Biking Do's & Don'ts

Soldato
I'd argue - Learn how to properly front-brake in a bend!
You can do it and some schools teach it, but it must be used with care, else you risk overloading the front tyre and spinning the back out into a lowside.
Having binned a 125 doing just this, I find it works easier on heavier bikes.

Isn't this called trail braking.. a bit like dragging your rear brake through the corner for fine adjustment on the exit. Except with the front you want to be breaking before turn so the tyre is mashed into the ground before the corner so as you turn there isn't any sudden jerk of movement through the forks or on the discs. Brilliant for if your on a 'spirited' run and aren't to sure of the roads

EDIT: Well maybe not 'mashed' that sounds extreme, what you want is to be gentle and plant the tyre. Anyway works great for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't this called trail braking.. a bit like dragging your rear brake through the corner for fine adjustment on the exit. Except with the front you want to be breaking before turn so the tyre is mashed into the ground before the corner so as you turn there isn't any sudden jerk of movement through the forks or on the discs. Brilliant for if your on a 'spirited' run and aren't to sure of the roads

EDIT: Well maybe not 'mashed' that sounds extreme, what you want is to be gentle and plant the tyre. Anyway works great for me.

People actually are recommending trail braking up to the apex of a corner to load up the front... I do it if I've overcooked it but not sure I'd want to to do every corner, might work fine on a silky smooth track

Soldato
People actually are recommending trail braking up to the apex of a corner to load up the front... I do it if I've overcooked it but not sure I'd want to to do every corner, might work fine on a silky smooth track

Yup, lots of racing stuff doesn't translate very well at all into roads. People recommending racing techniques for the road must remember that tracks are checked for oil, maintained, cleaned, etc!

Soldato
Its something to know, as like i said and you said, not sure of roads, corner is tighter than you thought/overcooked it, this can help keep you in your lane/upright. Not for every corner, that's just silly and asking for new leathers and helmet.

Soldato
Yup, lots of racing stuff doesn't translate very well at all into roads. People recommending racing techniques for the road must remember that tracks are checked for oil, maintained, cleaned, etc!
Not sure this is a "racing technique", as I was taught to do it on DAS... Done right, you can brake quite a lot and it mostly just stands the bike upright. We were taught it partly to prove that you actually can.
The skill comes in knowing how much you can brake at how much lean, and being controlled enough that you can steer against the initial direction as the bike stands up, rather than blasting across the white line.

Same for the back brake in the corner thing - Some is good, but too much will have you faceplanting the tarmac.

I use front brake while leant over a lot... but I don't SLAM them on. I just use it for control, which the bike does very nicely. I do it comparatively more heavily on roads I do know, whereas on those I don't I am more focussed on setting up before the turn. I wouldn't be using it while scraping pegs, though!!

Associate
Don't give the bikers nod in London, no one does and there's too many bikers you'd be nodding every second.

Do buy second hand stuff, loads of people get into biking only to give it up a for various reasons. This means there's loads of used gear about some of it completely unused going for bargain prices.

Always secure your bike the best you can. I learned this the hard way, they're too easy to steal and someone will have it.

Not sure this is a "racing technique", as I was taught to do it on DAS... Done right, you can brake quite a lot and it mostly just stands the bike upright. We were taught it partly to prove that you actually can.

On your DAS? We were taught to keep our speed down going into corners to avoid having to brake which is probably sensible for new riders.

One

One

Soldato
That's the one thing I found I had to pay attention to most when transitioning from car to bike. Slow down way before the corner because if you need to stop in the corner you can't so try your best not to need to.

Do ABS systems know how cranked over you are or are they not that advanced?

VoG

VoG

Soldato
abs is just a normal brake only it pulsates slightly so not to lock the wheel? doesn't know or care about lean angle as far as im aware

Not anymore, Bosch introduced a cornering abs a couple of years ago which has been picked up by several manufacturers.

Oh and don't filter aggressively, all it takes is one annoyed plonker in a car sticking a wing out & it's bye bye bike at best, & bye bye leg from the knee down if it's really a nasty one.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it as simple as that?

Yup, if you do your DAS on a bike with ABS you are either shown ABS working or got it working on your MOD 1 training. You just hear loads of clicks to stop the wheel locking up and you skidding.

Do not try to go through the drive thru at McDonald's no matter how large the queue is inside.

I was just about to do that at a KFC the other day but my 'frunk' was full so I didn't bother.

One

One

Soldato
I got my license on an ABS bike and never activated it myself, even on the emergency stop, and wasn't shown either. My current bike basically doesn't have brakes.

Back
Top Bottom