Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice downhill session this morning, perfect prep for my XC race tomorrow :D

IMG_1342s.jpg

dsc00095dd4.jpg

:D

Just been down and up the big hill to the chippy on it (Picked it up this morning, didn't get a chance on it, as I had to go to work ¬_¬).

Now I've been used to pretty basic bikes for my life, so this thing is a hell of a step up... it weighs like a third of what my old bike did! And has 6 more gears!

Point being, coming back up the hill was sooooo easy compared to my old bike, suspension's great from what little I've used it.

But mainly, I can't get over how light it is! Taking out for a proper ride tomorrow, up on the common, should be great 8)

Cheers for the advice on this a while back, fellas, it's excellent!

I took a nasty tumble yesterday, riding in Gisburn forest. Me and my riding buddy were riding down a fast dh with a few jumps on it. I hit the first (after some practice, I'm rubbish at jumping) and the fourth, but the fifth and final one sent me crashing. I hit it ok, but my front end just bombed and threw me over the bars onto my head. Fortunately I got away with being winded and just a few scratches thanks to the elbow and knee pads I was wearing, but I really ache from it today.

Lesson of the day: The helmet saved my life.

Now I just need a new brake lever :rolleyes:

I took a nasty tumble yesterday, riding in Gisburn forest. Me and my riding buddy were riding down a fast dh with a few jumps on it. I hit the first (after some practice, I'm rubbish at jumping) and the fourth, but the fifth and final one sent me crashing. I hit it ok, but my front end just bombed and threw me over the bars onto my head. Fortunately I got away with being winded and just a few scratches thanks to the elbow and knee pads I was wearing, but I really ache from it today.

Lesson of the day: The helmet saved my life.

Now I just need a new brake lever :rolleyes:

Have you ever been to Wiswell woods? its not too fair from Gisburn and if you like downhill riding then you would like it :)

I ride there quite a bit as its the best place for downhill thats local for me

Just got back from a weekend at Coed y Brenin - We did the Breast Trail on Saturday and another trail 20mins drive away (http://www.dyfimountainbiking.org.uk/climachx.html) on Sunday. The decent at the end of it is the best I've ever done.

I had my biggest crash on Saturday; fell into and scraped along the side of a rocky ledge at about 20mph and quite badly cut the whole left side of my body. I was okay to carrying on riding though after a recovery break. Luckily I took all the damage and my bike didn’t get a scratch :) Think I'll buy some armour in future for those type of trails.

They do make some OK budget bikes. The Banshee is a solid full sus. Heavy, but solid. I think at the bottom end of the price bracket there are better brands, that will give you a better frame/forks to work with.

They are all fairly reliable,the vulcan is a bit too cheap though! Left had cranks keep falling off left right and centre though,and the banshee X has a problem with a bad badge of 55s :( Think this will be sorted soon.

I carry the same as weescott - tyre levers, spare tube and alan keys, but also a small puncture repair kit as a back up to the spare tube. I would carry two tubes but the saddle pack doesn't have the space.

Through tradition I also carry with me a box spanner and an old multi spanner that came free with all Raleigh bikes about 20 - 30 years ago. Anybody else still have one?

I only carry one water bottle in the cage as that does me for most rides.

just interested in what others carry.
Currently i carry a spare tube, mobile and couple of credit cards.
Been looking at the multi tools from topeak, park and Lezyne. The leyzne multi tool looks good.

Oh yeh forgot my faithful chaintool if a chain decides to snap!

Anybody familiar with hope hubs? Took my cassette off today and my freehub came off....pawls on the floor etc. Got it back together but found it strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom