Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Looking to buy myself a Marin urban bike

Marin - Point Reyes £899

As i am 6`7 what size frame & wheel ? anybody can give me any advice where to buy from online

Frame 6061 Aluminum, Triple Butted Hydro-Edge Top and Down Tubes, Double Butted 4-Side Seat and Chain Stays, Disc Specific
Fork RFE Carbon 1 1/8”
Rear Shock N/A
Headset TH-857, 1 1/8”, Threadless, Alloy
Rear Hub Shimano, 32 Hole Disc with Locking QR
Front Hub Shimano 32 Hole Disc with Locking QR
Spokes DT 14 Gauge Black Stainless
Rims Mavic XM-317, 32 Hole Disc
Tyres Continental Sport Contact, 26” x 1.6” with Safety System
Shift Levers Shimano Deore, 2 Way Release, 9 Speed
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Rear Derailleur Shimano XT
Cassette Shimano, 12-25, 9 Speed
Chain Shimano HG53
Crankset TruVativ Firex C3.1 Trekking, 48/36/26 with Alloy Outer Chainring, Chain Guard, and Giga X Pipe External BB System
Bottom Bracket TruVativ with Giga X Pipe Exterior System Integrated with Crankset
Seatpost Comp Alloy Micro Adjust, 27.2mm x 350mm
Saddle WTB Speed V Street Smart XL with Love Channel and Comfort Zone
Bar Double Butted 6061 Alloy, OS-31.8mm, 25.4mm Rise
Stem Marin OS Alloy Threadless, with 31.8mm Bar Clamp
Grips WTB Street Smart with Drop Guard End Plugs
Brakes Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc
Brakes Rear Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic Disc
Brake Levers Avid Hydraulic Disc
Pedals BMX Platform

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're 6'7" you probably need an XXL/23" frame.

I had a fantastic ride today, pictures coming later.

edit: A teaser:
IMG_0851.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
As i am 6`7 what size frame & wheel ? anybody can give me any advice where to buy from online

I always advise people to ride a bike first for as much time/distance as the retailer will permit so that they can get an impression of the bikes fit suitability. Given your a un-commonly tall guy, I think its even more important that you test ride any bikes your interested in.

As far as fit go's, the only factors that immediately matter are the seat tube height, the top tube length and the stem length and inclination. Together they define not only how high above the cranks you are (this is important as an incorrect position could cause harm to your knees) but also how you reach to the handle bars. You don't want to be too stretched out or squashed up as it will detract from your enjoyment of riding and possibly lead to neck and back problems.

I don't know enough about mountain bike components to comment on that Marin. Check the wheels of what ever you look at it. They ought to have atleast 32 spokes for a larger chap like yourself. Perhaps 36 min. If some one knowledgeable on wheels could chime in here... :)

Last edited:
Associate
Far too few proper bikes in this thread, hopefully this'll raise the average:

Trek 1K SL, carbon ITM stem, carbon bontranger race x lite handlebars, forks and seatpost, Tiagra double chainset, Look 247 clipless pedals and specialized armadillo tyres, never ever had a puncture.

Middle-of-the-range but light and reliable.

2205538563_f8132f8795.jpg

Taken up on harefield hill (10mi north of Uxbridge, London) this morning, wet, windy and muddy. Lovely.

Soldato
Far too few proper bikes in this thread, hopefully this'll raise the average:

Trek 1K SL, carbon ITM stem, carbon bontranger race x lite handlebars, forks and seatpost, Tiagra double chainset, Look 247 clipless pedals and specialized armadillo tyres, never ever had a puncture.

Middle-of-the-range but light and reliable.

2205538563_f8132f8795.jpg

Taken up on harefield hill (10mi north of Uxbridge, London) this morning, wet, windy and muddy. Lovely.

Thats a nice bike how much was it?

Associate
You're not wrong. And compared to track slicks they're a bit like riding an MTB with silly knobbly tyres on.

However they are good if you don't want to get caught out miles from home with a flat. Also for a hard wearing tyre I don't really notice a lack of comfort. The ride is a little harsh but not as bad as I thought that they might be.

Last edited:
Associate
If I do get a puncture with these I might try the Spesh All Condition Pro tyre, which are supposed to be just as good but a better ride and grip.

What do you ride, Dougal?

Associate
I ride on the armadillos, continental gatorskins( which are really pretty good commuting tyres) and some Michelin pro's. Never really had a problem with any of them on either of my bikes but I do find that the gatorskins side-walls do wear out pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom