Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
250 miles on all twisty roads is fine, I've done 500+ miles in a day from Switzerland to Kent with no issues too - all depends on the roads. So long as you get away early 8-10 hours total (with breaks/fuel stops etc) is fine, it's the faffing around waiting for people to get packed up so you can leave or needing multiple food/fuel/fag/**** stops, or fixing breakdowns that makes long days an issue. just riding is easy!!

Soldato
it's the faffing around waiting for people to get packed up so you can leave or needing multiple food/fuel/fag/**** stops, or fixing breakdowns that makes long days an issue. just riding is easy!!

Exactly. It is torture in larger groups when you stop 30 minutes after starting, as there's always one rider who didn't fill up at the last stop the day before (normally to make a point about how great the range is on his bike). Then 30 minutes later someone else needs to stop because they need a drink or a ****. Then 30 minutes later everyone else needs to stop for a normal refuel etc etc.

Man of Honour
Exactly. It is torture in larger groups when you stop 30 minutes after starting, as there's always one rider who didn't fill up at the last stop the day before (normally to make a point about how great the range is on his bike). Then 30 minutes later someone else needs to stop because they need a drink or a ****. Then 30 minutes later everyone else needs to stop for a normal refuel etc etc.

When one person stops for fuel everyone fills up. Why would you ever do any different unless you get cleanly more than twice the range of the smallest range in the group.

Soldato
Because people are frequently idiots and / or believe they've got enough to get to the next stop (which will inevitably be in 30 minutes but, unfortunately for them, not at a garage). One of my mates has Multistrada Enduro and is constantly banging on about the awesome range, which is pointless as he can't sit on a bike for longer than an hour without a break. We just bang on about how a quarter tonne bike can't go around corners, partly due to the 30 litres of fuel sitting well above the centre of gravity!

Soldato
I can barely do 100 miles on the SV before my arse goes dead. The seat is made of stone, so there's no way I'd get out of Wales without changing to a comfier seat :p

SV seat is made of paper and plastic :p
I live in north Herts and when i rode my mate's SV down to south Devon last year, my arse was hurting by Swindon...

Soldato
When one person stops for fuel everyone fills up. Why would you ever do any different unless you get cleanly more than twice the range of the smallest range in the group.
Apart from when someone falls behind and they fly past the petrol station everyone else has stopped at for a re-fuel and drink, then someone has to go after them as their phone Bluetooth isn't working... :p:D

Associate
Having the right bike for the ride you want to do helps a lot, if you want to be on it for 10 hours a day. This is exactly the type of riding I bought the XR for. But I don't want to sound too defensive - I appreciate that this sort of riding every now and then isn't for everyone :)

+1

On an XR and with a little bit of hardiness you'll be fine.

Enjoy!

(Though I'd start praying to the weather gods now if I were you!)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Guess who went to fire up the bike this morning and found the battery totally flat? :mad:

The ignition / dash didn't even light up, so I'm guessing I'd left it in "P" and the battery got drained.

Soldato
250 miles on all twisty roads is fine, I've done 500+ miles in a day from Switzerland to Kent with no issues too - all depends on the roads. So long as you get away early 8-10 hours total (with breaks/fuel stops etc) is fine, it's the faffing around waiting for people to get packed up so you can leave or needing multiple food/fuel/fag/**** stops, or fixing breakdowns that makes long days an issue. just riding is easy!!
I think the problem for me is the battle of keeping within the law. I did mx when I was a kid and everything I know about riding is basically to wring a bike’s neck. Riding on the road is a constant effort to stay at slow speeds, which I can do, but it makes it boring. Riding off road I’m constantly close to the limit, not through speed but technical riding, so it can keep my attention for 8-10hrs.

Man of Honour
These are the bits I decided to keep to put up on my garage wall, as the swing arm was too big to wall mount:
pMA2RFl.jpg

They will be joining an SV650 tail cowl, Street Triple belly pan and a Tuono 1100 Factory side fairing with the big red "a" on it.

Surprisingly they replaced the handlebars, which I only found out when I went through the box of broken parts.

Man of Honour
@Kreeeee Is it difficult for you to get insurance and is it expensive over the year considering how many bikes you've binned?

The price never changes no matter how many times I throw it down the road, although my speeding ban (101 in an 80) means I have to call the insurers rather than do it online. No one has said no yet.

I pay ~£680 per year and get the full price of the bike back if I crash it plus £1800 for equipment (tank bags, helmet, clothing, phone etc). £380 excess.

Man of Honour
Question is... how did it happen and are you ok?

Low side while riding at 55kmh on gravel in France with Arfoll:
Thread has been a bit quiet since initial excitement... I will try to write a ride report and entertain all of you :D

So I left from Germany for my 3.5hrs trip to Colmar, I've just been moving house/city so I was pretty shattered generally and decided to just cheat and autobahn most of the way there. Obviously it's the autobahn so many traffic jams ensued and I made it in ~4hrs. Kreeeee only had 2hrs or so, ended up a bit early so he went for a little mountain pass on his own. Being a swiss he's not allowed EU roaming and his whatsapp was super delayed so we got a bit confused as to where we where. Steak was had, found out Kreeeee is not manly enough to drink beer - much sadness.

Next morning we messed around tyring to get my Cardo Packtalk with Kreeeee's Sena 20S, what a pain in the ***. I'm not sure who was at fault, Kreeeee suggested I'm **** with tech, that could be correct. Got the camera working and off we went, first off on a little pass, where we discovered the MT-10 was actually in stealth mode and I couldn't hear it. I dominated in all further tunnel tests much to Kreeeee's pain. We carried on the loop, had our actually pretty mediocre sandwhich and a coffee and kept going.

ALMWJmh.jpg
KQMiPWl.jpg
3xNKM9n.jpg

So whilst I am technologically challenged, Kreeeee's sat nav decided we must have dual sports and started recommending the dodgiest routes I've ever done. There is a video of us doing some off roading that Kreeeee will hopefully upload soon because it was just hilarious. Seriously I thought my garmin was sucky but that tomtom...

And then we where getting a bit tired, it'd been a long day so we decided to just chill and go back to the hotel via a nice little pass, and Kreeeee honed in on some gravel that was just being cleaned up by the rather unhelpful roadside crew:
All in quite scary, as we really where well within the speed limits and what I would call perfectly sensible riding and I honestly can't really think what poor Kreeeee did wrong. Some damage pics I hope Kreeeee doesn't mind I put up!

A93kcR1.jpg
Expensive frame slider!
ZXgh6tG.jpg
Obviously not german quality metal!
pz0Vqaw.jpg
Some expensive scratches....

So after a little bit of sadness staring at the slightly leaky MT-10 that had been propped up by some fellow bikers, recovery guy turned up after lots of odd and unorganised french/swiss people and I gave Kreeeee a lift back to the hotel, where we drowned our sorrows in steak because we both knew the trip was kinda over. Not wanting to finish on my own, I decided to give up and just rode home to finish my move (meh :/) and went through the black forest. Not as fun as I'd expected since there where still loads of closed roads (i guess due to snow? didn't seem to be any though so I'm confused) which meant I got lost a lot as garmin reroutes like an idiot. Still no dirt paths so I call it a win for garmin! Google had no idea on half these road closures so it was a bit useless too :/

All in, it was actually a great day of riding with Kreeeee and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm sure we'll meet up again once he's bike ready, maybe this time he'll have ditched his policeman helmet and have found a bike that I can hear. I hope I changed his mind about onesie wearing bmw riders who don't wave.

Back
Top Bottom