Bioware's Anthem

I did hear rumours before Christmas that the game code was in a mess and the game was going to be delayed but looks like EA want their finances in order before the end of the fiscal year so screw the customers and please the stockholders.

This just looks like another generic loot grinder game tbh. No real substance.

Bioware's games have been getting progressively worse ever since they sold out to EA. The last great game they did was DA:O really.

Last edited:
so yet again EA is pushing out a console game on the pc thats buggy as hell, oh well not like none of us didnt expect this.

Hehhee, love it.

Anyroad, Digital Foundry corroborates my experience. They reckon the graphical settings aren't doing what they should as there is not much difference in FPS going from Ultra to Medium.

Just going purely on my own experience across 3 systems:

5930k @ 4.25Ghz / 1080Ti (stock) - 1440p Ultra settings - netting between 60 and 90 FPS depending on the setting and whats going on during gameplay.

8700k @ 4.4Ghz (all core) / 1080Ti (stock) - 1440p Ultra settings - Basically the same as above in "feel" although I have not benchmarked both directly (will do tomorrow).

2700x @ 4Ghz (all core) / 1060 (stock) - 1080p High settings - 50-60FPS most of the time with drops down into the mid 40's during heavy fire fights.

I seem to be doing ok based on what I have seen others say online. Again the above is just what I have observed / experienced directly.

I would say though I cannot play the game at all with a KB & mouse. I found it an absolute mess both in terms of feel and key layout (couldn't find one that worked). It feels ok on controller (very ME:Andromeda which I enjoyed gameplay wise).

Not 100% sold yet but planning to play a bit more later today before the demo ends.

Hehhee, love it.

Anyroad, Digital Foundry corroborates my experience. They reckon the graphical settings aren't doing what they should as there is not much difference in FPS going from Ultra to Medium.

You seem pretty eager to ignore the fact that they quite clearly state that the code they were running isn't actually the finalised release version. Why is that?

I would say though I cannot play the game at all with a KB & mouse. I found it an absolute mess both in terms of feel and key layout (couldn't find one that worked). It feels ok on controller (very ME:Andromeda which I enjoyed gameplay wise).

It's a shame it still feels this way as this was a common complaint of users of the Alpha.

You seem pretty eager to ignore the fact that they quite clearly state that the code they were running isn't actually the finalised release version. Why is that?

because the games out in a couple of weeks and if the engines running like a two legged hippo with a walking stick now theres bigger issues than the ole drivers optimisation bs. especially when its on a engine that is well known to nvidia and amd.

It's a shame it still feels this way as this was a common complaint of users of the Alpha.

Definitely feels better than alpha but needs work, think devs said the release build (different from the forked demo build which is 2 months old supposedly) has improved it. Played some more this weekend, up to 15 hours across alpha/VIP and open demo. Its core gameplay loop is fun enough but again not sure about longevity.

Things to improve:

1. M&KB controls though as above supposedly improved in release build.
2. Feedback from kills/weapons. Some feel great and the combos and ultimates pack punch but it seems inconsistent and definitely needs to be improved to give the sense of power.
3. Performance - I'm not sure how Bioware have managed to make Frostbite run like a pig when it is notoriously a pretty damn good engine! Possibly a debugger capturing data running in the background for the demo periods? Not sure but it doesn't make sense when you look at how well BFV runs maxed out.
4. Content - More a TBC but I think this is where it will fall flat.

Anyway will be playing at launch as part of premier and can tide me over until Division 2 comes out!

from what i've played of anthem so far so good, the flight mechanics have vastly improved from the alpha, plus the transision from air into water has been much improved, going into the water is much more controllable from the alpha (it was a bloody mess), performance wise with my 7900x, 32gb ram and a 2080ti i'm very impressed (alough i should be with a pc like that) at 1440p high/ultra i'm hitting high 90's exploring around and during heavy fire fights down in the mid 80's which is perfect.
i did try dsr 4k and with the frame rate locked at 60fps the games was stunningly beautiful and the frame rate most of the time was at 60fps, during heavy fire figts i did see 45 fps at one point which made it a bit cluncky but i was able to play and as soon as that part was over back to 60 fps.
will be playing a bit more today but as far as i can see its on my radar to buy at this point

Bits of it are okay - i.e. the flying and customisation/skills but the core gameplay just seems the same old stuff we have seen done (better) in the Division/Destiny/Warframe. For the price they are asking and the spectre of the EA MT shop lurking post release (and just how much of the current unlocked custimisation will be behind it) I am going to wait I think. The Division 2 looks like the better bet.

Well are they going to give me a free trial of final code to try? Because based on that demo it’s a certain no buy! Why in god’s name would you release a demo of code that is in that state? Because they don’t care. It’s Andromeda all over again.

Back
Top Bottom