Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Nice frame :)

Just bought an E13 DRS for my Trek Remedy 8, any tips for the conversion from 3x10 to 2x10 :)

Got the tools but no clue on what to do.

I am assuming you have an external bearing bottom bracket and shimano hollowtech crank. (spindle is attacthed to the left crank arm on raceface)

Take chain off
Take pedals off
Undo 2 allen bolts on left crank arm
Undo the preload cap on the left crank arm
Get a rubber mallet and knock the spindle out of the BB
Undo hex/torx bolts on middle and big chainring.
Take off big chainring, and replace with bashguard
Take off BB
Look how many spacers are on the BB and replace one with the backplate
Fasten the backplate to the ISCG points
Clean, regrease and secure the BB
Clean and regrease the spindle
Put right crank back on
Put left crank arm back on (make sure its lined up correctly)
Tighten the preload cap
Test for any play in the cranks and bearings and make sure they spin ok
Tighten the allen bolts on left crank arm
Clean and lube Chain, put it back on
Check chain tension (might need to remove links)
Clean and lube pedal threads, Put Pedals on
Adjust limit screw on front derailleur

Sure there is a bette rguide on the web somewhere, but thats the steps I have in my head.

Man of Honour
You really don't like Orange do you?!

Nope and they seem to have reclaimed parts off the titanic for there next DH bike :D

20110311-p1ctcbngx6ay41af6xfrp9je6k.jpg

By all means choose a bike based on looks, me i choose ones i like to ride.

Have you demo'd and MDE 69 then?

Soldato
Yes, at Bringewood. Nice ride, i also like the Pusher but thats virtually the same spec as what i have at the minute all though higher quality.

Man of Honour
Yes, at Bringewood. Nice ride, i also like the Pusher but thats virtually the same spec as what i have at the minute all though higher quality.

If you have demo'd them and you are not interested in looks then surely you should go for which ever feels the best for you.

I dont reckon many people on here will have ridden a MDE including myself so our opinions are only based on reviews or whether it appears on the Dirt 100 which it doesn't :p

The Makulu, 951 & 224 have all appeared on it though :D

Soldato
One of the things im not sure on yet is how long the frame will last, the Orange 224 is bomb proof, the MDE to me felt better but i dont know what there like at lasting a few years. Although they come with a good warrenty.

I still have a few frames i fancy trying, the Iron Horse sunday is supposed to be pretty good.

Soldato
About £2200 tops, could go a bit higher but just takes longer to save. Its still going to be about 6 months, but i like to get an idea of whats out there well in advance. There are just way too many out there and i cant try them all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
About £2200 tops, could go a bit higher but just takes longer to save. Its still going to be about 6 months, but i like to get an idea of whats out there well in advance. There are just way too many out there and i cant try them all.

Good budget and 6 months time, just get out there demoing :D

Try and get a go on a Mondraker Summum.

Soldato
I think i will have to make do with trying some at shops as well. The MDE guy met me at a trail and we went for an hour long ride. There custom setups really draws me in as well, choosing the head angle myself and the steerer size.

Soldato
Hi there, I'm considering chucking in making my commute by car as its starting to cost what I consider to be rather silly money. I spend around £100 on petrol a month, and then another £70 just to park my car. This will obviously increase as petrol costs continue to skyrocket!

I was just after a recommendation for a decent bike to commute on, the commute is about 5.5 miles each way, mostly country roads, with a small amount of town riding. Ideally I wouldn't want to spend much more than about £600.

I also wanted to ask if anyone else here commutes to work by bike? If so how do you find it?

I am very fit already and often run the 5.5 miles home from work, and usually cover about 30 miles a week. I'm slightly worried though as I work in an office, which unfortunately has no showers. So while I'm sure I wouldn't be drenched in sweat, I might smell a bit funky?! I would be able to get changed while at work but no shower. Does anybody else do this here?

Thanks for any help!

Soldato
I am very fit already and often run the 5.5 miles home from work, and usually cover about 30 miles a week. I'm slightly worried though as I work in an office, which unfortunately has no showers. So while I'm sure I wouldn't be drenched in sweat, I might smell a bit funky?! I would be able to get changed while at work but no shower. Does anybody else do this here?

Thanks for any help!

mitchum + dont rush + merino base layer + baby wipes = sweat free commute

Soldato
That's for a double ring, high clamp, bottom swing...What model are you trying to replace?

Yeah I know, I run a double and bash.

It's for a different frame (Transition Covert) than my current (direct-mount) FD on my Enduro SL.

I think I've realised I need this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28028

Which is low clamp (I now realise - I think, what this means) as my frame requires it.

Still a bit confused about the chainline spec though?

Soldato
Ok installed the DRS today but run into some issues,

When changing gears, the granny ring and largest back are fine, granny + smallest the chain rubs against the derailleur chainstay, middle front gear and largest + smallest/largest back rub against the chain stay.

Ive attempted to adjust the high/low limits but they only seem to help one way and not the other. ie I can stop the granny ring rub but then the middle ring goes mental.

front derailleur is an SLX 10 speed one afaik.

also when i switch to the middle gear I have to swift to what would have been the largest ring in order for the chain to move correctly anything i can do to sort this ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom