resend the email, what is your login ID?"

I couldn't help myself and literally laughed! "that's why I am calling"

Then I failed security ???...and she asked me to either call back to try again or write in.

Sod it, I will let the account closed in a month. So much friction to try to give them money. A system that require a telephone call to get login details is so last century too...they ask me to write in...
Heh I noticed the Post Office has dropped off the MSE recommended list even the link doesn't exist anymore

Last edited:
Associate
6 months ago everyone and their mother would have told you to buy Tesla shares cause they are on a roll. but since the start of 2024 they are down 30% and they just announced 14K job losses.
I wouldn't have told anyone to buy Tesla shares 6 months ago. The average person shouldn't be picking any individual stocks in a S&S ISA, that's just gambling. Stick to global index funds.

Soldato
Those that opened Post Office savings accounts, am i right in assuming you can only deposit money from the 'linked' bank account you added during the application? I did try to transfer from a savings account (not the 'linked' account) and the monies got 'bounced' back.

Similarly, did anyone receive any emails or guff posted to them from the Post Office when opening the account?
I opened their 5% account over the weekend, so maybe they're just slow, but i haven't heard diddling squat from the PO regarding opening the account, not even a welcome email - just seems a bit odd :confused:

Chase has 5.1% until November in their Boosted Account.
Discussed it a few pages back; it's not available to everyone unfortunately.

Soldato
I find it of note that a few years ago you couldn’t get any sort of instant access cash isa now there’s at least a couple with decent rates.
Anyhow yeah, Zopa and chip for me, I also have virgin money I fixed last year, so getting over 5% for the most part.
Long live the current interest rates.

Soldato
Stocks and shares ISA is no different from investing on stocks and shares, you can profit you can lose. 6 months ago everyone and their mother would have told you to buy Tesla shares cause they are on a roll. but since the start of 2024 they are down 30% and they just announced 14K job losses. That's not to pick on Tesla, that's just an example of how the stock market works. The only different in an ISA is if you should pick well, there is no capital gains tax on any profits.
Ok, so you need to pick a portfolio, and hope it does well

Man of Honour
That's why generally people don't invest in individual companies when it comes to S&S ISA, and invest in index funds instead.

Back
Top Bottom