Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Caporegime
Bikers. So many bell ends, it's quite hilarious to watch. They're now asking Rykas to shut their gates to police so that they can ride around with their loud pipes and illegal plates. The stupidity is both alarming and hilarious, I love watching the drama :D

Soldato
Had my 2nd lesson today, CBT booked for in a couple weeks.. Once I've passed I'm likely going to get a 125 for 3-4 months and then go on to big bike lessons from there. 1 thing I have noticed is that 40mph on a bike feels like 70mph lol I bet that'll quickly pass once I get some proper hours in out on the road by myself.
Any newbie tips welcome and appreciated :)

Caporegime
Had my 2nd lesson today, CBT booked for in a couple weeks.. Once I've passed I'm likely going to get a 125 for 3-4 months and then go on to big bike lessons from there. 1 thing I have noticed is that 40mph on a bike feels like 70mph lol I bet that'll quickly pass once I get some proper hours in out on the road by myself.
ATGATT.

Associate
Took the bike out for a little work away from a coffee shop. After fueling up on the way home the engine lights come on :(

It felt fine to ride and didn’t notice any noise or differences in the engine so will let it cool then have a little ride this evening to see if still on and if so get it booked in with a garage. Shame it doesn’t appear to have an odbc2 port as I’ve a scanner I use on the cars that would have been useful

Associate
You can buy an adapter cable to use your OBD scanner (depending on what bike you have).
Oooo quick Amazon search appears there are ones for the ninja 650. Will check the bike quick before ordering on.

Though confusion sets in. The bike has a 6 pin and a 4 pin plug…and I see a review someone saying the 6 doesn’t work on the euro 5 engines you need to also connect the 4

Last edited:
Associate
Was just reading too many things and not processing correctly. Some of the newer models have the 4 and 6 pin plus a new red 6 pin which is for the euro 5 engines. Mines a little older and could not see a red pin so should be good/will return to Amazon of it doesn’t work.

Man of Honour
Assume at all times that everyone on the road is out to kill you (you’ll soon find out that they actually are).
And always, and I mean always wear the proper gear, whether you’re nipping to the shops or spending a day out.
My worst crash in terms of injuries (nothing too saucy) was when I'd literally nipped down the shops about a mile down the road and happened 200m from home. Both of these are very good advice.

Soldato
Nice work!

Always look where you want to go and ride your own ride, don't feel pressure to do anything out of your comfort zone.

One thing that took me a while to realise, you only need to pull the clutch past the biting point to change gear (I know, I know you don't have to pull it at all but that's not what we're doing :D). Doing this means you can go up through the gears quicker.

Enjoy and keep the thread updated with your progress.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got back :)
Fun and games today.
Got to Exeter, stopped in McDonalds about a mile from Bridge motorcycles. Battery gone flat:( Couldn't bump it so got a seater off me mate to Bridge and bought a new battery.
They wouldn't lend me a phillips screwdriver so I could change it!
I offered to leave my wallet in case they thought I would steal it, but no, "We don't lend tools out"
Absolute **** poor attitude, will never buy anything from them again, Certainly not run by bikers that's for sure.

Anyway, a couple of lads outside heard what was going on and offered me their tool kits, so all sorted in the end.

After that went to SP motorcycles and had a look at the KTM 1290 R
Seriously tempted to swap the R1 for something a bit more upright now.

Soldato
What a bunch of ***** ever Halfords lent me tools, when I chucked a new battery in the Wife's car a while back; probably a different story now though, as they'd rather charge 20 quid to do it. But you'd expect a bike shop to be a bit more 'band of brothers' with their attitude.

Get yourself and 890R and ramp up riding on **** bumpy one lane B roads :cool:

Soldato
Fun and games today.
Got to Exeter, stopped in McDonalds about a mile from Bridge motorcycles. Battery gone flat:( Couldn't bump it so got a seater off me mate to Bridge and bought a new battery.
I offered to leave my wallet in case they thought I would steal it, but no, "We don't lend tools out"
Absolute **** poor attitude, will never buy anything from them again, Certainly not run by bikers that's for sure.

Anyway, a couple of lads outside heard what was going on and offered me their tool kits, so all sorted in the end.

Sadly not surprised. Can't say I've ever had a good experience with them.

Last edited:
Associate
Fun and games today.

If the 1290R is like my 1290GT then you'll get a free screwdriver - amongst an actually decent toolkit - so i say do it :D.

Associate
Discovered that the kawis can display the ecu codes on the dash…so it’s just the O2 sensor.

Got one on order and good to know it’s nothing too major to worry about.

Given how seized it was in the exhaust I’d guess it’s an original part.

Back
Top Bottom