Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my saints ordered today from glasgow cycles......£135 and I'm going up to a 38t chainring. Kinda skint now.

Gonna get my bearings done for £15 and sort the headset and generally clean the bike up :D

200 nots wont get much good, if you can get £300-400 you can get a decent bike that will last you a while.

I've just bought some of this

pvremovers.jpg

New pictures of my 222 coming soon :P

Heres how the frame looks now. but i dont think that really worked, so gona try something else.

DSC00256.jpg

Last edited:
:D My bike bits are filtering through now, can't wait to get it built!

Spec so far:

Orange Patriot 7+ with 5th element rear shock
Rock Shocks Boxxer World Cups
XT mechs and shifters
SRAM cassette
Hone chain rings
Saint cranks w/ hollowtech 2 BB
Mavic EX729 Rims on Hope Pro2 Front and Hope XC rear
Maxxis High Roller super tacky tyres
WTB saddle
Easton EA50 Stem
Answer Pro Taper bars
Magnum V12 magnesium flat pedals
Avid Juicy 5 discs, 203mm front 180mm rear

Will get pictures up when it's built :D Can't wait. How does the spec look for my first forey into serious biking? Will be used for general free riding and a bit of downhill, and i'm just gonna see how i get on with the forks, considering a swap for some decent single crowns like 66's though.

Tom.

EDIT forgot to mention i'm quite a big athletic guy so ive gone for strength rather than lightness in some places :p I'm 6'4 and 17 stone.

Last edited:
i think what your trying to say 6th element is that changers have to match cassettes but everything else is interchangable
Don't confuse the child!

MTB bits that can be mixed:

Cassette, front/rear mechs, chain, chainrings

MTB bits that cannot be mixed:

Shifters must be the same as REAR mech*

*exception: SRAM Attack shifters are for shimano rear mechs.

Cassettes, chains and mechs are all interchangable without problems as long as they're the same speed and we're not talking Campagnolo.

Let me simplify this statement for those who found it too complex. Cassettes, chains and derailleurs are interchangeable generally without issue as long as they're for the same speed and we're not including Campagnolo in the mix. I did not mention shifters.

Last edited:
Don't confuse the child!

MTB bits that can be mixed:

Cassette, front/rear mechs, chain, chainrings

MTB bits that cannot be mixed:

Shifters must be the same as REAR mech*

*exception: SRAM Attack shifters are for shimano rear mechs.

i didnt think a shimano shifter would work with a sram front mech either? as sram are 1:1 and shimano 1:2? or is that JUST rears? If you're right you've saved me £20 as ive got a sram X7 mech here that came with the frame, but was going to replace it with XT as i have xt shifters!

Cassettes + chains - sram and shimano interchangable as long as they are the same speed/

Rear mechs - interchanagle with any chain+cassete of the same speed(different width of chain and distance between cogs on cassetes) but must be matched with the correct shifters. Shimano = 2:1 and sram = 1:1. Sram make shifters(with names rather than X7/X9, attack i think they are called) that work on shimano mechs.

Front mechs are all interchangable as they all haev the same 1:1 ratio.

I ran a sram chain on all my old shimano cassettes. Shimano chains are a pain in the arse if it snaps out on a trail(pins are sort of butted at the ends) and sram seem to last a lot longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom