Bioware's Anthem

Soldato
i have been left very unsure what tro think about the game.
Reminds me a lot of destiny 2 which i completed and liked but dont want a remake lol

The one thing i did notice was a lot of loading screens, very odd amount.
Completed the demo story and done some free exploring which gives you events out the blue.
Not done the raid/dungeon thingy yet.

Im tempted to cancel my pre order now.

Man of Honour
Im getting a real Destiny like flop feeling about this, even many of the streamers Ive watched today have been saying things in a manner , and even almost word for word at times, that they did prior to Destiny coming out. That same strange almost marketing hype way of talking that feels like they're part of some big PR exercise. Just feels, I dont know...like I've seen and heard this particular thing all before. Sort of get the feeling that its going to go down the same path as Destiny, where loads of people talk about it and its top on Twitch for the first 6 weeks and then 3 months later hardly any bugger is playing it still.

In nerd speak...my spidey senses are tingling.

Soldato
I've noticed quite a few violently flickering textures, also camera rotation is slightly hitchy but not that bad. They seem to have kept the same cringeworthy dialogue from Mass Effect Andromeda. Flying was quite fun though.

Man of Honour
Im getting a real Destiny like flop feeling about this, even many of the streamers Ive watched today have been saying things in a manner , and even almost word for word at times, that they did prior to Destiny coming out. That same strange almost marketing hype way of talking that feels like they're part of some big PR exercise. Just feels, I dont know...like I've seen and heard this particular thing all before. Sort of get the feeling that its going to go down the same path as Destiny, where loads of people talk about it and its top on Twitch for the first 6 weeks and then 3 months later hardly any bugger is playing it still.

In nerd speak...my spidey senses are tingling.

"Influencers" sadly something that has infested the gaming industry of late. There are a number of streamers that pass themselves off as enthusiasts but are fully doing it professionally the whole thing an entire act.

Associate
It's another turd you can't polish. All that talent they have and that's what they came up with....
I found it almost unplayable with the default FoV.
Horrible UI, truly awful.
Who the hell came up with the default keybinds? I've never seen anything so stupid lol.
Flying is just flying into things with the utterly crap way they've translated it onto keyboard and mouse.
Everything felt clunky and no where near ready for a game so close to release.

I have a 4k monitor, switched it to 1920 x 1080, "the game" switched HDR on by itself and the the screen went blank and unrecoverable lol.
So glad I did a few missions before I messed with gfx settings, I uninstalled after it was unrecoverable.

Smacks you in the face this is a bad console port and was never meant for PC, utter disgrace.

I'm honestly glad in a way, I'd vowed to myself not to give any of my money to EA again.

Last edited:
Associate
Very much mixed on this, will keep my preorder and definately play at release. Whether it will hold my attention past Division 2 release I'm not sure.

On the one hand the missions had some decent mechanics, fights were fun and could get quite intense at times. It looks great and the suit customisation and loot seemed pretty cool. There were hints that there might be some semi-interesting story, being a Bioware game I hope at least a little of that DNA has crept in.

On the other hand I can't shake the feeling it's a pure console-first destiny clone. The controls, flying and especially swimming were infuriating and mouse floatyness seemed really noticable on the sniper rifles. For a "demo" there were quite a few stupid bugs like the respawn bug, mobs despawning, loading/connection issues which I'm sure turned people off.

I also didn't really get on with the colossus suit, it was fun but since the combat is designed around movement it felt super ineffective at times. Needs a buff, at least so you can fire your shoulder weapon and drop your support skill while having breaching shield up.

Associate
Just a heads up for anyone that tried minimizing the game and gets a black windowed screen. I thought it was crashing when i did that but if you hit ALT+Enter it will bring the game back up. Keep doing it until you get full screen back.

Associate
You can play the demo free on Origin now. Downloading it myself right now. 43gb in size. Better be good but from the comments In here I am in for some dissapointment but I have to try it to see how hard it might flop.

Just had a look myself, can we play it this weekend because this is the "vip demo" thats live atm?
or do we have to wait till 1-3rd feb for the public demo.

Back
Top Bottom