Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Associate
Well, it’s happened. First drop of my own bike (CBT bike doesn’t count lol).

Stopped up at Tesco for a little shopping shifted to neutral kicked at the kick stand and went to rest it down. By the time I realised I’d missed the kick stand it was past the point of no return!

Was more laughing at myself then anything else. No lasting damage to the bike just a couple scratches to the slide protectors and handle bar protectors.

Did take a foot peg all the way up the right shin which is looking pretty but oh well!
2 years into 2 wheeled life and not had a drop yet, although I only have a Lambretta V125 :cry: More important is did anyone see you do it ? ?

Associate
2 years into 2 wheeled life and not had a drop yet, although I only have a Lambretta V125 :cry: More important is did anyone see you do it ? ?
I imagine the lambretta is a touch lighter then the ninja which I think clocks in at 200kg

Yup! Lady couple spaces over in her car with kid watched the whole thing but looked utterly uninterested and just drove off. All the whilst I’m laughing away at myself.

I dropped my first big bike on my foot while wearing flip flops in the back garden before I was even allowed to ride it :o
Foot swelled up lovely for a couple of days :D
Ouch…maybe I’ll stop moving the bike round the drive in mine just in case!

Oh and apparently dropping the bike can reset engine codes/ o2 sensors as it’s magically turned off now. Still have the sensor on order so will still swap it out.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah the 3rd gen I think is great. Though please leave the cats in if you do, we KTMs have a bad enough reputation :cry:

Oh, and if you're actually going to ride it get black wheels! My orange ones look clean for the five minutes after I put em back on the bike and that's it!

Soldato
Does anyone use disclocks anymore when out and about? I usually just put the steering lock on, and set the tilt alarm, but was idly wondering if a disclock would be "worth" it, or are they more hassle than they're worth? I known they are literally just a visual deterrent, but what are your thoughts on them?
Ta

Man of Honour
Yeah I stick one on on the rare occasion I park the bike up. Like you say security wise is almost pointless but if the scums option is kick a steering lock off or chop a disc to get the lock off they'll generally go for the easy option

Associate
If I'm going to a not great area yes. As the easiest method for it going missing would appear to be breaking the steering lock and wheeling it away, alarm making a racket.

The disc lock ups the entry requirements a bit. Every little helps and it's far easier to take along than a chain or a rottweiler.

Caporegime
You're really looking to stop the opportunist rather than the dedicated thief.If a disc lock will make them move on then it's a good thing to have.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone use disclocks anymore when out and about? I usually just put the steering lock on, and set the tilt alarm, but was idly wondering if a disclock would be "worth" it, or are they more hassle than they're worth? I known they are literally just a visual deterrent, but what are your thoughts on them?
Ta
Steering lock is useless. Crappy Amazon special disc locks are also useless but theres no reason to not have something like a Pragmasis roundlock that you can easily carry for rides. Though if you want one you will have to get in quick as they are unfortunately closing down later this year

Caporegime
I'm confused as to why they're closing, they sell one of, if not the best product in their field. Might be personal reasons or just poor management. I've got two of their chains with roundlocks and nothing will get through them without a fight. Also good for lamping thieves.

Associate
I bought a Litelok X3 which is a D lock that goes through your wheel/fork. They've been reviewed to be the most effective portable anti-theft device. Not cheap, but if you want an angle grinder & bolt cutter resistant lock, it's the best. I've seen on Youtube how quickly the scum get through thick chains (seconds), iirc this lock took 4-5 minutes and multiple cutting discs. Won't stop them putting it on the back of a van though.

Man of Honour
I'm confused as to why they're closing, they sell one of, if not the best product in their field. Might be personal reasons or just poor management. I've got two of their chains with roundlocks and nothing will get through them without a fight. Also good for lamping thieves.
The explanation on their website basically says all their costs have rocketed and no ones got any spare money to buy their kit. Plus the guy that owns it seems to be struggling with his health.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sold my bike a year or so back, so been looking to get back into it... Triumph Trident 660 worth a go? Any other recommendations?
yes its a nice bike. Very linear on the power but has some nice features. Love the dash on it.
I learnt to ride on one and definitely prefer it over something like a sv650

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom