Big Sony PS3 announcment coming 31st March?

Caporegime
announce the PSP2 to try and take some of the limelight away from the DSi...

That is my first thought. A UMD-less PSP2 with camera, phone, etc etc. Sony's take on the iPhone if you will seeing as Ericsson want to quit the shared business. This will take on both the iPhone and the DSi by having the best of both.

*holds out pinch of salt*

Soldato
That is my first thought. A UMD-less PSP2 with camera, phone, etc etc. Sony's take on the iPhone if you will seeing as Ericsson want to quit the shared business. This will take on both the iPhone and the DSi by having the best of both.
I thought of that this weekend, after calling someone on my iPhone I started playing on my PSP and thought why don't they make a PSP that is a bit smaller with the same screen but with a phone built in.

Soldato
What is the chance it will be the announcement of the 45nm cell upgrade to be available to coincide with the price cut.

As has already been said, that's not the sort of thing that companies call a 'global announcement' as 99% of their user base won't even know what a 45nm cell upgrade even is, let alone its benefits. They may well announce a price cut that has come around due to a 45nm upgrade, but they won't even bother announcing that bit, just that their product is cheaper.

Soldato
I doubt it will be backwards compatibility as that requires a hardware chip to work well, or they have found a way to emulate it in software.

While i agree that it probably won't be backwards compatibility i wouldn't be shocked if sony were working on software emulation for the PS2. Reason for this being they can then use that software, or slightly modified versions of it, in their future consoles much like they have for PS1 emulation in the PSP and PS3.

Caporegime
While i agree that it probably won't be backwards compatibility i wouldn't be shocked if sony were working on software emulation for the PS2. Reason for this being they can then use that software, or slightly modified versions of it, in their future consoles much like they have for PS1 emulation in the PSP and PS3.

Plus it would be the perfect method to kick start a new transition of more of their huge PS2 install base on to the PS3, knowing that [most of] peoples' existing game library will work.

Soldato
it wont be backwards compatibility - nobody plays old gen games on new consoles, less than 1% would even want to

I disagree, i played plenty of PS1 games on my PS2 and pretty much everyone i know who owns a PS2 has chucked in at least a couple of their old favourites. Add to that that the PS2 is still having new games for it released today and you've got a rather large potential number of users.

Soldato
it wont be backwards compatibility - nobody plays old gen games on new consoles, less than 1% would even want to

yes they do. i know a lot of people who still play FF7 even on their ps3's. i know i'd play a lot of ps2 classics if my ps3 had backwards compatibility, ace combat or mgs for example.

Soldato
yes they do. i know a lot of people who still play FF7 even on their ps3's. i know i'd play a lot of ps2 classics if my ps3 had backwards compatibility, ace combat or mgs for example.
You would play old PS2 games you have already bought, which isn't interesting to Sony at all as you do not mention you will buy new PS2 games if your PS3 would have BC.

Caporegime
Surely the only thing it WON'T be is a price cut (normally these are set separately by EU, JAP, USA etc)?

I dunno if PS2 BC would be interesting or big news globally tbh, I just don't think enough people care about it, and it is never marketted as a very big feature anyway, so why now?

I can't think of any game release that would be globally interesting that is close or has not been talked about already (can't see why it would be uncharted or god of war 2 as both have been shown behind closed doors recently with leaked footage).

GT5 getting a worldwide release date this side of 2010 would probably do it. It is one of the few genres/games that I think all PS3 owners around the world would like to see sooner rather than later.

rp2000

Soldato
i wouldn't buy new games, no, but i was just answering the post, as people do play older games on newer consoles, whether they were previously bought or not.

Back
Top Bottom