Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
i'm just under 5'9" and a 32" leg and run a 17" malt4 so i would guess a 20" would be a size too big for you, ideally you'd want a 16"-18" but if you can try it out, try to have a few inches between the top tube and your nuts when just standing over the bike.
Depends on the riding, use the given size for XC etc and drop a size for stuff like freeride and DH (so I'm a 32", and would use a 20" for XC and 18" for DH) :).

Associate
Its a On One Inbred but the only size they have left is 20" its that or go for the 29er.

I currently ride a 19" GT and its about right for me.

Not sure what to do.

Soldato
Guys im looking at a new bike and the only one left is a 20" frame. Now im 5' 8' would this be to big ?

I did find this

Being a 32 inside leg would this bike be the correct size ?
Not sure where you found that table?

But if you're 5'8" on normal sizing you're probably a small or medium depending on bike fit. A 20 would probably be far too big, I'm 6'2" and a 20" is the size of frame I'd normally go for in an XC bike.

Soldato
I'm 6'3 and I started out on a 22" frame. Not surprisingly on downhill sections I was forever coming off. I'm now on an 18" frame and it's so much more nimble it's untrue. Small frames aren't always a bad thing - just get the saddle up. :) That's what i found anyway :)

Man of Honour
How many people on here run clipless? Ive just ordered a cheap set of pedals and pair of shoes off crc just to give it a go for around town and some trails

Associate
Im getting a flat bar road bike for commuting to work, rainy day fitness rides and once in a blue moon touring trips. Assumming approx. 6000 miles of use per year, would the M424's do the business for me?

I have some Look keo pedals which I might be able to salvage from my wrecked road bike but long term, I want to avoid having two pairs of shoes with me or face the alternative of walking like a duck all the time.

Soldato
nah, they're not light, for road bikes it's best to get Road SPDs (and they don't do caged road clipless afaik) personally, I'd do the two shoes thing, but you can get some fairly comfortable SPD shoes :).

Associate
Im not too worried about weight. The bike is 25 pounds, it will have a rack and full wrap mud guards on it, plus a panier bag or two with a few contents within that. What concerns me is robustness, service life, serviceability and cost. High, high, high and low respectively. :)

They need not be a hybrid platform / spd type however as this bike won't be used for trips to the shops type scenarios where I might just grab a pair of ordinary shoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom