Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no! Must resist the temptation! I like the look of the Avalanche 1.0, is there much difference between this years and last years model?

Also does anyone have any experience with the linked company?
2008 model

Frame tubing GT Triple Triangle design 6061 butted aluminium with new hydroformed downtube, zero stack headtube. Disc compatible with removable der. Hanger
Fork SR X-100, 100mm of travel w/. 32mm alum stanchions, magnesium lowers, with lock, preload and hydraulic damping
Crankset Shimano 44/34/22 nine speed Octalink compatible
Brakes Tektro Auriga comp, dual piston hydraulic cold forged
Tyres Kenda Nevegal, 26 x 2.1
Handlebar GT Mtn Riser, 6061 heat treated, 31.8 mm clamp
Seat Post Alloy Micro adjust
Saddle WTB Speed V
Bottom Bracket Shimano Octalink Cartridge Sealed
Pedals Wellgo M-21 flat
Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX Lo- Normal
Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
Shifters Shimano Deore 9 speed separate
Rear Cogs SRAM Nine speed index cassette 12-32
Chain Shimano HG-53 Nine Speed
Spokes Stainless steel 14 gauge
Nipples Brass CP
Stem GT ATB, threadless 25 degree rise with four bolt alum CNC face plate for 31.8mm
Grips GT Dual Density ATB
Headset Tange system for 1 1/8"
Seat Clamp Gt Quick Release

I was going to compare 2007 to 2008 but the specs are a lot different it seems and I don't know enoough yet to comment!

I'm currently using the company linked so will tell you how it goes, so far I'm impressed!

Advice - I was bleeding the rear break as had to take the lever apart to thread the tubing through the frame holes, rather than using cable ties. the oil from the rear went on to the brake pads. after cleaning with water the brakes Screeeeech and dont work. is there a way to "uncontaminate" them without buying new pads?

Sand the pads down just enough to get the oil off. Job done. ;)

Thanks for the advice, i used nail poish remover in the end and it worked a treat. Thanks again. What do you think of the single speed. heh not much to say about it tbh :)
I went for a 6mile ride today on road, couldnt do anything more challenging than that in my state. Seemed alright even uphills.

Respect for trying out singlespeed. :) Really nice.

Got my new Heckler tonight:

EDIT: New pics

heckler_08_04.jpg

heckler_08_01.jpg

heckler_08_02.jpg

heckler_08_03.jpg

heckler_08_05.jpg

A couple of changes yet. I have borrowed V12's and Spesh rear tyre. V12 Mags and Kenda Nevagal to come yet. Also rotors will be swapped out for floating rotors. I ended up getting an XT Shadow Rear mech instead of XTR shadow

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, i used nail poish remover in the end and it worked a treat. Thanks again. What do you think of the single speed. heh not much to say about it tbh :)
I went for a 6mile ride today on road, couldnt do anything more challenging than that in my state. Seemed alright even uphills.

Its an on-one what more is there to say :D id love to know how you get on at some trails with the singlespeed im positive im not fit enough to ride some without gears!

Advice - I was bleeding the rear break as had to take the lever apart to thread the tubing through the frame holes, rather than using cable ties. the oil from the rear went on to the brake pads. after cleaning with water the brakes Screeeeech and dont work. is there a way to "uncontaminate" them without buying new pads?

I sprayed mine with brake cleaner, lit them on fire for a couple of seconds (around 20) then scuffed them up with light sand paper. work mint and no squeels

Respect for trying out singlespeed. :) Really nice.

Got my new Heckler tonight:

A couple of changes yet. I have borrowed V12's and Spesh rear tyre. V12 Mags and Kenda Nevagal to come yet. Also rotors will be swapped out for floating rotors. I ended up getting an XT Shadow Rear mech instead of XTR shadow

And...sorry for the camera phone pics :o

Lovely bike mate. One of the guys posted a description of the ride quality of the Heckler on the MTBR forums and it's exacly how I feel about this bike... Most rides you feel as if you are 'on top' of the bike, the SC Heckler somehow you fell you are 'in the bike' - it's incredibly true.

Ah haaaa, I just noticed you have a Heckler too. :D
My 03 Heckler started off similar to yours at around 28lbs. Float RL rear shock, budget parts to keep the cost down. It ended up at around 33lbs, probably much the same as this one.

The problem with Air shocks on the Heckler is that if you do any drops/jumps, it blows through the travel. The Float would ramp up on jumps. I ended up upgrading to a DHX coil and it transformed how the bike handled. I recommend a coil shock when your budget allows. ;)

I had the Evolve XC chainset too. Bearings lasted 3 months, but I did ride a heck of a lot in all sorts of weather.

There's also a camp site farm with camping barn, kitchen and showers less than a mile up the road from the visitor centre. Could make it a 3 day weekend and stay there, it's only £10pp a night.

yeah I'd be up for that! Would be better for those who may have to travel further as well as that leaves an entire day for biking :)

Also can't go wrong for a tenner a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom