Bikers What Cam Do You Use?

Associate
i use a SJCAM Sj4000 Wifi,, Fantastic quality camera.. extremely strong..
ive got mine modified though, i opened it up, de-soldered the crappy mic, and soldered in a 3.5mm jack socket, to connect up an eternal mic (the mic thats velcro'd inside my helmet)

Associate
Hi all,
I have been mulling over a camera for a while now, not to start vlogging, more to re-watch any interesting events, like one on the A5 over the weekend, but thats another story :rolleyes:

My current HJC lid has a slider on the top for the built in sun visor and a button in front of that to spring it back so the top is out. The front has my vent which I use way more than I thought I ever would and the left side has my Scala G9.
So what I am looking for is something to go on the right, but ideally something small-ish.

I like the look of the Drift camera as they look pretty good without being bulky, but I am actually after a specific camera and don't know what it is :confused:

It has a remote that when pressed "seems" to record the last few minutes, I guess that would be definable, rather than recording a constant stream. I remember seeing someone on Youtube using one and thought it would be great to only capture the things you wanted and not all of it to edit after.

Anyone know what the cam is, or if it exists? I might have just misunderstood the way it worked lol.

Cheers

Man of Honour
Hi all,
I have been mulling over a camera for a while now, not to start vlogging, more to re-watch any interesting events, like one on the A5 over the weekend, but thats another story :rolleyes:

My current HJC lid has a slider on the top for the built in sun visor and a button in front of that to spring it back so the top is out. The front has my vent which I use way more than I thought I ever would and the left side has my Scala G9.
So what I am looking for is something to go on the right, but ideally something small-ish.

I like the look of the Drift camera as they look pretty good without being bulky, but I am actually after a specific camera and don't know what it is :confused:

It has a remote that when pressed "seems" to record the last few minutes, I guess that would be definable, rather than recording a constant stream. I remember seeing someone on Youtube using one and thought it would be great to only capture the things you wanted and not all of it to edit after.

Anyone know what the cam is, or if it exists? I might have just misunderstood the way it worked lol.

Cheers

The problem with those cameras is if something bad happens , you either may not be in a position to hit the button to save the footage or you'll forget with everything else going on.

I've just come back form 2 weeks in Spain, Contour Roam2 stuck to side of lid and it's given fantastic footage all in HD... result. For me, small, neat, easy to attach and great fucntionality.

I use one of these great little cameras and the rotating stick on mount means you can angle it so it doesn't catch the speedo ;)

Associate
The problem with those cameras is if something bad happens , you either may not be in a position to hit the button to save the footage or you'll forget with everything else going on.

Do you know I never actually thought of it that way :eek:, I might look at getting 2 at some point, one for my helmet for the bits I want and a continuous one wired to th ignition fixed to the bike.

TallPaul_S - Excellent, I'll have a look into them then, they look a decent size for what I want.

Soldato
The reason I got a 64gb sd card is so that I can just start recording at the start of my commute and stop it when I'm home, should fit a good few days worth of footage. And the yi has a loop option too. As tom_e says, if you have a big off you won't be able to press the button to record, and it could be you need that footage to prove who was at fault.

Soldato
Getting some condensation issues in the Yi case when on a ride this morning, seems to be when facing directly into the sun, although might also be becuase it was coldish and the camera heats up. Might stick a silica gel pack into the case, should be room at the back for one.

Also with the stock battery from a full charge I got 65 minutes of 1080p 60fps recording. So with the 2x extra 1200mAh batteries I should have 3.5hours worth - and the charger works by USB so I can charge batteries while on the bike if I'm out riding for a while.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I only get a tiny bit on a really cold morning on the edges, but with lens rectification this issue disappears.

Caporegime

i think the drift does continuous and the button just saves the X minutes you choose as a separate file as well.

but even a continuous camera depends on someone hitting the stop button for you before it loops around again.

Soldato
i think the drift does continuous and the button just saves the X minutes you choose as a separate file as well.

but even a continuous camera depends on someone hitting the stop button for you before it loops around again.

Chances are the battery would run out before it started to re-write the oldest files. Even a 2-3 hour battery life wouldn't fill a 32gb SD card.

Soldato
Got the Yi batteries and charger today, just tested out the 1200mAh battery and it got 80 minutes of solid recording at 1080p 60fps, vs around 65 minutes for the standard battery, so a decent increase. Means I have 3 batteries and can charge 2 at a time in the charger, nearly 4 hours worth of recording time with no recharging.

Also picked up a 20000mAh powerbank, I can keep this charged on the bike and use it to charge stuff while camping or riding.

One

One

Soldato
So I have my first ever video currently exporting. I'll put it up in the YouTube thread shortly so you can laugh at my amateur editing skills :p

Associate
Currently I use a mixture of Drift Ghost S and GoPro 4 Black. Drift for helmet mount and GoPro for bike mounting.

I do a 4on/4off shift, at the end of my 4th shift I delete the footage, I don't bother posting it to YouTube unless something interesting happens.

Got caught out last month when in Belgium rode through a short sharp downpour and forgot the GoPro was in the skeleton housing. Killed the camera, sent it back and received a new replacement today under warranty. Well pleased, as I told them exactly what happened and expected a repair bill as it was my fault not being in the waterproof housing. Will try not to do that again :o

Back
Top Bottom