Big Tech Authoritarianism

I never checked but were all those outraged at Parler's treatment equally outraged when Trump tried to ban TicTok because a load of kids reserved tickets to his rally so it was 90% empty and he was humiliated? You were all posting in here that the left right were ending free speech?

I knew there was a lack of substance around here. Looked at The Running Man's last few posts in a row and no attempt to present material or meaningful debate.

What rules were broken specifically?
So you are saying there are rules specifically for country leaders in the t&case?
Wouldn't it be the same rules for anyone to incite violence?
Black on white racism?
Do they ban rappers who use the n word?
Or those who advocated terrorism by taking over seattle center?

Carry on.

Do they ban rappers who use the n word?

Or those who advocated terrorism by taking over seattle center?

Wow black people using the n word bothers you does it? Is that because you can't?

If people are advocating for others to break the law then yes they should be banned. Report the posts. I've always found Twitter to respond fairly quickly to reports.

Take a look at Question Time: how often per year is there a right-of-centre majority on the panel? Do I need more than one hand? Do I need more than one finger? How about a left-of centre majority? How many hands do I need for that? How about a pro-Brexit majority? And maybe you should look at Panorama. They did a program on the NHS where there were no fewer than seven Labour stooges - all unannounced.

I haven't watched Question Time in a long time. To be honest I rarely watch TV anymore. My issue with Question Time is a lot of questions are terrible and a lot of answers even worse. If politicians were fact checked and called out there and then then maybe it would be better. I do remember Farage being on there a lot.

Are we not being lead in that direction by those claiming to be fighting Fascism? who tore down historical statues? who bans books/users and all manner of things that don't agree with their point of view (deemed to be 'offensive')? who is trying to disarm the population?

Who is we? This is a British forum with the vast majority of members being British.

Our population is thankfully not armed and none of what is happening in the US affects me or our population directly.

I think the thread has run its course. We should agree to disagree on this free speech topic being determined by Trump being banned from Twitter.

Hey, at least we can all agree that the Earth is flat and the COVID19 vaccine is just a receiver for 5G masts.

Its been a fun ride. Would love to do this over a few beers with you all as whilst its really shone a light on the whacky beliefs some of you hold, it has been civil and entertaining.

Edit: Jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough.

Wow black people using the n word bothers you does it? Is that because you can't?

If people are advocating for others to break the law then yes they should be banned. Report the posts. I've always found Twitter to respond fairly quickly to reports.

I think you either have one universal standard that is applied to everyone equally, it's like equality or something. That's what we all want right?

Or you don't but if you don't then of course you will be open to both scrutiny and ridicule if you relax the rules for some then its equality and one group may use this as ammo to show a difference on perceived fairness.

I think you either have one universal standard that is applied to everyone equally, it's like equality or something. That's what we all want right?

Or you don't but if you don't then of course you will be open to both scrutiny and ridicule if you relax the rules for some then its equality and one group may use this as ammo to show a difference on perceived fairness.
Very shortsighted view of equality, but whatever makes you happy.

I think the thread has run its course. We should agree to disagree on this free speech topic being determined by Trump being banned from Twitter.

Hey, at least we can all agree that the Earth is flat and the COVID19 vaccine is just a receiver for 5G masts.

Its been a fun ride. Would love to do this over a few beers with you all as whilst its really shone a light on the whacky beliefs some of you hold, it has been civil and entertaining.

Edit: Jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough.

genuine lol :P

You are talking about society like its black and white (pun not intended). Of course a black person using the n-word is completely different to a white person. There are white rappers that use it but that is within a music and cultural movement. Why would a white person want to use the n-word? It has a terrible history and is a hateful expression when used in that context. I've never understood the argument that some black people use it so why can't I. The person asking is either racist or ignorant of history.

You are talking about society like its black and white (pun not intended). Of course a black person using the n-word is completely different to a white person. There are white rappers that use it but that is within a music and cultural movement. Why would a white person want to use the n-word? It has a terrible history and is a hateful expression when used in that context. I've never understood the argument that some black people use it so why can't I. The person asking is either racist or ignorant of history.

Or alternatively wanting to rid the world of inequality.

There cannt be equality until inequality is removed its very simple.

Or alternatively wanting to rid the world of inequality.

There cannt be equality until inequality is removed its very simple.
Or more likely just wants to use it in it's purely purgative meaning without consequences.

It's the same with most complaints about "ooh we have to be sooo PC these days" when what they mean is that random insults based on race, religion or disability are recognised by most people as being unacceptable and now carry consequences for those that use them (or to put it another way you don't get a free pass at insulting others just because of some random difference).

Or more likely just wants to use it in it's purely purgative meaning without consequences.

It's the same with most complaints about "ooh we have to be sooo PC these days" when what they mean is that random insults based on race, religion or disability are recognised by most people as being unacceptable and now carry consequences for those that use them (or to put it another way you don't get a free pass at insulting others just because of some random difference).
I think these are the freedoms Hades was referring to earlier in the thread.

Poland seems to be standing alone in this war. Expect EU sanctions.

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1348165323216859136

Poland can't force Twitter to allow any speech on THEIR platform that breaks their T&C. Good luck enforcing it. What are they going to do, send a red notice for @Jack to be arrested. I suppose Twitter could just make twitter in Poland a Poland only platform. Cut it off from the rest of the world then change their T&C there to mirror Polish law.

Edit: funny that Poland that has a far right party now that is as illiberal as they come is saying they want free speech, more likely hate speech.

Last edited:
Poland can't force Twitter to allow any speech on THEIR platform that breaks their T&C. Good luck enforcing it. What are they going to do, send a red notice for @Jack to be arrested. I suppose Twitter could just make twitter in Poland a Poland only platform. Cut it off from the rest of the world then change their T&C there to mirror Polish law.
Or simply refuse any accounts that are based in Poland (including geolocation/IP blocks) and update their T&C to reflect they no longer provide a service there and shifting the responsibility back onto the user.
It becomes hard to sue a company for breaking local law when the company has taken steps to avoid doing any business at all in that region, especially if it's an international company with no local assets or employees.

IIRC they do actual already automatically block certain things depending on country, for example if your account is registered as being in German the platform automatically blocks an awful lot of nazi related nonsense, as German law has restrictions in regards to the Nazi's, so some people set their location as Germany to get the benefit of that rubbish being reduced in their feeds.

4 years of Trumps right wing cancel culture is coming home to roost. Businesses are binning him left, right and centre. Twitter and Facebook finally grew a pair. His brand has finally become as toxic as the man himself.

Glorious. :D

Back
Top Bottom