Bioware's Anthem

Associate
Enjoying it overall. Server issues I can ignore as they will be fixed. The same with many of the bugs, although being a demo it’s disappointing how common they are. Can’t tell how much is linked to the server issues though.

I’m happy with the ranger play style. Mixed feelings about the colossus. The heavy weapons and abilities are great. The shield is Reinhardt from overwatch; need to get the timing and direction of it but it’s a game changer. The problem is it’s just too slow at turning, jumping etc. I’ve not got the hang of it yet but was taking tons of damage as I couldn’t get out the way or I was flinched and couldn’t react.

Soldato
Play for a couple of hours and it's ok. I don't like the Ui or the flying controls. I went in with meh level of expectation and they have about been met. I will give the full version a go but only as I foolishly got access premier for BFV.

I did notice this on the demo information web page, I wonder what else they have also changed to make the game more appealing in the demo
The VIP Demo In-Game Economy

The VIP Demo is a taste of the final game that we hope will leave you wanting more. To make sure you get the full Anthem experience in a short timeframe, the in-game economy you will experience has been adjusted for the demo. Please note that it will differ from the economy in the full game in the following ways:

• The economy is different than the final game. This includes: the earn rate on XP, items, Coin, and access to certain customization options.
  • You will start the demo with 100 Coin, to encourage players to customise their javelin’s cosmetics.
  • For simplicity, each item in the demo costs 25 Coin. In the main game, the price of those items will be different.
https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/anth...&utm_medium=social&cid=55847&ts=1548504605485

Soldato
I really want to like this game but the demo has been an utter atrocity.

I have played for hours in free play gunning down enemies and collecting loot but every time I end a session the game just will not load out and therefore will not show me what loot I got... How on earth was a game designed this way? Surely the items should just sit in my inventory regardless of whether I end a session!

I then played some more and I was unable to pick up loot at all, it would just sit there on the floor as I walked over it. I haven't been keeping track really but I also think it stopped awarding me levels.

As everyone has already said the interface is abysmal, designed for a controller setup and completely unsuited to mouse and keyboard. The interface is also really buggy and icons fail to load 80% of the time making stuff stupidly hard to do.

FPS seems pretty low for what we're looking at from a graphic perspective which is super dumbed down from those reveal trailers in the first place. In fact this is probably the lowest FPS I have seen in any game to date on my 1080ti. Running at 3440x1440 most modern games are running 80 - 140 FPS but Anthem is often around 60 and rarely above 70.

In conclusion I don't know what this Demo was meant to be, most of the time companies release a 'Beta' which is basically final game code. In this case they have released a 'Demo' which is riddled with issues of every kind.

Soldato
This demo has improved the controls especially with flying from the closed alpha, done all the missions but can't finish the strike as it boots you out towards the end.

Shame you can only unlock 1 additionally frame, went with T H I C C boi and the movement feels like it should for being in a bigger frame.

Played for 3 hours this morning had 1 crash to desktop when it didn't pull the full party forward and had the issue where all game sounds disappears.

Still not put an order in yet.

Associate
The controls are a lot better compared to the alpha. I'm actually enjoying the gameplay but the UI its driving me insane.

From the settings menu to grouping up menu... arghhhhh Oh and the hub area. If the UI, hub area and grouping up systems were a lot more PC friendly i think I would love this but at the moment it just feels like hassle finishing a quest then going back in for another go.

Associate
I really want to like this game but the demo has been an utter atrocity.

I have played for hours in free play gunning down enemies and collecting loot but every time I end a session the game just will not load out and therefore will not show me what loot I got... How on earth was a game designed this way? Surely the items should just sit in my inventory regardless of whether I end a session!

I then played some more and I was unable to pick up loot at all, it would just sit there on the floor as I walked over it. I haven't been keeping track really but I also think it stopped awarding me levels.

As everyone has already said the interface is abysmal, designed for a controller setup and completely unsuited to mouse and keyboard. The interface is also really buggy and icons fail to load 80% of the time making stuff stupidly hard to do.

FPS seems pretty low for what we're looking at from a graphic perspective which is super dumbed down from those reveal trailers in the first place. In fact this is probably the lowest FPS I have seen in any game to date on my 1080ti. Running at 3440x1440 most modern games are running 80 - 140 FPS but Anthem is often around 60 and rarely above 70.

In conclusion I don't know what this Demo was meant to be, most of the time companies release a 'Beta' which is basically final game code. In this case they have released a 'Demo' which is riddled with issues of every kind.

Funny you should say that about the FPS and graphics quality. I was talking to someone on discord last night, we both played the alpha, it seems that the graphics have been dumbed down a bit (from the alpha) but is demanding a lot more PC power. Fingers crossed that means its just a build issue.

Soldato
Garbage.

That's the only word that can describe this demo. I'm not even going to go into every single technical detail that's completely borked, because there's just so many of them. I was honestly expecting this game to be mediocre at best, and truly it encapsulates the essence of mediocrity, but I really thought that at least it would be without technical issues, like these soulless games usually are especially from EA. Shocked by the state it's in and if we also take gameplay into account I don't see how this is a decent game without at least 2 more years of development.

I have to thank EA for the demos though, it saved me buying so many of their games over the years.

Associate
Its interesting though - the fact they have an open demo before release suggests very strongly that they were very sure it was going to get a good reception...….

Havent preordered so waiting for the plebs demo next week :)

Associate
Still no joy getting in on my account so i played an hour there on a friends account and its very underwhelming.

Its okay i suppose but the gunplay is not as good as destiny,warframe or the division [ie other looter shooters]
Movement is not as good as warframe,infact the flying and swimming on PC is utterly broken.
FOV is weird,graphics are decent but nothing special.

I want it to be great as im obsessed with looter games and have been for the last 15 years [sad i know] but the core gameplay feels very average so far to me.

Associate
I’m happy with the ranger play style. Mixed feelings about the colossus. The heavy weapons and abilities are great. The shield is Reinhardt from overwatch; need to get the timing and direction of it but it’s a game changer. The problem is it’s just too slow at turning, jumping etc. I’ve not got the hang of it yet but was taking tons of damage as I couldn’t get out the way or I was flinched and couldn’t react.

Yea agree and glad it's not jsut me, I think the colossus could really do with a buff in a few ways.

Soldato
Yea agree and glad it's not jsut me, I think the colossus could really do with a buff in a few ways.
Yea I'm not sure what I was doing with the colossus, it is supposed to be the tank but I had no health regen or shield? I know I can pick up health packs but... It was just super weird. Then I saw another guy in a colossus who appeared to have a shield... Idk, wish I had unlocked the melee suit

Soldato
OK I think I know what happened with my game...

After trying to start a free play again and failing I tried once more a d only played like 5 minutes. I managed to finish this session and now everything I picked up showed up in the final loot. I gather what happened is that my loot pants were full so I couldn't pick up any more loot until I finished a session. Weird.

Soldato
Played 5 or so hours so far. Have to say, I'm disappointed. I really wanted this to be good but had serious reservations, turns out they were right. What's the point in a demo if your serves overload and crash on the first day. Then on the second day, people constantly get game breaking bugs, like this infinite loading glitch.

The concept of the game is cool and the art work is nice. However there's far too many particle effects, it becomes disorientating. Honestly seems like they're trying to distract you with a pixel firework show, so you don't notice what lies beneath. Other issues:

• Limited abilities, which clearly are all unlocked very early in the game. Therefore you're constantly chaining the same skills.
  • Only 30 odd levels to grind out.
  • All the scenery is the same and they've confirmed the full game will all look like the demo. No other landscapes like desert etc.
  • Loading screens, so ****ing many loading screens. Even with a high spec PC these take forever, it's 2019, not 2000.
  • Clunky flight controls with K&M, may improve with practice.

Unless they make huge leaps in the next month I won't be buying this, which is a real shame. I wanted a good PvE game I could relax and enjoy.

Again, this is a demo i.e. a small portion of a finished game, not a beta. They chose to call it that. Very poor, what I expect when EA are involved tbh.

This. Anything EA is involved with it’ll be a **** show.

Back
Top Bottom