Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried the Enduro SL and it rides great; its light (well under 30lbs), strong, and for the cost comes kitted with a decent spec list. I've tried a single pivot Orange Patriot and under braking I felt it didn't have the control of the 4 bar FSR on the Specialized.

You get used to that, a single pivot bike isn't as 'efficient' as a 4 bar when pedaling or braking etc. But it also has some advantages in other areas, climbing is one as when you climb on a single pivot bike it tends to tighten up the rear end and means that bobbing is reduced and platform damping (pro pedal) isnt required as much. I have an orange 5 and I went through various bike demos before settling on it. I couldn't stand the active feel of the other bikes, I preferred the more taught feel of a single pivot.

Its down to preference and what kind of terrain riding you'll be doing really though isn't it.

Specialized FSR XC Comp – XC Bike

Z1425B_BIG.jpg

Im really liking the look of this bike, decent spec too.

Just have to keep saying that I dont 'really' need a new bike atm and should wait for the new year :p

Im really liking the look of this bike, decent spec too.
Just have to keep saying that I dont 'really' need a new bike atm and should wait for the new year :p

It's the bike I have :)
If you buy now then you should be able to find one for £900 (RRP £1100), otherwise it's £1100 for a new 2008 XC FSR Expert (similar spec)

I broke from the only riding when it's sunny thing yesterday and went out in the pouring rain! It was great fun :D Though i doubt it'll be as much fun when it's -5c and raining!

It did bring up one problem though, which is that i really don't have any wet weather gear. What would you suggest i get for this? :)

I found that this morning that my hands were bloody freezing. Pooring rain too. Only have some very thin, Specialized summer gloves. Need something that a little warmer and waterproof if I can get some decent ones.

Any suggestions?

I found that this morning that my hands were bloody freezing. Pooring rain too. Only have some very thin, Specialized summer gloves. Need something that a little warmer and waterproof if I can get some decent ones.

Any suggestions?

I've got a pair of SealSkinz windproof gloves for winter use.

What I find with them I can start a ride in them but my hands get too warm quite quickly hence I take a pair of Spesh' summer gloves to swap to.

Complete change of plan from my earlier questions about a full-suss bike: I've found my old bike hidden away in the loft (I could have sworn I sold it...) and I'm going to get that up and running again. Maybe at a later date I'll swap to a different frame but for now this should see me right.

It's a Trek Bruiser frame (16.5") with Marzocchi Bomber Z1 BAM forks (the bright orange ones) and a mixture of other bits from various bikes I'd had in years gone by. I'm going to need to swap the single chainring out for a triple and I'll possibly need a new set of wheels while I'm at it as I can only find the front one!

So, recommendations for a chainset, front mech and shifter if you please. It's got an ancient XTR rear mech and XT shifter so I was thinking about getting some new XT stuff - good choice?

As for wheels, should I need them, anything in particular I ought to look out for? Nothing too heavy but nothing too flimsy either would be ideal.

I've just ordered myself a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disk Hyd 2007 I live in the countryside with plenty of wooded areas and lot's of hills. I've read that the forks and the pedals on the bike are a bit naff. Now bearing in mind i shan't be doing mad jumps, etc, etc, will the stock setup do me for the time being? Or will i need to spend some pennies straight away?

I'm basically looking to get fit and have fun at the same time, so hopefully i haven't made too bad a choice. It was £329 delivered btw.

The Hardrock sport has the Hayes Solo hydraulic brakes, which are ok. Not the best by far. I have them on my Dawes. They perform well when new, but you do need to maintain them often to keep them performing good. I havnt blead mine since I got the bike, 12 months ago and its showing. The front does'nt work at all. Back one is ok but could do with bleeding. I found myself having to change the pads sooner than I thought too. Its not a huge job though and does'nt cost loads.

The Hardrock Pro has Avid BB-5 mechanical disc brakes, cant really comment on these as I hav'nt used them but I guess with them being Avid they would be decent for a mechanical disc brake.

Both forks have 100mm travel, thats about it but cant say which one would be best as I dont know tbh.

Chainset, shifters and gears with them all being Shimano components on the Hardrock Pro I would have said they are better.

Overall, depending on how the Avid mechanical disc brakes are on the Hardrock Pro 08, I would go for that.

If i remember correctly the BB5 is one of or if not the best mechanical disk brake on the marker,espescially when combined with avid levers!

That's what im sure i read/heard.

yeh the BB5's are very capable brakes. The 5-7's are some of the best cable discs you can have will compete easily with some low end hydro's like juicy 3's. I went from BB5's to juicy 5's and on that note anyone know why my back disc would start squeeking?? has not done it before just started today and wont stop had the wheel of multiple times and re-alighned still no silence!!

Well there we have it, off the man in the know ;)

Got a little question for you Jonny, since the middle of the last week Ive noticed that my front wheel in making a slight crunching, sweeking noise. I think its from the hub, im not certain though. It makes the noise when Im riding along flat ground. Im thinking it could be the spokes or the bearings? Ive done a quick check of the spokes, none of them feel that loose.

yeh the BB5's are very capable brakes. The 5-7's are some of the best cable discs you can have will compete easily with some low end hydro's like juicy 3's. I went from BB5's to juicy 5's and on that note anyone know why my back disc would start squeeking?? has not done it before just started today and wont stop had the wheel of multiple times and re-alighned still no silence!!

Is the disc clean and the pads? Any water on there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom