Bikers What Cam Do You Use?

Soldato
Do it! Apart from the battery life it's a great bit of kit. You'll get some condensation when it's cold outside as the camera heats up in the case, but even gopros do that. Some of the anti-fog sheets and some anti fog spray on the inside of the case should sort it.

Soldato
The out of focus thing - I think they're meant for the 'selfie' market and have the focus set at a close distance - mine seems to have stuff nice and sharp between 2ft and 20ft, with stuff in the distance being out of focus. It should be anything from 2m to infinity that's in focus, mine is deffo focused a little too close, but I've just adjusted the focus on mine - it's not that hard a job tbh. Although I'll have to wait to see what it's like as I don't have a micro HDMI cable, thought it was a mini HDMI port. Doh!

Associate
Xiaomi Yi

2ahtpqe.jpg
Day was very overcast doesn't do it justice.

Maybe this is better?

zule7a.jpg

I've used the KingMA waterproof case for it and the official and the official is miles better than the KingMa (the latch was funny on it) I have had to use the anti mist pad things in though especially on warm days!

You can get the official case for like 8 quid takes about a week and half to come maybe.

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it's the opposite for misting - the camera gets warm after being on for 20 minutes, and when it's cold outside the temp difference means you get a ring of mist on the inside.

Do those anti-fog pads work? I'm finding as it's cold it the mornings I'm misting up half way through my commute!

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone know if John Lewis price match Tesco Direct? I'm gonna get myself a GoPro after a close call with some daft cow yesterday morning (deliberate as well!). Was gonna go for Innovv but a fixed cam would have missed it all.

Associate
I find it's the opposite for misting - the camera gets warm after being on for 20 minutes, and when it's cold outside the temp difference means you get a ring of mist on the inside.

Do those anti-fog pads work? I'm finding as it's cold it the mornings I'm misting up half way through my commute!

The reason I say this is I have been out in a belter of a day and in about 20 minutes the camera lens was completely misted up.

212ai44.jpg

I have used them about a week but with the recent dip in weather I've not been able to get much footage anyway the only bits I have got are going over and back to Bradford haha but it does seem to be better.

were as in a cooler day after the same amount of time

30wbbpd.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my email through, took them about 2 hours to confirm it and yes they will.
I was a bit dubious with it being Tesco Direct (online only pricing) rather than just Tesco.

Soldato
You guys seen the rare and exclusive "semi blackout" version of the Xiaomi Yi?

;):p

As it's getting darker I'm more aware that the blue (and some of the time, girly pink) ring LED is seriously bright, so I've modded mine a little :D

And the blind focus adjust has made a bit of difference, will have to wait until the weekend until it's light to set it properly, but it's definitely better.

Associate
That was my next try, anyone recommend any? (antifog stuffs)

I forgot to pick some up when I was last at squires :(

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
You guys seen the rare and exclusive "semi blackout" version of the Xiaomi Yi?

;):p

As it's getting darker I'm more aware that the blue (and some of the time, girly pink) ring LED is seriously bright, so I've modded mine a little :D

And the blind focus adjust has made a bit of difference, will have to wait until the weekend until it's light to set it properly, but it's definitely better.

You can just turn the ring led off in the settings lol

Also it's worth pointing out that you need a smart phone to properly operate the yi. There's also a python script you can download to do from your laptop.

Soldato
But if I turn the ring off I can't tell if it's recording, as the 3 tiny little red lights are impossible to see.

You need a smartphone for doing time lapse stuff, and altering the settings, yes, but not for normal video. Set it whatever you want, 1080/60 etc. turn on, press record, job done.

One

One

Soldato
But if I turn the ring off I can't tell if it's recording, as the 3 tiny little red lights are impossible to see.

You need a smartphone for doing time lapse stuff, and altering the settings, yes, but not for normal video. Set it whatever you want, 1080/60 etc. turn on, press record, job done.
The last sentence negates the first sentence :p

Soldato
Well... yes you don't need to see that it's recording - but it's always good to be able to check to make sure it's not run out of battery, or died for some other reason. :D

Back
Top Bottom