*** Big Fat Weight Loss Thread ***

Soldato
OP
I think my problem is, if I ate when I wanted, if I was hungry, I end up well over 3,000 calories in a day, so it's a bit of an effort to stay at a maintenance level for me. I kind of have to pay attention or I will start putting weight back on.

People said when you adjust your diet, you'll get used to it and not feel hungry. That never happened for me :( I'm almost always hungry still.

Soldato
High levels of cardio do do that i find though and i believe it's pretty well documented.

My food is fairly standard each day though

Breakfast - Porridge with banana/honey
Dinner - Sandwich/Soup/Wrap of some kind
Tea - Whatever we're having

I know roughly that breakfast is ~450kcal, tea will be around 600-800 depending on what we have and then dinner will likely be under 500. I'll sometimes throw in fruit if i get peckish, but other than that i don't really eat much during the day, so know i'll always be ~2000kcal.

The reasons for my weight gain are 2.

1 - I can easily drink a lot, having 5 beers on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and you're hitting around 3500kcal just for that, and it's not even *that* much. I make an effort not to drink midweek, and try not to have that much at weekends, but it's easily done if i'm in the mood.
2 - Snacking when my wife goes to bed. I'll happily whack a load of butter/peanut butter on toast, have 3 slices and boom that's around 800kcal that i didn't need at all, but was boredom eating!

Soldato
OP
i didn't need at all, but was boredom eating!
I think this is a big thing. If I can keep busy I don't notice the hunger. Last night, after work, I was meeting friends and cycling. We went out for about 2½ hours, I'd only had half a Huel before. When I got in, I wasn't even hungry and didn't eat anything else until 9pm (sometimes exercise really suppresses hunger. In fact, I just heard about HIIT type things generate something in your body that suppresses hunger and I'd certainly put in some high efforts in the ride)

If I finish work and sit about the flat, I'll eat 600 to 7600 cals for dinner, but then be hungry around 7/7:30 so might snack on some Popchips (340 cals) and then eat 500 to 600 cals again before bed, or my stomach will wake me up at 2am hungry...

Reactions: B&W
Soldato
I think my problem is, if I ate when I wanted, if I was hungry, I end up well over 3,000 calories in a day, so it's a bit of an effort to stay at a maintenance level for me. I kind of have to pay attention or I will start putting weight back on.

People said when you adjust your diet, you'll get used to it and not feel hungry. That never happened for me :( I'm almost always hungry still.
This is me all day long, I can eat endlessly without issue, i can do 3-5k cals per day, which makes my 2.4-2.5k maintenance important to track quick closely. Fortunately im happy tracking still, as im looking to build up a full year of data.

Man of Honour
Mrs and step daughter sat and ate a Burger King in front of me last night while I was enjoying my chicken, potatoes and salad.
Didn't interest me in the slightest which is a massive mental move forward for me.

The old me after being up at 0430, in the office all day, 2 hour commute and a gym session on the way home would have caved just to avoid spending the 10 minutes in the kitchen cooking dinner.

Goal is now 207lb before my wedding in mid August so approx 8lbs to go.

Caporegime
It's amazing what a bit of walking can do for you.

Recall I was talking about having 1800-1900kcals a day (with a TDEE of supposedly 2400kcals) and seemed to be stuck. Weight wouldn't budge at all. I would go jogging 3-4 times a week for 5K and the other 3 rest days sit on my arse at my computer doing bugger all.

But just by changing the routine and making sure I am doing 10,000 steps each day (from jogging and walking), it's made a massive difference. The weight is just flying off, indeed too quick I think. Not far off crossing from 12 stone something into the 11s... Not been this light since I was a teenager I think.

Soldato

Recall I was talking about having 1800-1900kcals a day (with a TDEE of supposedly 2400kcals) and seemed to be stuck. Weight wouldn't budge at all. I would go jogging 3-4 times a week for 5K and the other 3 rest days sit on my arse at my computer doing bugger all.

But just by changing the routine and making sure I am doing 10,000 steps each day (from jogging and walking), it's made a massive difference. The weight is just flying off, indeed too quick I think. Not far off crossing from 12 stone something into the 11s... Not been this light since I was a teenager I think.
100% agree. I have an hour for lunch at work and have found just adding a 45 minute walk when i wouldn't be doing anything anyways made much more of a difference than I thought it would.

Soldato
Funny you say this, since my back problems the last few months, I can't do any weight bearing exercise so started walking to/from work, approx 4 miles a day/5 days a week.

My weight hasn't actually changed a great deal but my clothes fit better, in fact my jeans are a little loose on the waist - a few t-shirts which were on the tighter side are hanging looser as well.

Soldato

I was in a similar boat in that I didn't walk much at all before and started making an effort to hit 10k steps per day since the middle of January to help with my weight loss journey. The walking clearly helped. Since then I've clocked up 1.85mil steps, according to Fitbit that's 476k calories burned, I've eaten 375k Cals according to MFP, if we use the old 3.5k Cals per 1lb of fat loss that roughly worked out to 28lb, well I'm down 25.6lb, having gained some muscle along the way, it all seems to add up.

Another thing I'm really surprised with is reverse dieting. After finishing my cut 3 weeks ago having started in December (including a maintenance phase) I'm now in the reverse diet phase, slowly building back up my calories having been on 1700 Cals at the end of my cut.

I've done the following:
Week 1: 2150
Week 2: 2350
Week 3: 2575 (slightly over target +25).

At the end of my cut I weighed 146lb as at the end of week 3 of reverse dieting I weigh 144.6lb. My maintenance level has increase from 2250 where it was before the extra activity, weight loss and muscle gain, to in the range of 2.5-2.6k i would assume.

Week 4 is on to 2650 as I want to enter my bulking phase.

**I'm not sure if here will be the best place to continue my weight progress, so if this should shift to the gym rats thread ill do that.

Caporegime
I’ve noticed something strange now that I’ve lost weight and can feel my ribs. I seem to have a weird deformation on the bottom left rib, as if it’s been broken and not knitted itself back together cleanly! Very bizarre.

Soldato
I’ve noticed something strange now that I’ve lost weight and can feel my ribs. I seem to have a weird deformation on the bottom left rib, as if it’s been broken and not knitted itself back together cleanly! Very bizarre.
Sure its just not an oblique you are mistaking it for?

Soldato
OP
I put on 6lbs while cycling in the Alps...

I'm at 15st 7 at the moment. I panicked a little at 15st 12 and thought I need to hit this diet hard again, but now it's back down again, maybe I can relax a little.
Quite a surprise for me this morning. For a couple of weeks I've been eating reasonably well, but not cutting back too much and have been hovering around 15st 6 and 15st 7. On Thursday I met with some friends and we went to Kervans where we always get this -

4nBdJtk.jpg

I tend to eat more here than I really should or would anywhere else. It's just sooooooooo nice.

Anyway, I've ridden as normal on Saturday and Sunday (115 miles) but expected to be up a lb or two, given the volume eaten on Thursday, but no, 15st 5 dead, lowest I've been for over a month!

Mind you, today I fly to Porto and will be eating out meeting with people from work, so I fully expect to come back 5 or 6 lbs heavier!

Associate
Last week, I have tried watching my calories and have ensured I have a calorie deficit of 500 - 800 everyday. I have even been on the exercise bike every other day for 45 mins. each time.
My weight has only yo-yoed between 74 and 75 kilos. (Target is 67 kilos)

This is absolute bs and clearly not working for me. I need to go back on my tried and tested lime water and two boiled eggs every three hours for that drastic weight loss.

Soldato
OP
I have tried watching my calories and have ensured I have a calorie deficit of 500 - 800 everyday.
Obviously, do whatever works for you, but I would suggest whatever you had set as your base, was simply too high. Drop it be 300-400 and keep going.
I have even been on the exercise bike every other day for 45 mins.
Out of interest, do you know what your average heart rate was for these?

Back
Top Bottom