Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
Is going straight from CBT to DAS (without the interim learning period on a 125 on L plates) the done thing now?
I’m mid 40’s, been driving for nearly 30 years and riding mountain&road bikes for about the same time… have CBT booked for next week with the intention of getting a 125 and riding that for a bit of time and then going DAS route… but seems many people do the whole thing in one shot now?
It's probably still the same. Some of us choose to do the CBT on Monday and DAS immediately after. Some of us choose to do the CBT Monday and a 125cc for <insert time period>. Bonus points if anybody finds stats showing which group dies more.

I did the same as @Scort, back in 2008 when it was just one practical test at the end of the week, but got a less exciting SV650 Sport (pointy) :).

Associate
Is going straight from CBT to DAS (without the interim learning period on a 125 on L plates) the done thing now?
I’m mid 40’s, been driving for nearly 30 years and riding mountain&road bikes for about the same time… have CBT booked for next week with the intention of getting a 125 and riding that for a bit of time and then going DAS route… but seems many people do the whole thing in one shot now?
I did it (sort of).

I passed my CBT and Theory last year, had a lesson on the 600 prior to starting the DAS. Unfortunately the dates for my MOD1 & 2 conflicted with something so had to wait until i returned from my 4 month deployment.

I didn't ride a bike again until June of this year when i returned and got straight into my DAS.

Soldato
Attached the baffle on the XJ today for the first time in a few years, mainly just to make sure I had the right screw. I want to give Cadwell Park a go on a track day and my exhaust without the baffle is certainly over the limit. Looks to be around £130 for a track day, there.

Man of Honour
I saw a couple of lovely bikes out and about today including a VanVan. If I ride again I would be tempted to get one for a bit of fun.

But I also saw something shocking; a rider with no gear apart from a helmet, but the shocking part was he had his chain around his shoulder and hanging down his back. The massive padlock was hanging on the chain right across his spine. I really wish people wouldn't do this. It's so dangerous if you come off the bike.

Soldato
CBT completed a few days ago - amazing day and loved every minute of it (aside from the many many attempts it took before i nailed the figure of 8. Found that hard!! it was on a hill so going to blame that). The 2.5 hours spent riding about on the open roads was amazing and by the end felt like it was almost becoming second nature rather than the terrifying alien experience I thought it would be.
Sadly cannot pick up my bike (Yama XSR125) til next sat but will be counting down the days like a 7 year old before christmas!

Man of Honour
CBT completed a few days ago - amazing day and loved every minute of it (aside from the many many attempts it took before i nailed the figure of 8. Found that hard!! it was on a hill so going to blame that). The 2.5 hours spent riding about on the open roads was amazing and by the end felt like it was almost becoming second nature rather than the terrifying alien experience I thought it would be.
Sadly cannot pick up my bike (Yama XSR125) til next sat but will be counting down the days like a 7 year old before christmas!
Congrats and well done. I passed my CBT a few years ago at a similar time of year. It starts to get very cold in a month or two so I strongly recommend thinking about the gear you mightwant to wear. I'm in my 50's so maybe I felt the cold more than most but my hands realy suffered. So good gloves are recommended. Also get a neck tube. I can't recommend them enough. Look into pinlocks for your helmet too, to prevent fogging.

The more hours experience you get on the road the better.

Best of luck. Welcome to biking. Only six sleeps now!

Soldato
Nice one I have been riding for 36 years I never owned a car so I use my bikes for pleasure work e.t.c my only tip I can give apart from the obvious is just remember its the wild wild west out there.

Associate
Passed my CBT in July and loved every minute on 2 wheels since. I'm excited for you ;) (figure 8 was a bugger for me too)

Man of Honour
Congrats. You have a wonderful journey ahead. Make sure you budget for proper riding gear and security. Also get some decent warm gloves and a neck tube for the colder weather.

Soldato
when you go out to supermarket or where ever and leave your bike, do you secure it with anything while your away?

only been riding 2 weeks and i think im a bit paranoid of getting my bike nicked while i nip in somewhere that i dont want to leave it anywhere. too many people saying how easy they are to take and how they do this and that to get your bike.

Soldato
Must admit I've been wondering and feeling the same recently. Had a long lay off from bikes and not sure I worried about it all too much but now I'm back on two wheels, it feels like I'm more concerned about leaving my bike places. I used to mainly be out in larger groups whereas now I'm on my own more so maybe that's a part of it, leaving one bike somewhere on it's own rather than in a group....feels a little more vulnerable.

I don't want to cart a chain around with me if I'm just popping out locally so I'll maybe just pick up a disc lock I can keep under the seat (if I can find room). The bike is alarmed as well but I'm not sure that deters many people these days.

Caporegime
At home I've got a 16mm Almax Protector & roundlock on both of ours, as well as massive Oxford disc locks and covers. They're both tracked too, I get a notification if someone as much as sits on it, it's great.

Out and about I've got the disc lock and tracker and will occasionally cover it up too, and I tend to park it in very conspicuous places amongst other bikes.

Probably a bit OTT but I'm not taking chances.

Soldato
Im back on two wheels after a long 8 year stretch.
Picked up a 2017 Street Triple 765R on Saturday and spent the day riding it (aka getting lost) in the Brecon Beacons, which was a wonderful way to come back into the fold.
Used Rain mode the entire journey so I didnt get myself into trouble feeling like a bit of a newbie again, was still thrilling.

Soldato
E58-B7-BF0-1-C00-4-E34-8-EB9-F1-FC29-BCFCA7.jpg
Picked up my 125 over the weekend and had a fun 80 mile drive home avoiding as many A roads as i could due to being limited to about 45 mph (engine run period in on a 125 sucks it seems!!!). Up to 200 miles now and…. As everyone else says I’m wondering why I never did this before. Loving it!
Piccy from this evenings ride

Associate
E58-B7-BF0-1-C00-4-E34-8-EB9-F1-FC29-BCFCA7.jpg
Picked up my 125 over the weekend and had a fun 80 mile drive home avoiding as many A roads as i could due to being limited to about 45 mph (engine run period in on a 125 sucks it seems!!!). Up to 200 miles now and…. As everyone else says I’m wondering why I never did this before. Loving it!
Piccy from this evenings ride
That's a beauty :D Cracking view too ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Im back on two wheels after a long 8 year stretch.
Picked up a 2017 Street Triple 765R on Saturday and spent the day riding it (aka getting lost) in the Brecon Beacons, which was a wonderful way to come back into the fold.
Used Rain mode the entire journey so I didnt get myself into trouble feeling like a bit of a newbie again, was still thrilling.
It's great isn't it :)

I'm just back after 18 years away :eek:
A few people suggested rain mode but to be honest I didn't even try it and I've been OK so far. Eased myself back in gently and managed to keep it sensible. I'm enjoying riding in a different style to how I used to be :)

Soldato
Rapidly approaching my first 600 mile service on my 125 and wondering if I can expect much of a performance increase after it's been done?
I know 125s aren't exactly known to be lightening fast but I'd love a bit more performance:D

Back
Top Bottom