Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
A very close friend of mine was telling me about a good friend of his who has bought an 80k porsche 911 gt3 rs, realised my 15k bike is about as fast to 60mph then will leave his 911 after that, 100-200 km/h time is half what the 911 takes. Yeh I know it's just pub bragging rights but still cool, I'd never "race" him anyway.

Man of Honour
Just a heads up about Suzuki. I was in a dealer on Saturday and there is a very significant manufacturers contribution on the Vstrom 650 and SV650. It applies only to the base models (so not the Vstrom 650 XT etc) and both bikes will be £5999 at most dealers (ignore the list price on the Suzuki website).

The dealer expected this to last for a few months until stock runs out. That's a cracking deal and quite tempting.

Man of Honour
A very close friend of mine was telling me about a good friend of his who has bought an 80k porsche 911 gt3 rs, realised my 15k bike is about as fast to 60mph then will leave his 911 after that, 100-200 km/h time is half what the 911 takes. Yeh I know it's just pub bragging rights but still cool, I'd never "race" him anyway.
Can't beat bikes for bang for buck when it comes to traffic light GP :D

Even a grands worth of bike would give it a run for it's money.

Associate
Morning all, can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive Paddock Stand for a 2000 plate CBR600F4?

The bikes previous owner removed the centre stand and i'd like to do some work on it in the near future but will struggle if all i have is the side stand.

Soldato
Just a heads up about Suzuki. I was in a dealer on Saturday and there is a very significant manufacturers contribution on the Vstrom 650 and SV650. It applies only to the base models (so not the Vstrom 650 XT etc) and both bikes will be £5999 at most dealers (ignore the list price on the Suzuki website).

The dealer expected this to last for a few months until stock runs out. That's a cracking deal and quite tempting.

My sv650 is 21 years old and in really good condition.

So if the newer ones are anything like the same build quality, well what's £6k divided by 21 work out as a year?

Man of Honour
It always used to make me laugh when people said Suzuki was crap quality and everything rusted. My SV was 14 years old when I sold it and for the last 5 years of it's life with me was ran 365 days a year come snow, rain or shine and it was still in great nick when it went.

Caporegime

200w.gif

Man of Honour
I forgot to mention the great warranty on the Vstrom (and so I assume it's the same on the SV650). It has a three year warranty which is automatically extended for "free" every year until seven years as long as you continue to get it serviced at Suzuki.

My heart is set on a Speed Twin but it really is tempting to just get a new Vstrom or SV650 for a year or two.

Soldato
Sv650 is a great bike.

I'm still happy with mine, it's quick enough.... Not often I'm wanting more power.

The real bonus though is they are reliable, easy to service, cheap to run and a v-twin is just awesome.

My last insurance was £65 ... annual, oil and oil filter is about £40 a year, I only do the air filter every 3-4 years due to mileage.

Basically it other than more occasional things, I've done the chain twice, front brakes pads one, rears once.

Bike has 40k on it, 21 years old, looks and runs good as new.

Soldato
Just got back :)
Fun and games today.
Got to Exeter, stopped in McDonalds about a mile from Bridge motorcycles. Battery gone flat:( Couldn't bump it so got a seater off me mate to Bridge and bought a new battery.
They wouldn't lend me a phillips screwdriver so I could change it!
I offered to leave my wallet in case they thought I would steal it, but no, "We don't lend tools out"
Absolute **** poor attitude, will never buy anything from them again, Certainly not run by bikers that's for sure.

Anyway, a couple of lads outside heard what was going on and offered me their tool kits, so all sorted in the end.

After that went to SP motorcycles and had a look at the KTM 1290 R
Seriously tempted to swap the R1 for something a bit more upright now.

That's a shame! I got my Moto2 from them and they were great initially but once money parted hands they no longer cared or tried. Asked about certain things and was basically told to sort it out myself.

SP Motorcycles where I got my SMC R from however were brilliant and always have been!

Soldato
What is it with bike shops these days?

The last 3 I've dealt with..

Orwell motorcycles
Sales, unbelievably crap & incompetent
Service dept, brilliant

Colchester Kawasaki
Sales, couldn't have been more helpful
Service dept, utterly clueless

Mototechniks
Sales, absolutely no effort at all to help me spend my money (I walked out in the end)
Service dept, guess I'll find out next Friday when 1st service is done.

Is it too much to ask for a dealer to have both departments that provide decent customer service?

Associate
Well, it’s happened. First drop of my own bike (CBT bike doesn’t count lol).

Stopped up at Tesco for a little shopping shifted to neutral kicked at the kick stand and went to rest it down. By the time I realised I’d missed the kick stand it was past the point of no return!

Was more laughing at myself then anything else. No lasting damage to the bike just a couple scratches to the slide protectors and handle bar protectors.

Did take a foot peg all the way up the right shin which is looking pretty but oh well!

Soldato
Well, it’s happened. First drop of my own bike (CBT bike doesn’t count lol).

Stopped up at Tesco for a little shopping shifted to neutral kicked at the kick stand and went to rest it down. By the time I realised I’d missed the kick stand it was past the point of no return!

Was more laughing at myself then anything else. No lasting damage to the bike just a couple scratches to the slide protectors and handle bar protectors.

Did take a foot peg all the way up the right shin which is looking pretty but oh well!

It happens to us all. Doesn't stop you feeling like a complete wally though! :D

Back
Top Bottom