Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
I'm currently eyeing up VFR800s, there's a couple at a dealer just down from work. Might pop in and wangle a test ride :o
Insurance is about £60 more for the year than the SV and it would probably cost me £1-1.5k to upgrade once I sold the SV.

Soldato
I'm currently eyeing up VFR800s, there's a couple at a dealer just down from work. Might pop in and wangle a test ride :o
Insurance is about £60 more for the year than the SV and it would probably cost me £1-1.5k to upgrade once I sold the SV.
They're great bikes, especially for commuting. Very decent headlights, good weather protection (only my arms really get wet), they don't handle bad either and they sound great! And of course they're comfy - 500 miles in a day is no big issue.

You'll love the extra power over the SV, they don't really need to be revved as up to 5-6k they've got a bit of torque, however above 7k they take off :D sooo easy to look down and be doing a few mph over the 70mph limit :o:p:D

They are a bit heavy but you only notice that moving them about, they're well balanced - I came to an almost complete stop at a set of lights I knew was about to turn green tonight, was pretty much stationary for a good 2 seconds - I like to think the car behind was impressed :D

Man of Honour
They're great bikes, especially for commuting. Very decent headlights, good weather protection (only my arms really get wet), they don't handle bad either and they sound great! And of course they're comfy - 500 miles in a day is no big issue.

You'll love the extra power over the SV, they don't really need to be revved as up to 5-6k they've got a bit of torque, however above 7k they take off :D sooo easy to look down and be doing a few mph over the 70mph limit :o:p:D

They are a bit heavy but you only notice that moving them about, they're well balanced - I came to an almost complete stop at a set of lights I knew was about to turn green tonight, was pretty much stationary for a good 2 seconds - I like to think the car behind was impressed :D

Those sharp slow speed right handers are tricky though, eh? :p

Soldato
Any advice on what to look out for Paul? I see an aftermarket r/r is pretty much a need but apart from that the Fi models look pretty bomb proof
Are you looking at a 5th gen (fi, pre vtec) model?

There's loads about, worry not about mileage - 30k is about run in for these.
Get a HISS model if you can, they changed some bits on the 5th gen in 2000, you get stainless headers with a CAT, HISS immobiliser, automatic choke and probably some other bits I've missed. If you get an earlier 98/99 one you'll have to make sure the header pipes have been replaced with a stainless set so it's easier just to get a later model. The cat shroud can made it look rusty but that's just the cover, the cat and pipes will be fine.

The brakes are linked so feel a bit wooden to start but they're solid - when you use the front it applied one piston from the rear, and when you use the rear there's a delay valve which then applied one piston on the front, so when you brake they 'squat' rather than dive.

I've had no issues with my r/r and even killed a batter stopping and starting the bike in the eurotunnel customs queue, the dashes sometimes have issues so make sure all of it works, have a google to see that issue.

TBH there's not really much else to check apart from the usual stuff, find a nice, unmolested one sold by the usual 'older' gentleman owner of thse privately for under £2k - I had a choice of 2, my one with 23k and in very decent nick, a 2000 model, or a earlier non HISS model with 35k but it absolutely mint condition, 1 owner. Both for £2k. If there's none about one week, wait a couple of weeks and there'll be a couple more for sale.

Oh and I hope you like red!! :D Seems like about 75% come in that colour. And of course if it doesn't have an exhaust get that before anything else :D The straight cut cam gear whine will be louder than anything else, you need a nice V4 burble to go along with it :D

Man of Honour
Are you looking at a 5th gen (fi, pre vtec) model?

There's loads about, worry not about mileage - 30k is about run in for these.
Get a HISS model if you can, they changed some bits on the 5th gen in 2000, you get stainless headers with a CAT, HISS immobiliser, automatic choke and probably some other bits I've missed. If you get an earlier 98/99 one you'll have to make sure the header pipes have been replaced with a stainless set so it's easier just to get a later model. The cat shroud can made it look rusty but that's just the cover, the cat and pipes will be fine.

The brakes are linked so feel a bit wooden to start but they're solid - when you use the front it applied one piston from the rear, and when you use the rear there's a delay valve which then applied one piston on the front, so when you brake they 'squat' rather than dive.

I've had no issues with my r/r and even killed a batter stopping and starting the bike in the eurotunnel customs queue, the dashes sometimes have issues so make sure all of it works, have a google to see that issue.

TBH there's not really much else to check apart from the usual stuff, find a nice, unmolested one sold by the usual 'older' gentleman owner of thse privately for under £2k - I had a choice of 2, my one with 23k and in very decent nick, a 2000 model, or a earlier non HISS model with 35k but it absolutely mint condition, 1 owner. Both for £2k. If there's none about one week, wait a couple of weeks and there'll be a couple more for sale.

Oh and I hope you like red!! :D Seems like about 75% come in that colour. And of course if it doesn't have an exhaust get that before anything else :D The straight cut cam gear whine will be louder than anything else, you need a nice V4 burble to go along with it :D

Cheers mate.
Yeah looking at the non Vtech model, Vtech just seems like extra complication for not a lot really.

The post 2000 ones seem to be the way to go, but I did see a couple of really nice Vtech models in dark blue which looked brilliant but as you say for the most part they seem to be red, red with a hint of red and red red :D

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Yeah, that was the Giau pass - bloody stunning place. :cool:
Hope you don't mind, I was curious to see how it would look. :p

V_zm9wM-3c3-KC1rjkOksNdRrFf_QiN_z33vt-E_R1pKoqIcjYHoHb7QoBz2CyBET81UGX4iLlI98QRrf4UHgMGdlrmP6qcESq9LLmLzWKYqfiLWcTwbYHt3PJBpXNJw0r6yzkdT6q79y3Abc9coZQlTIm6fJS4nCu3qE8hVpzDjVhrtgyTYk0V2bzm-7hgLNY1WXomu3yD2SNRx7qNgRIr9AvqiN0dqZCNfXAChhjIVr_Y6XoN3wcgV5y_jKSy8yXZ6vY7GuhjhtwOhkPQaPEtmFp6vX95MLRANbH94HQv3mw0eXXh8Z2PXUU14uD7jVijDbzO7rcrKAYOpl52l8u7IS8mx8X5rwxkWCqldgrcUQ9eRQ4kxL_utdABW4g80BcVKVTMXViz1Ljuz0FGQrpt0-4VK0E4_kAEmUOfFDSloujXuxJk8akeqr0PTchd6zGK5g4qjZ6k1y2rUJLrjvtCQ-UZXpWzNIdO6BzJ3Aom6h8v0iGrlGfpRs03esKuPvCwGwpLVB1CIGkejFRqExwNtkCLAOWNwcTQRTCCDi841z45eTf4kWr05XmGKA_3RSNPQlRBeCMNwb-RZ5hGoYNCbiyPLGPKdbEsh-A=w1292-h701-no

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Nah that's cool - nice job!! :D my Photoshop skills have been long lost....
Thanks. :)

I saw a biker down today, he was involved in hit and run... The police scouted the area to try and find the car, but I don't think they had any luck. The bike has mostly cosmetic damage, but looks like the engine took the hit. From the distance I saw it, it looks like a stator cover which you can replace. The biker himself was fine, he walked and talked.

IMG_20180216_160224.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
So yesterday I took a 'spirited drive' around the new forest in the 340i as the weather was nice and the car kinda needed it. Saw a few bikes, maybe 5? and 3 of them were R1's :D One in a Milwaukee sort of race livery with a set of wonderful sounding exhausts; didn't manage to catch the brand but sounded lovely on the power

Soldato
I was a bit gutted earlier, walked out my house at 1pm to see the sun shining, lovely temperature but no bike :( will have to sort it out quickly as I don’t want to waste much time while the weather starts to turn nice.

Soldato
i rode to the KTM Center in Hemel in pretty horrible weather, bike having it's service. They lent me a 1090 Adventure, which is very comfortable to ride and actually has a little poke to it.

The ride back to collect (around 1pm) was much better, although a lot of my gear was still damp :(

It's probably the longest journey my bike has had in about 5 months. Roll on some sunshine!

Back
Top Bottom