Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a set of 525 Deores. Just upgraded the front rotor to 180mm and had my first attempts at bleeding hydro discs. All manner of crud came out of the back brake - feel has improved but they could still do with a bit more bite so will have another look. Very reliable and hassle free otherwise - changing pads is easy.

Have you tried changing the reach of the lever?

Bah.. Im having bad luck. Managed to body check a tree full pelt on the back wheel on Sunday.. Hurt like hell, managed today and not im just in agony.. Hurts like hell and its swollen loads. Just glad i aint broke it as i got two more races left this season and Cardiff Downtown race...

Bah.. Im having bad luck. Managed to body check a tree full pelt on the back wheel on Sunday.. Hurt like hell, managed today and not im just in agony.. Hurts like hell and its swollen loads. Just glad i aint broke it as i got two more races left this season and Cardiff Downtown race...

Was this with or without full body armour? :p

I got to ride a demo Heckler at Coed y Brenin at the weekend. The first proper full sus bike I've ever ridden and it felt GOOD. Couldn't feel any bob (I sit down up most climbs) and it was so much more comfortable than my hardtail. Only problem is that I now want one and I don't have £2500 to spend on a new bike! :(

Out of interest - which is generally accepted as the best: VPP, 4-bar rocker or single pivot?

Last edited:
I got to ride a demo Heckler at Coed y Brenin at the weekend. The first proper full sus bike I've ever ridden and it felt GOOD. Couldn't feel any bob (I sit down up most climbs) and it was so much more comfortable than my hardtail. Only problem is that I now want one and I don't have £2500 to spend on a new bike! :(

Out of interest - which is generally accepted as the best: VPP, 4-bar rocker or single pivot?

hahah caught the bug have we now?

Tbh they all feel so different. Like from what i hear DW link and VPP are the best for pedalling and general feel. I like the feel of FSR as its damn plush but i havent ridden any other bikes well enough to say what i would recomend.

Tupac could tell you the difference between his FSR bighit and his single pivot 223 though.

Aight I'm looking to buy a new bike - but want a single speed, however there isn't anything decent that comes as single speed, so i'm getting a geared one, selling the gear gubbins off and converting it. Whats the best way to convert a bike with vertical dropouts to ss? The only decent option i've seen is buying a singleator but it still isn't perfect, if only they made stretchy chains!

Ive only really ridden single pivot and vpp bike for any length of time and fsr briefly. Out of those 3 i personally would say vpp it much better. I used to own an orange patriot with 5" travel and currently own a santa cruz v10 with 10" :p the v10 pedals as good if not better than the patriot did :)

I cant really comment too much on fsr as ive only ridden a friends big hit briefly which was obviously set up for him, but he weighs more than me and my v10 still pedalled better even though his shock had too much preload on for me

I've got up to a grand to spend on a full-suss trails/singletrack bike. I'm assuming that it's best to stick with 2006/7 models as good savings can be had, but who are the main players in the market that I should be looking at?

So far I've only really looked at the Trek Fuel EX range - what other brands/models should I be investigating?

I used to ride on a very regular basis (daily to work and every weekend out) but have neglected things for many years. Feel the need to get fit and get out there so want something half-decent.

Last edited:
Thanks, Raymond. Are there any particular models within the ranges that are suitable for my purposes? It's been a long time since I had a head for bikes and it's all very confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom