*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
Diet over. End of June to start of November with a 2 week break in the middle. Not the biggest deficit or fastest rate of loss I’ve subjected myself too but I wanted to take this one a bit easier.

Weight lost = 8.1kg

Decrease in measurements =
Chest: 7cm
2” above navel: 11cm
Navel: 11cm
2” below navel: 8cm
Widest part of hips: 8cm

Pretty happy with the look as far as abs back, veins… not the leanest I’ve ever been but 2020/21 left me starting at the highest bf I’d been at in a long time plus being semi-detained over the lockdowns. Decent base to maintain weight from for a bit before I start actively gaining weight slowly again.

Also happy none of my lifts really died a horrible death - only real thing that suffered was pressing, e.g. bench working weights went down 2.5kg but had to move it 7cm further so not surprising. Looking forward to feeling strong again vs just clinging on to numbers. :cry:

Caporegime
Diet over. End of June to start of November with a 2 week break in the middle. Not the biggest deficit or fastest rate of loss I’ve subjected myself too but I wanted to take this one a bit easier.

Weight lost = 8.1kg

Decrease in measurements =
Chest: 7cm
2” above navel: 11cm
Navel: 11cm
2” below navel: 8cm
Widest part of hips: 8cm

Pretty happy with the look as far as abs back, veins… not the leanest I’ve ever been but 2020/21 left me starting at the highest bf I’d been at in a long time plus being semi-detained over the lockdowns. Decent base to maintain weight from for a bit before I start actively gaining weight slowly again.

Also happy none of my lifts really died a horrible death - only real thing that suffered was pressing, e.g. bench working weights went down 2.5kg but had to move it 7cm further so not surprising. Looking forward to feeling strong again vs just clinging on to numbers. :cry:

2.5kg loss is nothing tbh on a big lift like bench. I'm sure you will gain that back within a month. personally i've changed tact and in future will be going for more reps rather than more weight. i find going really heavy too stressful and just leads to more injuries over time. once i'm up to a crazy number of reps then i'll look to increase weight.

Soldato
I know that’s why I’m not bothered about it. Would be unrealistic to expect zero degradation on a diet.

Never had an issues benching heavy. The only injuries I’ve ever had lifting are turning a bad crick in my neck from sleeping funny into a full blown tear of a neck muscle overhead pressing because I was too dumb to rest it which was years ago, and some mild elbow tendinitis from isolation work, which I fixed by taking the time to execute the exercises properly with appropriate loads and paying attention to lines of force matching joint angles (and doing some grip/forearm work - ho ho).

Soldato
Weight loss was going well back in July combined with calorie tracking, skipping and running, then early August had some shoulder/arm/rib pain develop. Had a few doctors appointments and went through the motions of being told to take paracetomal/ibuprofen, 'it'll go away in a few weeks', then 6 weeks later being put on a 3 month wait for a physio referral and Naproxen which made me so sick I had to stop two days later.

Same day I stopped the Naproxen I paid for a private Osteopath who quickly found the issue (nerve compression, desk posture issue and sleeping position) and has been getting me back to full health over the last 6/7 weeks along with intense manipulations and daily mobility work.

Sort of back to normal but in a catch 22 that work is so hectic, have barely a moment to focus on exercise to just sticking with basic calorie tracking until things die down in the new year.

The daily allowance of 1700 cals makes me sad but aiming for half a kilo loss per week based on lowest activity level and my height/weight.

Soldato
It’s these digital weighing scales and you can download the free app that works with it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YFS6GXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well my scales started to malfunction and I contacted Renpho in China. They requested I send a video of the issue then they’d send a replacement or refund me.

So I uploaded a video to YouTube and sent them a link to it after which they informed me they could only refund me. Amazon are responsible for fulfilling orders in the UK.

So I’ll have a refund in 3 to 5 days and in the meantime I’ve ordered another one, this time I’ve gone for the USB rechargeable version rather then the AAA battery version I had originally.

Man of Honour
Fasting. It's actually healthy for you too. That is the fastest and easiest method. I have fastest the longest time for with water and supplements only (vitamins and electrolytes) zero calories for 3 days then broke it on the fourth then fasted again for 3 straight days.

I have also fasted for 3 days on another occasion then started a vegetable juice diet for 2 more days to make it a liquid only fast for 5 days where no calories were consumed on the first 3 days.

To keep it off requires a long term change. There is no point in you getting the weight off going back to old habits and then putting it back on because people who do that tend to put more weight on than before they started. So you are going to end up fatter again if you don't make permanent changes to your diet and physical activity.

You can have a 6 pack through diet alone but a good diet coupled with a good physical routine will keep you healthy. This doesn't mean you need to do hours and hours per day. I'd say 30 mins of intense cardio is enough daily. If it's not intense then you want to do 1-2 hours daily.

That's the major problem. Most folk are sat behind desks 9-5. Sat behind the wheel of a car for an hour or two or on a train and then sat on a couch when home. Humans even as little as 100 years ago would walk for hours on end every day. They didn't have cars or public transport.

Wrong. Muscles weigh more than fat yes. But muscles also consume more energy than fat. So someone who has a large muscle mass consumes more calories by sitting still compared to someone the same weight with less muscle mass. There is a difference between fat loss and weight loss. Most people mean fat loss when they say weight loss.

Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's wrong or again dieting to lose weight is apparently for the lazy is what you said last time. Which was lolworthy and again you have a false idea of how muscle mass works to keep fat low.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/screw-cardio-four-complexes-for-a-shredded-physique

Used that link and did 2 of 4 of those (barbell and dumbbell), three sets each at the gym yesterday.

Feeling it now.

Will definitely be keeping them in though, thanks.

Caporegime
Used that link and did 2 of 4 of those (barbell and dumbbell), three sets each at the gym yesterday.

Feeling it now.

Will definitely be keeping them in though, thanks.

Those complexes routine IMO is the best form of exercise. Building strength, stability, core and cardio at the same time in a small time frame. It's an all round routine and perfect for anyone at any stage. You just use smaller or bigger weight. Start small though it's brutal cardio if done properly.

The idea of pedalling a bike for 4 hours per day isn't appealing and doesn't build majority of the core strength if any. I do like cycling and running but those do nothing for muscle mass or strength or your core other than posture.

CrossFit is based on the same concept but usually requires a lot more space and equipment.

One of the complexes just requires a weight plate for instance gripped at each end with both hands. That could be any size plate for any level. It's intensity is the focus not using the largest weight possible and going slow like traditional weight lifting.

Man of Honour
Those complexes routine IMO is the best form of exercise. Building strength, stability, core and cardio at the same time in a small time frame. It's an all round routine and perfect for anyone at any stage. You just use smaller or bigger weight. Start small though it's brutal cardio if done properly.

The idea of pedalling a bike for 4 hours per day isn't appealing and doesn't build majority of the core strength if any. I do like cycling and running but those do nothing for muscle mass or strength or your core other than posture.

CrossFit is based on the same concept but usually requires a lot more space and equipment.

One of the complexes just requires a weight plate for instance gripped at each end with both hands. That could be any size plate for any level. It's intensity is the focus not using the largest weight possible and going slow like traditional weight lifting.

Did the barbell set with en empty bar (20kg) for three sets. Then added two 5kg plates, but struggled to do shoulder press and only managed three reps. After that I just did the routine up to shoulder press and rested then one more part set.

The dumbbell routine I used two 10kgs and that was reasonably comfortable, so probably up it to 12kgs dumbbells next time and see how I go.

Never been a fan of traditional cardio, particularly at the gym on a treadmill or exercise bike. Plus at 52 years old, I believe, resistance training is far more beneficial to me than jogging or cycling.

Caporegime
Did the barbell set with en empty bar (20kg) for three sets. Then added two 5kg plates, but struggled to do shoulder press and only managed three reps. After that I just did the routine up to shoulder press and rested then one more part set.

The dumbbell routine I used two 10kgs and that was reasonably comfortable, so probably up it to 12kgs dumbbells next time and see how I go.

Never been a fan of traditional cardio, particularly at the gym on a treadmill or exercise bike. Plus at 52 years old, I believe, resistance training is far more beneficial to me than jogging or cycling.

Since your just starting this out probably best to try and get the intensity nailed down before moving up a weight. You can modify the number of reps if need be or shorten length of breaks. You are free to do what suits you. Trying to move up weight is just one solution to the problem of plateauing and one most tend to focus on because bigger is better but not necessarily. You want to build cardio and strength equally for a well rounded balance. Focusing on one is never healthy.

Like a lot of marathon runners and hypermilers bones and knees are shot later on in life. Balance is key. Plus I don't have the time to cycle 4 hours per day I have a life too. This type of routine keeps your calorie burn rate higher for longer too as the aftermath hits you and your body has to repair everything stronger. But you don't want to overdo that too much either. Balance is key. There is no steady rule for anyone other than consume less calories than you burn to get leaner.

Glad someone got some use out of that link I've been using it for a long time now. It's been in my bookmarks bar forever near the top.

Caporegime
Coming up to the end of my first week on Huel only and it's going amazingly well. I thought I would have packed up by now but I'm managing to stick to it pretty easily. Rotating through ten different flavour shakes and five different flavour meals is probably helping because of the variety. I reckon getting to Christmas is quite achieveable. Only doing a weekly weigh-in now so don't know what I've dropped until Monday but I can feel my bloated belly shrinking already.

Soldato
Well there's the issue with changing scales!

Mine have been going through batteries at a mental rate, and i recently saw the Xiaomi Composition Scales 2 on offer at Amazon for £16. I liked the idea of it just always loading to my phone more than the extra info.

Weighed myself this morning and my old scales said 98.9kg and the new ones say 101kg. That's a 2kg increase for doing nothing :(

Also annoying is that the new scales synced to my phone perfectly on a test on Saturday but not this morning, so need to try and work that out.

Soldato
Be careful with those type of scales as they are very commonly calibrated incorrectly. You can get on it after turning on and be 2kg heavier than if you wait a minute and then get on it again. Best thing to do is get a known weight and put it on it to see which is the correct calibration.

Soldato
Be careful with those type of scales as they are very commonly calibrated incorrectly. You can get on it after turning on and be 2kg heavier than if you wait a minute and then get on it again. Best thing to do is get a known weight and put it on it to see which is the correct calibration.

Hmmm cheers, i'll have a look into calibrating it. I'm not too bothered about pure accuracy, if it always reads 2kg high then at least i can see trends, bit concerning it could be different at different times though.

The gym has one of those old school scales with the ruler style measurement, so might use that to get a better idea.

EDIT - Seems part of the issue can be when moving the scales which is exactly what i did. Will mess around with it later on.

EDIT2 - I also imagine it will now read badly, because i've just eaten my weight in slightly stale bread and cheese!

Soldato
Well seems like i've had good progress this week. Down from 101 on Saturday to 98.4kg today with the same scales (considered pulling out the old scales to see if they showed around 97kg but couldn't be bothered)

Have been hammering the exercise the last 2 weeks which is really starting to show, especially in my fitness. With activity every day since last Monday (although 3x rest days were only ~250Kcal burned). Tomorrow should be a long bike ride of around 3-4 hours and then Sunday i'm debating heading up to the Lake District if i have the energy.

Soldato
This is where I ended up btw, semi-relaxed front/back. Should probably have taken before pics. :rolleyes:

Got leaner than this before but started out with more body fat than I’d had in quite some time so it’ll do. Next time I diet I won’t have let myself go so much so maybe I’ll see if I can look like a human road map again. Maintaining weight till December then I’ll start seeing if I can ‘fail’ at weight loss and let it creep back up again (this time with proper training, unlike during lockdown…).

933928-AF-D82-D-4581-83-A1-6-BF6-EC133-DC7.jpg

Soldato
Man this has not turned into a good night. I’ve been great this week with food and exercise and been forcing food at 10pm to avoid being 700-800kg under my target of 1500 a day once exercise was added on top.

Today though has turned to absolute rubbish and currently at 3000 over for the day after pizza, chocolate and wine!

Man of Honour
Abandoned watching the scales for a change, lost the first 15ish lbs and then weight loss started crawling. Body composition is still improving massively weekly though.

Back
Top Bottom