Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Soldato
Does seem a little odd to me, a quick nod means you don't remove your hands from controls or look off from the road (you don't need to move your head much) whereas doing that means you are in less control...

A nod also means it doesn't matter what side of the road you're riding either.

Man of Honour
Does seem a little odd to me, a quick nod means you don't remove your hands from controls or look off from the road (you don't need to move your head much) whereas doing that means you are in less control...

A nod also means it doesn't matter what side of the road you're riding either.

There's a whole story behind why it's done. To put it briefly it's a sign of liberty because archers would have their fingers cut off when captured, so to show you still have those two fingers is a sign that you are free.

It makes much more sense than a vague head wobble, and they also show the sign to every biker not just those riding the same type of bike like they do in the UK.

Soldato
Mid corner hand off wave shows off the fact you are basically a riding god. And that's what matters.
:D

There's a whole story behind why it's done. To put it briefly it's a sign of liberty because archers would have their fingers cut off when captured, so to show you still have those two fingers is a sign that you are free.

It makes much more sense than a vague head wobble, and they also show the sign to every biker not just those riding the same type of bike like they do in the UK.

I know the origins of the Vs (in both flavours) but that doesn't really equate to riding bikes in any way, shape or form. I tend to see the head bob/nod (not wobble) between a variety of bikes, not just one make/model so I'm not sure where that argument comes from really...this is all in the UK.

Fair enough that mainland EU has a different approach, just seems an odd one to me really (unless you're a driving god like @arfoll ).

Man of Honour
I know the origins of the Vs (in both flavours) but that doesn't really equate to riding bikes in any way, shape or form.

Fair enough that mainland EU has a different approach, just seems an odd one to me really (unless you're a driving god like @arfoll ).

You must be the only biker on the planet that doesn't associate riding with freedom.

*salute* ("I'm having a great time and feel liberated by being close to nature with this great weather and those hairpins")

*return salute* ("Just you wait until you see the chicanes, mountains and waterfalls up ahead... oh and some weird foreigners who keep bopping their heads")

:p

Soldato
You must be the only biker on the planet that doesn't associate riding with freedom.
The same can be said for driving a car, riding a pedal bike etc. though surely? ;)

As I say, fair enough that it's different in the EU, I just personally don't see that either one makes perfect sense. I'm more used to seeing the nod though and it does seem more international given it doesn't matter what side of the road you're riding on and doesn't mean you let off the throttle in the UK. :p

Soldato
Are you sure that you ride a motorcycle? :p
I mean...I have ridden one or two...but for training and the test...even then I had people nodding in acknowledgement of being on a bike. :p

I grew up in the country side so having your own transport (be that a bicycle, car or motorbike) equals freedom as you don't need to rely on parental lifts. Along with plenty of stories about Overlanders that don't use bikes and have ultimate freedom to just travel wherever they want essentially. :p

Soldato
Nothing wrong with 125, I nod to them all the time. With age restrictions on motorbikes these days it's fair enough that everyone has to start somewhere and a 125 is a good choice.

But those horrible, restricted blow dryers are another story. They should be ban. That'd bring moped crime right down.

Associate
The real problem with the head nod is if you accidentally nod to a scooter or 125 through a corner. You have now incorrectly saluted and will forever have to live with the shame.

The two finger salute on the other hand can quickly be flipped into the one finger salute which is really the appropriate greeting for a one cylinder 125cc.

:p:p:p

That first part is funny because it's true!!!

Caporegime

*salute* ("I'm having a great time and feel liberated by being close to nature with this great weather and those hairpins")

*return salute* ("Just you wait until you see the chicanes, mountains and waterfalls up ahead... oh and some weird foreigners who keep bopping their heads")

:p

*Salute* I like to venture to the other team some times, I have a leather stirrup at home.

*Return salute* I'll follow you.

Back
Top Bottom