Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
On a recent camping trip to Wales. Had a great time!

me_wales.jpg
Definitely looks like a 6/7" trailbike and fullface piece of dirtroad :p

Associate
Bike I built with second hand parts off ebay.

Bike's a bit dirty after coming back from the trail. It's my first proper ride, had a few arguments with some trees and fell off many times, but it was all fun:p

I had some advice from the more experienced riders I went with and they said I probably want a wider handlebar and some SPD pedals. Probably going to get a wider handlebar first as I'm still a bit worried about the idea of being clipped in. The bar I currently have on the bike is 590mm wide. How wide should I go? I'm planning to do general XC stuff in the future. Also, what make handlebars should I go for if I have a budget of around £20?

Associate
I had some advice from the more experienced riders I went with and they said I probably want a wider handlebar and some SPD pedals. Probably going to get a wider handlebar first as I'm still a bit worried about the idea of being clipped in. The bar I currently have on the bike is 590mm wide. How wide should I go? I'm planning to do general XC stuff in the future. Also, what make handlebars should I go for if I have a budget of around £20?

hello all, ok my first post so please be kind if i mess up.

I'm new to the world of MTB and I'm mainly doing XC stuff, having had one big fall and made a good mess of my face, due to foot slipping off a wet peddle. I decided to invest in some shimano 540 spd. I found them to be really good, it didn't take for me long to get use to clipping in and out. Also they seem to naturally unclip, when you need to get a foot down quick. spds are ultimately a personal thing if you like them or not imho.

I have two questions.

1, my chain today started to slip when going up hill or fast while using the smaller cogs on the cassette (sorry i don't know the technical term). do i need a new chain, adjust the rear deraillleur. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. I'm looking to upgrade my shocks from RST Gila TnL lockout to some thing around the £300 mark. I have been looking at the Rock Shox Revelation 426 u-turn or the dual air. Any recommendations?

oh as this is the bike pic thread, it's not much but it does me proud.

bike.jpg

Soldato
1. if it's cable stretch you could try playing with the barrell adjusters on the shifter lever pods. turn cw to move the mech out and ccw for in, i think.
2. rockshox reba race (or team) with poplock, light dual air durable fork.

oh and welcome :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
some slightly better pictures of my Glory Frame....

glory1.jpg

glory2.jpg

glory3.jpg

glory4.jpg

Rear wheel has been built, a Mavic 729 on a Hope Pro 2. Ordered Race Face Evolve DH Crankset so should be in tomorrow. Going to build it up on the weekend!

Permabanned
Thats what I thought. I love the colour scheme, but it doesn't appear to have much travel. EDIT- scrub that. :) What fork and groupset will you equip it with? How much does the frame alone weigh?

Cant remember the weight off the top of my head...
Spec will be:
Fox 40's
Hope Pro 2 Hubs Front and Rear
Mavic 729's Front and Rear
Hope Mono M4 Brakes with Floating Rotors
Race Face Evolve DH Crankset (X-Type BB)
DMR V8 Pedals
FSA HandleBars
Sunline V1 Stem
XT Rear Mech
XT Shifter
Sram Cassette and Chain
E13 Chain Device
Maxxis Super Tacky 2.5 DH Tyres

Got pretty much all the above on my Orange 222 at the moment.. so a case of swapping it all over..

Permabanned
This is where im at now... Stripped the threads when removing my cranks from my 222 so gotta beat them off so i can get my E13 off it. Gotta get a white goodridge rear hose, then fit my raceface cranks to the bad boy... oh and find a seat post lol. All in all coming together nicely. Finding the front end high as hell... but will have to make adjustments. what you guys think?

glory5.jpg

glory6.jpg

glory7.jpg

glory8.jpg

Soldato
Very nice mate!

Front end of my bighit looks way high but it aint bad once you take sag into consideration.

Why you running V8s? I since got my mx30s and they rule......no black paint to fall off :D (took a mighta chunk out of the metal thinking i was racing a motorbike).

I purchases 2 high roller 2.5s for my bike,42a front and 60a rear. Dropping it off this weekend for 2 goodridge hoses and a new rear rim to be built. Gonna leave the bearings and attempt that myself.

Associate
hello all again that Giant looks sweet.

I found the problem with chain slipping was a damaged link removed it, all was good for a few days but another is doing the same and a few other links are starting to show similar signs of damage.

I can't keep removing links so a new chain is in order do i need to replace the cassette as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom